Can Reshade cause a stuttering in a game?

• Lev
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #1 by Lev Can Reshade cause a stuttering in a game? was created by Lev
Hi, I was trying Reshade on Agents of Mayhem, I use the same presets on all games (qUINT DELC_Sharpen and Lightroom for less saturation) but I realized that in this game Reshade activated causes a stuttering (not lag), if I turn off Reshade instead it goes smoothly. I have tried other options in Reshade too but all of them cause this problem. What could be the problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brazzjazz
More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #2 by brazzjazz Replied by brazzjazz on topic Can Reshade cause a stuttering in a game?
Usually that would be because ReShade needs too much GPU resources, which lowers the framerate, and if that number goes below VSync threshold it can be very noticeable even though you may not have lost a lot of frames percentage-wise. But it is the frametimes that you will notice, not an average framerate. I would suggest installing MSI Afterburner to display CPU and GPU load. Then see how much resources ReShade is using. For instance, if VSync is activated, you would see it in a jump in GPU load (given that you stay standing still). Also there is a tab within the ReShade GUI where you can see for every effect the "price" it has in terms of ms (milliseconds). Are sharpening and color manipulation the only shaders you use? Because those are rather light on resources usually. Bloom, ambient occlusion of all kinds and others are much worse. Also please always provide some basic information, such as GPU (graphics card), CPU (processor), API (Direct3D / DirectX version or OpenGL or Vulkan), preferrably also resolution used, RAM and operating system. So in short, ReShade can absolutely introduce stuttering, if you use more effects than your GPU can handle. There could also be bugs etc. but usually it's the former.
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by brazzjazz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.