[SOLVED] Installer Immediate Crash...

• DrakePhoenix
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #1 by DrakePhoenix [SOLVED] Installer Immediate Crash... was created by DrakePhoenix
Hi everyone,

I just downloaded the latest ReShade and wanted to insteall for Elder Scrolls Online. However, when I run the installer file ("ReShade_Setup_3.1.2.exe"), it immediately crashes. I have the same problem with trying to run CyberGhost VPN. Both used to work fine (or at least older versions with ReShade did) and I can still run Guild Wars 2 just fine using ReShade 3.0.7 that I installed when it was first released, and ReShade works perfectly well in GW2. But the installers to install ReShade for other games fails regardless of the version used (I still have old installers for 3.0.5-3.0.8 and none of them work anymore).

Because the old ones used to work, and now none of them do, and because other programs have the same problem (immediate crash), I believe this is a problem with Windows, not ReShade, and I'm hoping someone else has had this problem and found a fix for it.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, fully updated, with an nVidia GTX 1060 using the latest drivers (391.24).

I realize it may be a bit of a long shot that anyone might have had this specific problem, but I'm hoping someone can help.

Thanks,
Drake
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by DrakePhoenix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DrakePhoenix
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #2 by DrakePhoenix Replied by DrakePhoenix on topic [SOLVED] Installer Immediate Crash...
OK, so I remembered from a while back that I had a problem updating (and then subsequently reinstalling) Adobe CC and that the workaround that made it at least possible was to activate the Administrator login account on the system, log in with that user account, and install from there.

So I tried that with this particular problem and it worked. I was able to install the latest ReShade for ESO. I also tried some of my other problem programs, such as CyberGhost and they also worked fine while logged in with that account.

This suggests a problem with my system's file/directory permissions somewhere. But at least for now I've been able to install ReShade to ESO.

Now I'm having a problem with it almost immediately crashing the game after loading the very first shader from the set, but that's a separate issue and I need to search for a solution to that before I post more about it.

I hope that anyone else who has a similar issue as this one in the future finds this workaround helpful.

Thanks,
Drake

• DrakePhoenix
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #3 by DrakePhoenix Replied by DrakePhoenix on topic [SOLVED] Installer Immediate Crash...
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post a quick follow-up. Modifying ownerships and permissions on files and folders, even resetting all permissions back to Windows defaults, didn't resolve my problems, but I was able to figure out the underlying cause (still haven't "fixed" that cause, and probably won't try to, given its nature). Also, running SFC didn't reveal any problems that could be fixed by the SFC automatic processes.

The reason why certain programs, including ReShade, refused to work was due to corruption of my Windows user identity profile. This became the most likely possibility when even a "clean boot" didn't resolve the issues but running a different user worked fine (Administrator in the first case, and then a new profile afterward). This was also the cause of ESO crashing after ReShade loaded its first shader. I started a new, clean user account and everything works perfectly fine. So although my user profile doesn't work and I have to migrate everything to my new one, at least on the new one, ESO with ReShade is working great.

So for anyone else who comes across similar issues in the future, try a different user profile on your computer, even if you have to create a new one, and see if things work ok there. If it does work in a clean user profile, but not on a "clean boot" to your normal profile, then it is a problem with your user profile.

I hope that helps someone in the future to have less frustration if they ever come across this particular problem, but I also hope no one else ever has to deal with this problem.

Later,
Drake

• crosire
More
6 years 1 month ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic [SOLVED] Installer Immediate Crash...
Now that's an interesting problem indeed.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.