DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7

• JohnFromSteam
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #1 by JohnFromSteam DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7 was created by JohnFromSteam
I figured this out from my previous thread, DDON with ReShade crashing and have now figured out that ALL DirectX 9 games crash with ReShade, when just a week ago it was working perfectly. No one decided to help so I'm kinda alone on this front, but I decided to make a new thread considering this is a new issue. I install ReShade on either Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Star Wars: Empire At War (and FoC), only add LumaSharpen and Vibrance, and boom, the game crashes on startup with no reason why. I desperately want to use ReShade on games but these are my fav games that just don't work anymore with ReShade, any help is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JohnFromSteam
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #2 by JohnFromSteam Replied by JohnFromSteam on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
I checked Event Viewer as I remembered it was a thing and this was the error that was provided with the start of FoC

Faulting application name: swfoc.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4a83aec7
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.15063.447, time stamp: 0xd51d5c5e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0002be72
Faulting process id: 0x53e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d321ca78fc582c
Faulting application path: E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars Empire at War\corruption\swfoc.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: a5265666-13de-4e9e-af22-a9f64954df65
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

• ryurix
More
6 years 7 months ago #3 by ryurix Replied by ryurix on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
Same problem with Mount & Blade.
Looks like it's because last Windows 10 update.

• JohnFromSteam
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #4 by JohnFromSteam Replied by JohnFromSteam on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
FINALLY! Dude, no one has even given me a reply on my other thread and this one and thank you for tellin' me it's W10. I did suspect Windows 10 considering there was absolutely no changes whatsoever the day it worked to the day it kept crashing, but I didn't know Windows 10 likes to sneakily install updates until recently.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by JohnFromSteam.
The following user(s) said Thank You: raaaaav

• raaaaav
More
6 years 7 months ago #5 by raaaaav Replied by raaaaav on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
Same here, been having this issue pretty much since the creators update came out. :(

• unic0rn
More
6 years 7 months ago #6 by unic0rn Replied by unic0rn on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
no crashes here, windows 10 with creators update (it was a fresh install).

i've got some weird problems in GTA IV as mentioned in my other thread though, and depth buffer missing in games where it should be supported.

• ryurix
More
6 years 7 months ago #7 by ryurix Replied by ryurix on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
My ReShade crash only on Intel graphics. On NVidia everything ok.

• Uxot
More
6 years 2 days ago - 6 years 2 days ago #8 by Uxot Replied by Uxot on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
Wow after 7 months i have this issue...i can't find a fix or HELP here -_-
Last edit: 6 years 2 days ago by Uxot.

• Kapanth
More
5 years 11 months ago #9 by Kapanth Replied by Kapanth on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
I also have this problem, currently trying to make it work with Batman Arkham Asylum but everytime I launch the game it hangs for a while and then a message appears saying it stopped working. I too have windows 10 fully updated.

• lowenz
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #10 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
Dege (dgVoodoo2's creator) says this about the interaction with Unreal Engine D3D8+dgVoodoo 2 games (maybe it's the same thing for UE D3D9 games)

It crashes right at startup, when creating the internal swapchain of the D3D8 device. Referencing NULL ptr.

For more information on the case:

> D3D8.dll!D3D11Root::ApplyRenderTargets(unsigned int adapterID, ID3D11RenderTargetView * rt0, ID3D11RenderTargetView * rt1, ID3D11DepthStencilView * pDepthStencilView) Line 1297 C++

in dgVoodoo this method calls OMSetRenderTargets in the following form:

ID3D11RenderTargetView* rt[2] = {rt0, rt1};
adapter.pD3D11DeviceContext->OMSetRenderTargets (2, rt, pDepthStencilView);

rt0 and rt1 are both NULL, only pDepthStencilView is non-NULL. My guess is ReShade expects at least one non-NULL rendertarget (this code didn't change in dgVoodoo for ages).

Also, Crosire wrote that dgVoodoo deadlocks for him. Well, for Unreal Engine games it can indeed deadlock: since the engine forces the mouse cursor at the center of the physical window, it can easily go outside of the mouse range expected by dgVoodoo which tries to force it back, and this ping-pong results in deadlock.
For Unreal engine games it's better to set 'FreeMouse = true' in the GeneralExt config section.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by lowenz.

• Uxot
More
5 years 11 months ago #11 by Uxot Replied by Uxot on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
ETS2/ATS doesn't work DX9..but dragron dogma dark arisen works (DX9) ???? WTF ???

• Kylie
More
5 years 7 months ago #12 by Kylie Replied by Kylie on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
Any updates on this? Like John I would love to play DDO with Reshade. But for now all that is supported is an old version of SweetFX.

• Timon
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #13 by Timon Replied by Timon on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
hello man, look i don't now if have solved it yet but what i did in my personal experiencie is that my dark souls didn't open so what did is go to the propeties of the exe i went to compatibility and disabled everything that why it worked perfeclty, i hope it solves your problem. and sorry for my bad english
The following user(s) said Thank You: zurion

• lukonja
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #14 by lukonja Replied by lukonja on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
This is cause ue2.5 is using dx7todx8 conversion. Its not pure dx8. Calls in dx8 are mixed with dx7 also. That's why also latest dx9 version of ue2.5 is also 9.0b = pixel shader 2.0b max. And this one uses dx8 to dx9.
UE2.5 was purely built on dx7 then later for usage of normal maps and some other shaders, they used mixed dx7 with dx8, and then dx9 in latest.
If the game has 64bit install or mod. I suggest using it.
This is all confusing but, I have read this on old 2001-5 forums on 3dbuzz, where actual Epic Team members explained whats going on under the hood of ue2.5.
the dx8,dx9 versions will not run with newest reshade unless the game is dx9.0b and 64bit.

• zurion
More
4 years 8 months ago #15 by zurion Replied by zurion on topic DirectX 9 (d3d9) games with ReShade crash 24/7
In case anyone else is having similar issues.
I've been banging my head against a wall for the past week, trying to make Reshade work with Witcher 1. If I let the d3d9.dll in the /system folder, next to witcher.exe, the game would crash with 0xc0000005 error. If I renamed the file to dxgi.dll, it would load, but reshade didn't work.

The solution was, as sugested by Timon, to go to the compatibility tab of witcher.exe and uncheck "Run in compatibility with Windows 7" and "Run as administrator".
If the options are greyed out, click on "Change settings for all users", uncheck them there, press OK twice, then open the Compatibility tab again and you should be able to uncheck those two options.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tetris5

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.