[SOLVED] Fallout 4 - dxgi.dll crash on startup

• ErfanW
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #1 by ErfanW [SOLVED] Fallout 4 - dxgi.dll crash on startup was created by ErfanW
Hi there,

I'm having a little problem here:
I came back to Fallout 4 after a couple of months of not playing.
The game was crashing on startup.
I disabled all the mods, it was still crashing on startup and pointing towards dxgi.dll file.
So I used the ENB and ReShade remover, and the game was working again even with the mods.

I'm running on Windows 7 x64, and drivers are up to date.

The only big change that happened to my PC since the last time I played FO4 is that I installed MSI Afterburner - but it wasn't running when I tried to launch FO4, and I have uninstalled it anyways since then - the problem persists still.
Also I already have ReShade setup for World of Warcraft, and it works just great.

I've looked through internet to find any solution to my problem, with no success.

I hope you can help me.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by ErfanW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ErfanW
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #2 by ErfanW Replied by ErfanW on topic Fallout 4 - dxgi.dll crash on startup
I just figured out that the dxgi.dll in my WoW folder is version 3.0.7 and that the ReShade settings I had already installed on Fallout 4, as well as those I want to install, use the version 1.1.0 of the file.

So:
ReShade 3.0 runs on Fallout 4, but 1.1.0 doesn't.

I still can't figure out why version 1.1.0 doesn't work anymore on my PC, although it did work a couple of months ago.

• ErfanW
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #3 by ErfanW Replied by ErfanW on topic Fallout 4 - dxgi.dll crash on startup
Something looks really weird with my dxgi.dll logs:

Warning: Spoiler!

• crosire
More
6 years 10 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Fallout 4 - dxgi.dll crash on startup
Looks like some other software hooks into the game as well and interfers with ReShade (since it crashes right after hooking). Make sure no third party tools are running in task manager that may do such things beside Afterburner (see reshade.me/compatibility ).
The following user(s) said Thank You: ErfanW

• ErfanW
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #5 by ErfanW Replied by ErfanW on topic Fallout 4 - dxgi.dll crash on startup
The issue was Razer Synapse.

But a couple of months ago, I had no issues when I was running both Razer Synapse and ReShade, even the older versions.

I think the issue is with the in game overlay of Razer Synapse. Even though the option is unchecked in the settings of Synapse, it still seems the launch a process called "RazerIngameEngine". Stopping this process resolved my issue, and now I can play with ReShade and Razer Synapse both launched. I just have to kill the process "RazerIngameEngine" every time I launch Synapse I guess.

Anyways, thank you m8, cheers!

• Nikmartin
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #6 by Nikmartin Replied by Nikmartin on topic Fallout 4 - dxgi.dll crash on startup
Thanks for the URL you shared. It really helpful for me.
Check This: validedge.com/fallout-4-crash-on-startup/
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Nikmartin.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.