OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #1 by BlueSkyKnight OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0 was created by BlueSkyKnight
Having issues with the new ReShade 4.0 release in OpenGL games. The games worked with the previous release 3.4.1.

Games List with Video and log
Prey 2006 - GL error game refuses to start.

pastebin.com/WarNGyuM

Quake 4 - Same as Prey GL error

pastebin.com/h0E2688S

Quake Epsilon running on DarkPlaces - Starts Up: But Problems with missing effects in game. Also, if I turn my shader on it CTD.

pastebin.com/HXUCFf6Y

I am assuming it effects mostly all older OpenGL Games.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by BlueSkyKnight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #2 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0
Rage32 - Gives Error: Run Time error MV C++

pastebin.com/Hahs689B

Rage64 - Starts up then CTD

pastebin.com/amJrMeLk

SOMA - Black Screen on startup
pastebin.com/CKAyf7t8

Amnesia: Machine for Pigs - Give Error: No matching GL Pixel formant

pastebin.com/XCEYdDqu

Someone else on the forum also listed Diablo 2 a OpenGL game that not working anymore. I don't have that game to test.

Wolfenstein: The New Order- seems unaffected. Until you play the game and this problem shows up. Even when you turn off your shaders in game.

DOOM seems to be not affected other than clicking ReShade menu is hard to do and I have to use the workaround used in older games such as Quake 4, Doom 3, and Prey to be able to interact with the ReShade menu. This is done by opening the in-game console to interact with it.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by BlueSkyKnight.

• crosire
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0
There have been zero changes to the OpenGL hooking code, except for an accidental context version force to 4.5 instead of 4.3, which only affects modern OpenGL titles and not old ones (this is reverted und fixed in 4.0.1). I don't see how ReShade is responsible for Windows failing to set up the pixel format (the parameters look sensible). I tried to rrun Quake on my machine and it works fine with both 4.0 and 4.0.1 for me.

There is one other OpenGL bug fixed in 4.0.1 which had to do with ReShade not resetting a state correctly after it finished rendering. This affected rendering results in some games.

The crash you saw when turning on your shader was a driver crash due to the ReShade FX compiler generating an infinite loop. This is fixed in 4.0.1 as well.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aelius Maximus, BlueSkyKnight

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #4 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0
Thank you crosire.

I will be testing the new release.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aelius Maximus

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #5 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0
Ok looks like you fixed almost all the games on the list.

I will be listing what works and what does not work.

Fixed Games
SOMA - No more solid black screen
Wolfenstein: The New Order - No more graphics abnormality.
Quake Epsilon running on DarkPlaces - No more graphics abnormality & No more CTD when selecting my shader.
Rage64 - No more CTD

Games With issues
Rage32

pastebin.com/rpaArrYR

Prey 2006

pastebin.com/VMyZqDT5

Quake 4

pastebin.com/2d2V70H3

That seems to be about it. Two of the games are basically running on the same engine.
Quake 4 and Prey 2006 run the id Tech 4. So I also tested Doom3 for a sanity check.
Sure enough same problem.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #6 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0
As for Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs I did more testing with the older game Amnesia: Dark Descent I also game the same error. The error does not happen with 3.4.1. I noticed 3.0.8 also has the same problem as the new version. So I redownloaded the game to make sure. Still, have the same problem.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

pastebin.com/Tpp0VjjE - Not Working 4.0.1
I wonder what caused this error to pop up.

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #7 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0
Quick Update for ReShade 4.1.0

So a workaround, for now, to use ReShade 4.1.0 in the game Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.
Is to change the "opengl32.dll to dxgi.dll"

This will allow you to use ReShade 4.1.0 in this OpenGL game. I assume this will also work with the other games as well.

For some reason, it's not working when you try to load with the opengl32.dll on windows 10
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by BlueSkyKnight.

• crosire
More
5 years 2 months ago #8 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0
Yeah, this sounds a lot like some Windows 10 compatibility layer interfering again. Will try and reproduce in Win10 (since things work on Win7).

• tfpancakes
More
5 years 2 months ago #9 by tfpancakes Replied by tfpancakes on topic OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0
I can confirm this workaround works with CoD1 ( id-tech 3 ) but when used it creates artifacting - curious to know if other opengl titles show this.

• dorez`
More
5 years 2 months ago #10 by dorez` Replied by dorez` on topic OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0
I hoped that this version would work with my IL-2, but alas, as soon as you start setting up ReShade in a game, the screen is dark. It used to work very successfully with version 4.1.0, but after installing version 4.0.2, everything stopped working and now any version of the 4th series does not work. I can not understand the reason ???. Works only with version 3.4.1.
Thanks for the work!

• crosire
More
5 years 1 month ago #11 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0
Oh boy this was an interesting one to debug ...

TLDR: It's fixed now.

Full explanation: ReShade has had a linker optimization called COMDAT folding active for a long time now. What this does is attempt to merge functions which do the same thing into a single function to save space. Unfortunately the optimizer wrongly merges a few functions together, which rely on being separate. In this concrete case it merged the two DLL exports "wglDescribePixelFormat" and "DXGID3D10CreateDevice" into a single one. This is obviously wrong because the call two completly different functions internally, but at object level they look the same. But what this means is now every time "wglDescribePixelFormat" is called, it instead calls "DXGID3D10CreateDevice" which does something completly different. On Windows 10 the "wglChoosePixelFormat" function is internally implemented as a loop over "wglDescribePixelFormat". Since ReShade overwrote that function it didn't do what Windows expected and fails, which causes "wglChoosePixelFormat" to fail and produce all the different errors these games were reporting.
So there is nothing wrong in the ReShade source code. Which is also why it used to work before. The optimizer just so happened to merge these functions this time during build. I just got lucky that it never did so before.
This optimization is now disabled, which fixes the build and ReShade behaves as intended again: github.com/crosire/reshade/commit/c8f0d5...c08ad529ff2d3f460e73 .
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlueSkyKnight

• BlueSkyKnight
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 1 month ago #12 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0
Thank you.

Everything seems to work now as normal.

• romulus_ut3
More
4 years 7 months ago #13 by romulus_ut3 Replied by romulus_ut3 on topic OpenGL problems with ReShade 4.0
I still get crashing with the regular DOOM 3 (not DOOM 3 BFG) and Quake 4, the same crash BlueSkyDefender has demonstrated in his YouTube videos with the latest stable public release of Reshade (4.3.0)

Any workarounds for this?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.