M-E:Shadow of War not working with Reshade

• Echo
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #1 by Echo M-E:Shadow of War not working with Reshade was created by Echo
Middle-earth Shadow of War is not working for me with any Reshade version (old SweetFX or new Reshade).
Am using Reshade 3.0.8 (64bit dll's). The game crashes upon launching. Tried renaming the .dll to d3d11.dll & to dxgi.dll same results.
I did see someone already running it with Reshade (on sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/1830/ )

Am running on Windows 7 64bit with the latest Nvidia drivers 387.92 (also was running on 376.33 drivers, same issue)

Hope that someone can help me find a solution for it.

Windows 7 Event Viewer:
Warning: Spoiler!

Log dxgi.txt
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Echo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Zireael
More
6 years 6 months ago #2 by Zireael Replied by Zireael on topic M-E:Shadow of War not working with Reshade
Are you using the 64 or 32 bit .dll

• Echo
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #3 by Echo Replied by Echo on topic M-E:Shadow of War not working with Reshade
64bit of course. Am very familiar with the usage of Reshade.

• Zireael
More
6 years 6 months ago #4 by Zireael Replied by Zireael on topic M-E:Shadow of War not working with Reshade
Works perfectly on Win10, maybe it's OS related.

• SLAMNDAN
More
6 years 6 months ago #5 by SLAMNDAN Replied by SLAMNDAN on topic M-E:Shadow of War not working with Reshade
Also getting an error.
2017-10-16T12:45:03:072 [04224] | ERROR | Unable to resolve hook for '0x000007FEECA6DA00'!

• Xanvast
More
6 years 6 months ago #6 by Xanvast Replied by Xanvast on topic M-E:Shadow of War not working with Reshade
It's tied to W7 apparently, it works on W10 however I can't get past the menu on 10 it randomly freezes...

• crosire
More
6 years 6 months ago #7 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic M-E:Shadow of War not working with Reshade
Looks like the game checks whether the "CreateDXGIFactory2" entry point exists in "dxgi.dll" and calls it when it does. Windows 7 does not have that entry point in the system DLL, only Windows 10 does. ReShade however has it too for compatibility with Windows 10. Now on Windows 7 the game sees that entry point in the ReShade DLL and thinks it can safely call it (which it cannot since ReShade doesn't know where to redirect that call to as the entry point doesn't exist in the system DLL) and ReShade therefore errors and crashes.
It might be enough to simply have that function return an error code when on Windows 7. But I don't have the game to verify that.
What I find strange that it doesn't work when renamed to "d3d11.dll" though, since that would have been the most obvious solution. Could you post another log of what happens when installed as "d3d11.dll"?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Echo

• SLAMNDAN
More
6 years 6 months ago #8 by SLAMNDAN Replied by SLAMNDAN on topic M-E:Shadow of War not working with Reshade
The game doesn't even create a log file when using d3d11.dll

• JBeckman
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #9 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic M-E:Shadow of War not working with Reshade

crosire wrote: Looks like the game checks whether the "CreateDXGIFactory2" entry point exists in "dxgi.dll" and calls it when it does. Windows 7 does not have that entry point in the system DLL, only Windows 10 does. ReShade however has it too for compatibility with Windows 10. Now on Windows 7 the game sees that entry point in the ReShade DLL and thinks it can safely call it (which it cannot since ReShade doesn't know where to redirect that call to as the entry point doesn't exist in the system DLL) and ReShade therefore errors and crashes.
It might be enough to simply have that function return an error code when on Windows 7. But I don't have the game to verify that.
What I find strange that it doesn't work when renamed to "d3d11.dll" though, since that would have been the most obvious solution. Could you post another log of what happens when installed as "d3d11.dll"?

Interesting, Unwinder the author of MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner Statistics Software did say something about how the game was using the D3D feature levels (One of the newer D3D11_x ones perhaps.) and had to update RTSS to be compatible with this mode, guessing it's what the above does, checks for this particular function and if available the game tries to use these features but it needs a newer OS version to function.

And not just the D3D11 Windows 7 platform update though going by the game text strings there's a check against if that's installed too but that's not too important for ReShade and this issue, saw the commit on Github checking for OS version and redirecting the CreateDXGIFactory check, hopefully that works for people who are affected by this issue. :)
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by JBeckman.

• crubino
More
6 years 6 months ago #10 by crubino Replied by crubino on topic M-E:Shadow of War not working with Reshade
Shadow of War only run fine with Reshade 2.x and Reshade 3.x under Windows 10. :)

But if you are running it with Windows 7 64bit, it would crashes.
And if we renamed the injector from dxgi.dll to d3d11.dll, Reshade would not load at all, and no create log file at all (wierd).

The only solution with Windows 7 64bit is we should using SweetFX 1.5.1 (by Boulotaur2024).
And then everything will run so fine (of course, with limited standard shaders; if compared to Reshade Framework).

Also, we cannot access depth buffer in this game.

• kinjx11
More
6 years 5 months ago #11 by kinjx11 Replied by kinjx11 on topic M-E:Shadow of War not working with Reshade
it used to work 100% with me on win10 64bit

now suddenly it does work when i snap a screenshot using reshade's printscreen however the effects are not visible when i'm playing the game , they appear for 2 seconds but when the reshade UI disappears the effects go away

very weird issue

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.