Strange FPS lock on GTA 5

• powersteering
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #1 by powersteering Strange FPS lock on GTA 5 was created by powersteering
Yes, I just made an account to report on this issue, which has been bothering me for the longest time. I hope I posted this in the right subforum. If I haven't, feel free to move it, admin.

So, whenever I install any sort of Reshade to GTA 5, there will always be a sort of a FPS lock to a low FPS, no matter what I do, no matter what Reshade version, and no matter what mods I use, it's always the same problem.

Now, the lock point seems to differ from preset to preset, but it still bothers me, as it usually locks to lower than 30 FPS, which looks horrid. And I know it isn't that my PC can't handle it, as if I alt+tab out of GTA, and alt+tab back in, I get a minute of extremely smooth gameplay with 60+ FPS until it locks again. And yes, the Reshade visibly is on during this minute. It's not only after a certain time the FPS locks though, I can also trigger it to lock the FPS by:
-Turning on my car's lights (sometimes locks, sometimes doesn't)
-Changing to either first-person or cinematic cam (still, doesn't lock everytime)
-Pulling up my phone (guaranteed way to trigger the FPS lock, oddly enough)

Yes, I've made sure every single setting, both in Reshade and ENB config files, that could lock the FPS were disabled, yet it still happens. It's really frustrating as I know my computer can very well handle the Reshade config, just it locks itself.

My specs:
i5 4460
12GB RAM
GTX 770
Windows 10 ver. 1607

Without Reshade, I can run the game very well. And with ENB the game still runs very well. Just when I add Reshade it starts locking the FPS at random points. I've also tried Reshade without ENB and it still does the same thing. As I said, it differs from preset to preset. Some lock my FPS at a playable 45, while most are 30 or below.

Any solutions?
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by powersteering. Reason: Messed up title and unsure about subforum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
6 years 11 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Strange FPS lock on GTA 5
Check your GPU memory usage. There is a good chance you simply run out of memory by chaining all those together. Both ENB and ReShade have to create quite a few buffers that can take up huge memory regions, so that there is not enough left for the game itself. If that's the case, there are some options to minimize this:
* Remove ReShade effect files you do not use. Any effects that use textures add to memory usage. It doesn't matter if they are enabled or not.
* Reduce the texture quality of the game.
* Reduce the resolution as this decreases the buffer size of various internal ENB and ReShade buffers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: powersteering

• powersteering
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #3 by powersteering Replied by powersteering on topic Strange FPS lock on GTA 5
Ok, will try and report back with results.

Oh, and I also forgot to mention that my GTX 770 is the 2 GB model, not the 4 GB one, so that might be causing memory issues but we'll see.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I'm currently running ReShade 3.0.7 with GTA 5 alongside ENB, which does have a very low lock (around 25 FPS). But still, the issue also occured in both the first and second versions of ReShade.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by powersteering. Reason: Forgot to mention something important

• powersteering
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #4 by powersteering Replied by powersteering on topic Strange FPS lock on GTA 5
I tried getting rid of the unused shaders, lowering the resolution and texture quality, but a sort of a FPS lock still remains. Oh well, I might as well have to upgrade my PC.

But I guess it's not as huge of a deal now, as I've found some good timecycle settings that do not affect performance and look the way I like, even without ReShade. My game is now running great! Thanks for the help though.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.