Reshade and Red Dead Redemption 2

• NickX51
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #1 by NickX51 Reshade and Red Dead Redemption 2 was created by NickX51
Hi!

I would really like to use reshade with RDR2 because of the idiotic washed out default image, but DX12 performance is horrendous. Vulkan runs the game smoothly, but the experimental support is not working at all (i get that it's experimental). I followed the instructions and installed reshade on the launcher instead of the game executable, but the .bat does not start the launcher unfortunately. Does anyone have any advice/fixes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cyrilp
More
4 years 5 months ago #2 by cyrilp Replied by cyrilp on topic Reshade and Red Dead Redemption 2
for vulkan/reshade you have to start the game from a .bat file but rdr2 needs to be launched from the launcher :-(

i have tried to replace rdr2.exe in the batch with the launcher: it almost works, when you run rdr2 from the launcher the game start with reshade but i'm getting a "video error for social club" and have to close the game :-(

I have tried to change the reshade key from "home" to something else as the "home" button is the one used for social club but it didn't help :-(

• alphamachina
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #3 by alphamachina Replied by alphamachina on topic Reshade and Red Dead Redemption 2
Yeah, this just doesn't work because of the Epic Launcher debacle. Really wish I had purchased this from Rockstar instead. Epic pisses me off. But seriously, they're going to have to come up with a better way to get ReShade working with Vulkan, because this is pretty damn messy. So, I guess I won't be playing RDR2 with ReShade until either ReShade doesn't need these batch files or Rockstar gets their crap together and fixes this game. ReShade works beautifully on DX12 for this game, but no way can I play the game with a cursor moving around all over the screen.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by alphamachina.

• thespooky
More
4 years 5 months ago #4 by thespooky Replied by thespooky on topic Reshade and Red Dead Redemption 2
I can't get it to work with the R* version either, because it also requires the launcher to open. When I run the bat file, the game has a Rockstar Social Club error and won't run

• JBeckman
More
4 years 5 months ago #5 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Reshade and Red Dead Redemption 2
Looks like a pending commit for how Vulkan is loaded might take care of the compatibility issue once the next version rolls out, wonder if that's from the Rockstar client or something from the game but checking the ReShade Github and the changes since 4.4.2 and pending commits and that sounds like it's going to work when it's available. :)

github.com/crosire/reshade/pulls

A change to using the implicit layers for Vulkan via registry same as the overlays for e.g Steam are doing or the display driver and it's VLK additions.
Added 9 hours ago so the latest WIP over in the depth buffer topic from November 11th probably doesn't have it unless a newer version is up on the ReShade Discord or something like that though the commit might not be entirely done yet either until it's merged in and whatever version of ReShade ends up with this change included.

Few other changes to the VLK code too but doesn't seem to be anything critical since 4.4.2 though if the initialization method is altered maybe compatibility overall will improve.
github.com/crosire/reshade/commits/master

• Dazaster
More
4 years 4 months ago #6 by Dazaster Replied by Dazaster on topic Reshade and Red Dead Redemption 2
As above, no way to run Reshade under Vulkan.
I changed the api to dx12. Game ran fine for me, so loaded Reshade.
Banner appears, can open edit screen, effects are working.

However.

Trying to take a screenshot with Reshades own facility causes the game to freeze for a few seconds, then Reshade crashes, but the game still runs, but with no effects. Meh.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.