Steam Overlay support in DX11

• choin
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #1 by choin Steam Overlay support in DX11 was created by choin
Unless I'm missing something, Steam Overlay not working under DX11 with Re-Shade is a common known issue.
(currently, I'm seeing this in Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide)
I'd like to know if there are any plans to fix this.

Also, I'd like to propose a possible feature that I think may help:
Make a "lite" version of Re-Shade with no overlay support, or make a switch for this. When it's activated, load the last saved configuration like always, but don't load any overlay and control features.
If the conflict is there due to overlay features, I think it may be solved this way.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by choin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kingeric1992
More
6 years 4 months ago #2 by kingeric1992 Replied by kingeric1992 on topic Steam Overlay support in DX11
reshade is overlay...

• choin
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #3 by choin Replied by choin on topic Steam Overlay support in DX11
I'm not sure this is correct. I assumed that overlay with mouse/keyboard support requires injecting more functions than simple post-processing.

But even if you are correct, should we just assume that DX11 only supports 1 overlay at a time and leave it as is?

• crosire
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Steam Overlay support in DX11
It is correct. Overlay is a bad definition. Steam etc. do the exact same thing ReShade does, which is hook the graphics API presentation functions. This hooking involves replacing the original function with a custom one that then does all the fun stuff (in case of ReShade that's post-processing, in case for e.g. Steam that's drawing an overlay). You can generally only replace it once, since the next hook would just replace your custom function with its own custom function again. This has nothing to do with DirectX or the like. It's just a limitation of how hooking works.

(This is a simplification of what actually goes on, but serves as an explanation as to why things are the way they are and won't change)
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by crosire.

• choin
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #5 by choin Replied by choin on topic Steam Overlay support in DX11
I can understand that, I know how hooks work. But then again, Steam Overlay with ReShade works in DX9. My guess is that it's possible to make it work in DX11, but would require some extra work.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.