[SOLVED] Witcher 3 crashes on startup.

• scarecrow22
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #1 by scarecrow22 Witcher 3 crashes on startup. was created by scarecrow22
Been using 18.4 with sweetfx since the game came out perfectly fine and dandy. Go to open the game today and the game wont even start. dxgi.log is below:

Warning: Spoiler!

Witcher crash file:

Warning: Spoiler!

I've tried reinstalling reshade and killing any overlay programs to no avail. It looks like any new dxgi.dll files I add are a different file size to the original (which is 975KB, new is 580KB) also the log file for that "original" dxgi.dll does not update (indicating that it is in fact the vanilla dll and not the reshade version).

Game works fine with the vanilla dxgi.dll btw.
Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 10 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Witcher 3 crashes on startup.
First of all: What does the vanilla dxgi.dll do in your game directory?

Anyway, try to install ReShade as d3d11.dll.

• scarecrow22
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #3 by scarecrow22 Replied by scarecrow22 on topic Witcher 3 crashes on startup.
Ok so the problem was I was trying to re-copy Reshade64.dll as dxgi.dll instead of d3d11.dll.

This needs to be more clearly explained in the ReadMe. I think it might actually be a typo?
Figure out which  API the game uses for rendering, or any of the following DLL
names the game loads and rename the DLL you just copied to that:
- Direct3D8 => d3d8.dll
- Direct3D9[Ex] => d3d9.dll
- Direct3D10.X => dxgi.dll
- Direct3D11.X => dxgi.dll<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<d3d11.dll????
- OpenGL => opengl32.dll (for 64bit too)

Still not sure what caused it to stop working in the first place but it now seems to work fine.

• crosire
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Witcher 3 crashes on startup.
No, that's no typo. You would normally use dxgi.dll. d3d11.dll only works in certain cases if the game didn't link the library statically.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DijiGo

• DijiGo
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #5 by DijiGo Replied by DijiGo on topic Witcher 3 crashes on startup.

crosire wrote: No, that's no typo. You would normally use dxgi.dll. d3d11.dll only works in certain cases if the game didn't like the library statically.

Hi Crosire,

Unfortunately, the game now has it's own d3d11.dll as well, so can't overwrite that either I would think.

Any other solution, or am I missing something?

thanks, love your work. =)

Edit - p.s. these new files came down with a mini update that was included with the last 2 DLC packages, and the game state can't be reverted, I tried.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by DijiGo.

• kanuuna
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #6 by kanuuna Replied by kanuuna on topic Witcher 3 crashes on startup.
Piling up on this issue doesn't really fix it, but I thought I'd drop that I also ran into this. I tried replacing and renaming things, but nothing I tried would work.

EDIT: Nevermind; something was messed up on my end. Verifying some files and replacing the d3d11.dll did the trick.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by kanuuna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DijiGo

• DijiGo
More
8 years 10 months ago #7 by DijiGo Replied by DijiGo on topic Witcher 3 crashes on startup.
Well thanks to both of you, replacing the d3d11.dll worked!

• SpinelessJelly
More
8 years 10 months ago #8 by SpinelessJelly Replied by SpinelessJelly on topic Witcher 3 crashes on startup.
I can confirm that today's update added a d3d11.dll in the game's folder, effectively preventing Reshade from loading.

Deleting this new .dll actually fixes Reshade and the game seems to run fine, so... I don't know.

On a side note: The Fallout 4 trailer is out!!! youtu.be/Lnn2rJpjar4

• crosire
More
8 years 10 months ago #9 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Witcher 3 crashes on startup.
Went ahead and installed the 6 DLCs and patch 1.04. There was no dxgi.dll or d3d11.dll added to my game ...
Could somebody compare those new DLLs in his game directory with the ones in the Windows system32 folder?

• Martigen
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #10 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Witcher 3 crashes on startup.

crosire wrote: Went ahead and installed the 6 DLCs and patch 1.04. There was no dxgi.dll or d3d11.dll added to my game ...
Could somebody compare those new DLLs in his game directory with the ones in the Windows system32 folder?

From left to right: system32/, syswow64/, witcher3

And the dlls: download

Edit: On the 'patch', the main complaint seems to come from GOG users. These files came down in a separate download from patch 1.04 and the 2 new DLCs today. I'm using GOG and received these.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Martigen.

• crosire
More
8 years 10 months ago #11 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Witcher 3 crashes on startup.
I have the GOG version too. But: Analyzed those and it looks like they are part of the GOG Galaxy Overlay (which would explain why I don't get those, because I'm not using it, installed the patches manually).

• Martigen
More
8 years 10 months ago #12 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Witcher 3 crashes on startup.

crosire wrote: I have the GOG version too. But: Analyzed those and it looks like they are part of the GOG Galaxy Overlay (which would explain why I don't get those, because I'm not using it, installed the patches manually).

Ah that makes sense, forgot Galaxy's dlls were in there too. So, enlighten the less programmatically inclined (aka, me!) -- If these are just more functions for Galaxy, why call them a directx dll name? I'm guessing this might be a step towards their own in-game overlay. But then next question, how does the game know to ignore these and load the proper directx dlls?

• crosire
More
8 years 10 months ago #13 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Witcher 3 crashes on startup.
While Steam injects its overlay DLL into the game process manually once started, GOG Galaxy makes the game load the overlay through those proxy DLLs, same way ReShade is loaded. They proxy DLLs itself then load the real Direct3D DLLs and forward all calls to them. I don't use GOG Galaxy as mentioned, so can't say what their overlay looks like, how it works or why they use two DLLs instead of just one, but the basic concept is the same.

• SunBroDave
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #14 by SunBroDave Replied by SunBroDave on topic [SOLVED] Witcher 3 crashes on startup.
Witcher 3 crashing on launch with 0.18.6, and I'm not using MSI Afterburner, RTSS or other overlays.

EDIT: After trying with 18.6, now its crashing with 18.4. And without 18.4. Wut.

EDIT 2: Did an update to TW3 add a dxgi.dll to the directory? Any changes to that crashes the game on start, obviously. Yet the game also already has a d3d11.dll. Crosire, what were you using to hook into the game?

I suppose this post should now be moved to the Troubleshooting section since it appears to be a Witcher-side problem, not with this version of ReShade.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by SunBroDave.

• crosire
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #15 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic [SOLVED] Witcher 3 crashes on startup.

SunBroDave wrote: EDIT 2: Did an update to TW3 add a dxgi.dll to the directory? Any changes to that crashes the game on start, obviously. Yet the game also already has a d3d11.dll. Crosire, what were you using to hook into the game?

Option A: Don't use GOG Galaxy. =P (That's where the d3d11.dll and dxgi.dll in the WItcher 3 directory come from)
Option B: Install ReShade as d3d9.dll.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunBroDave, Geralt007

• MonarchX
More
8 years 10 months ago #16 by MonarchX Replied by MonarchX on topic [SOLVED] Witcher 3 crashes on startup.
Would using ReShade64.dll as D3D9.dll still have the same effect as using DXGI.dll or D3D11.dll???

• SunBroDave
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #17 by SunBroDave Replied by SunBroDave on topic [SOLVED] Witcher 3 crashes on startup.
Yeah renaming it to d3d9.dll works perfectly fine
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by SunBroDave.

• crosire
More
8 years 10 months ago #18 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic [SOLVED] Witcher 3 crashes on startup.
The game loads d3d9.dll (even though it renders with Direct3D 11) and that's all that matters for ReShade to work =).

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.