[SOLVED] Call of Duty 2 CTD with new versions of Reshade

• stoggs1
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #1 by stoggs1 Call of Duty 2 CTD with new versions of Reshade was created by stoggs1
Hello, any time I try to use any newer version of Reshade with Call of Duty 2 the game crashes straight to the desktop after the first splash screen pops up with no errors. So far i have tried version 3.5 up to 3.8 and the result stays the same. I have also uninstalled and re installed the game a few times and to different locations on my pc.

I am running the physical retail version of the game and my specs are a gtx 960 2gb version, 16 gbs of ram, Amd fx 8320 cpu and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Call of Duty 2 CTD with new versions of Reshade
That game defines a very small stack size for its executable (only 64 kilobytes, the default on Windows is 1 megabyte), which isn't enough memory for ReShade to work with, thus causing a stack overflow during effect compilation.
This can be fixed by modifying the game executable file to allocate a larger stack on startup.
I quickly wrote a simple tool which does that: download link .
Make a backup of the executable ("CoD2SP_s.exe") and then drag and drop the original on the tool. It should then fix up the file provided you have full writing permissions to the directory. Btw., the tool works on any executable, so should there be more older games with this issue, it will fix those too.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlueSkyKnight, HekutoruMAC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.