Issues getting some shaders working

• VigilantOfStänder
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #1 by VigilantOfStänder Issues getting some shaders working was created by VigilantOfStänder
Hey there,

System: Ryzen 2700x, Sapphire Radeon Vega 56 Pulse, 16GB G.Skill RAM@3200 Mhz, copple of SSD's and a 27" BenQ monitor.

In case I might sound stupid, or not well informed, I already tried to figure on Google about my problem, but all I've found was an un-answered thread here on the forums. I did pretty much tried any other solution I came across, including the various FAQ's on this forums.

I use Reshade for Skyrim and Fallout4, and pretty much all of the old games I've bought over the years. My problem lies with Call of Duty 1, which I was, until recently, using COD_ReshadeFX , on my old Nvidia 980GTX. Reshade was working smoothly once I bypassed various issues during install. However, this is no longer the case for my new Radeon GPU. The reason I can nail it on the Vega 56 in combo with the D3D9.dll, is pretty much because it enitrely refuses to load the game(with the D3D9.dll).

I really tried everything from installing numerous DX-Runtime-Components, to fiddling around with install settings using the mediator. But the game will just refuse to work with D3D9.dll, and does not load any of the shaders, when using opengl32.dll, or dxgi.dll. I also tried combining the newest version of Reshade with some components of the org COD Reshade FX, but to no avail.

So I pretty much ended up completely removing any traces fo the very old and outdated version of Reshade, and trying to recreate the COD Reshade FX Mod, for Reshade 4.3. That's when I figured a copple of shaders simply refuse to work. Like when activating them, the screen simply turns black. Anyone can tell me why this is? Does a black screen indicate the shader will simply not work with Call of Duty, or any old game in that regard?
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by VigilantOfStänder. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brazzjazz
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #2 by brazzjazz Replied by brazzjazz on topic Issues getting some shaders working
Hi, according to the compatibility list reshade.me/compatibility , CoD 1 uses OpenGL, so choose that API upon installation of ReShade. I'm not sure why that guy with COD_ReShadeFX chose to produce his own installer pack, since normally you just import a preset into your own ReShade installation. I'm not sure whether his "mediator.exe" (whatever it does) fixes some incompatibility. Either way, I'd try to use CoD first with the latest ReShade, its opengl32.dll and the preset file (.ini) from COD_ReShadeFX (I can point you to it if you want).

As to the black screen, yes, older OpenGL games and ReShade (doesn't matter whether 3.x or 4.x) has regularly produced some bad glitches for me as well. I experienced it with the original retail version of Half-Life ("WON" version), for instance. I fixed it by disabling any effects (unchecking the checkboxes) BEFORE quitting the game, and only checking them (thus loading them) AFTER the game started. It seems as though ReShade's opengl32.dll prevented the game from properly loading its own shaders or something.

Let me know how it goes.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by brazzjazz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.