High Pass Sharpening / Contrast Enhancement

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #21 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

BrandonHortman wrote: I used High Pass Sharpening in my Dragon Age Inquisition Preset here
www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/438/ ?

I credited to you :cheer:

Great work

Nice man! Looks good! It's cool seeing all the different ways you guys are using this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Quentin-Tarantino
More
8 years 11 months ago #22 by Quentin-Tarantino Replied by Quentin-Tarantino on topic High Pass Sharpening
Ioxa this is really good thanks ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ioxa

• Scorpio82CO
More
8 years 11 months ago #23 by Scorpio82CO Replied by Scorpio82CO on topic High Pass Sharpening
Hi loxa.. I have to said that is the shader in conjuntion with the last reshade+framework..it says that something about can handle the 32 passes..i didn’t read very well, but this shader and AO shader i can't make it work in the ogl game.really i don't know if an another reshade version can work..thanks for listen..sorry for my ugly english

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #24 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

Scorpio82CO wrote: Hi loxa.. I have to said that is the shader in conjuntion with the last reshade+framework..it says that something about can handle the 32 passes..i didn’t read very well, but this shader and AO shader i can't make it work in the ogl game.really i don't know if an another reshade version can work..thanks for listen..sorry for my ugly english

32 samplers, I've seen this mentioned before. It could be some issue with opengl, the other time I saw it mentioned it was with an opengl game, or it could just be the 2 samplers used in this shader put you over the edge. Try using the AO shader and the sharpening shader separately, if they both work on their own then your only option is to start disabling effects until you are under the 32 sampler limit.

• BeTa
More
8 years 11 months ago #25 by BeTa Replied by BeTa on topic High Pass Sharpening
hy,

is there a way to add this to sweetfx 2?
im using reshade/sweetfx2 from here:
sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3434/
(v2.0 Preview 8 by CeeJay.dk | ReShade 0.16.0)

with your tutorial i didnt get far, sadly. since this is a diff config im using, but would it be possible to get it to work and use it with my version instead of sweetFX´s sharpening???

thx

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #26 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

BeTa wrote: hy,

is there a way to add this to sweetfx 2?
im using reshade/sweetfx2 from here:
sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3434/
(v2.0 Preview 8 by CeeJay.dk | ReShade 0.16.0)

with your tutorial i didnt get far, sadly. since this is a diff config im using, but would it be possible to get it to work and use it with my version instead of sweetFX´s sharpening???

thx

I probably should have mentioned that this only works with ReShade + Framework, sorry about that.
I'm probably going to update this today, I'll see if I can get a version for ReShade + SweetFX working and I'll post it along with the update.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeTa

• BeTa
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #27 by BeTa Replied by BeTa on topic High Pass Sharpening
Thank you very much for the response..
the thing i asked is, i wanted to maintain the sweetfx settings also, just adding teh HP sharpening from you...

Anyway, thanks for looking into it, ill whait :)

greetings and a nice evening to you...
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by BeTa.

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #28 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening
Updated the OP with a new version. Also added a non-framework version that can be used with ReShade + SweetFX. I'll post them here too.

Download for ReShade + Framework Version

Download for ReShade + SweetFX Version

Changed in newest version.
-Added separate settings for contrast enhancement.
-Contrast enhancement and sharpening can be used together.
-Adjusted some of the blend modes to work better with contrast enhancement and added a couple others.
-Scaled down the textures used for contrast enhancement, this gave a huge performance boost when using quality settings above 0.
-Added some performance and misc settings to turn on/off texture scaling and change some other things.
-Removed the edge protection, its not working the way I would like it to.
-Probably some others that I'm forgetting right now.

Some pictures showing the difference between using the effects individually and together. The settings I used were pretty mild, if I get a chance I'll take some new ones with stronger settings so it's easier to spot the changes. The best way to view these would be to open them in individual tabs so you quickly switch between them.
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Ioxa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeTa, Ganossa

• conan2k
More
8 years 11 months ago #29 by conan2k Replied by conan2k on topic High Pass Sharpening

Ioxa wrote: -Added separate settings for contrast enhancement.

Could you please elaborate on this a little bit more? Is this "local contrast enhancement" effect?

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #30 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

conan2k wrote:

Ioxa wrote: -Added separate settings for contrast enhancement.

Could you please elaborate on this a little bit more? Is this "local contrast enhancement" effect?

Yeah, it's basically local contrast enhancement. Or you could think of it as macro sharpening. By blurring the image with a larger radius the small details start to disappear and the larger ones start to stand out. Here are a couple articles I pulled up real quick that kind of explain it.
dptnt.com/2007/11/contrast-enhancement-in-nikon-capture-nx/ scroll down to method 3.
strobist.blogspot.com/2010/02/after-ligh...post-production.html

• Ganossa
More
8 years 11 months ago #31 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic High Pass Sharpening
Hey Loxa :) Do you want me to add it to the framework again for the upcoming release? :side:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrandonHortman

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #32 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

LuciferHawk wrote: Hey Loxa :) Do you want me to add it to the framework again for the upcoming release? :side:

I'm still kind of working on it, although I don't expect it to change too much from where it is now. Would it be possible to keep the settings.cfg separate from the rest of the custom settings for now? I just don't want to force people to overwrite any existing settings if I happen to change the settings for this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ganossa

• Ganossa
More
8 years 11 months ago #33 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic High Pass Sharpening
Well, there is no need to hurry :) just let me know when you are ready :lol:

• v00d00m4n
More
8 years 11 months ago #34 by v00d00m4n Replied by v00d00m4n on topic High Pass Sharpening

Ioxa wrote: While looking for ways to reduce the "halo" or "ringing" caused by unsharp masking I came across some information on a different method of sharpening called high pass sharpening. After a couple visits to Wikipedia I had a method for creating a high-pass filter and some equations for different blend modes, put it all together and this is the result. It is still very much a work in progress but in the limited testing I've done it seems to be working. I know very little about coding, so if you spot any mistakes or have any recommendations to help me improve this please let me know.

Updated 05/01
Download for ReShade + Framework Version

Install Instructions for ReShade + Framework

1. Copy the ReShade folder to the same folder that ReShade was installed to and merge it with the existing folder.
2. Open ReShade.fx and add the line "#include EFFECT(CustomFX, Sharp)" in the Effect Ordering section. (Placing it at the very bottom of the file will cause crashes)
3. Find HighPassSharp_Settings.cfg in the ReShade folder and open it to adjust the settings.

Download for ReShade + SweetFX Version

Install Instructions for ReShade + SweetFX

1. Copy ReShade.fx and the SweetFX folder to the same folder that ReShade was installed to.
Overwrite the existing ReShade.fx and merge the SweetFX folder with the existing SweetFX folder.

2. Open the SweetFX folder and find HighPass_settings.h.
Open the file and scroll down to the line that says "#define Compatibility".
Set it to 1 to use in combination with SweetFX or 2 to use in combination with MasterEffect.
*If using with MasterEffect rename MasterEffects ReShade.fx file to ReShadeME.fx.

Changed in newest version.
-Added separate settings for contrast enhancement.
-Adjusted some of the blend modes to work better with contrast enhancement and added a couple others.
-Scaled down the textures used for contrast enhancement, this gave a huge performance boost when using quality settings above 0.
-Added some performance and misc settings to turn on/off texture scaling and change some other things.
-Removed the edge protection, its not working the way I would like it to.

Some pictures showing how high pass sharpening works and the difference between a few of the blend modes. Keep in mind these pictures were taken while using very high settings to make the differences easily noticeable.

whats the point of this shader if final image looks way more blury than original? It supposed to make it sharper, isn't it?

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #35 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

v00d00m4n wrote:

whats the point of this shader if final image looks way more blury than original? It supposed to make it sharper, isn't it?

You caught me! I was trying pull a fast one, almost got away with it!

Just kidding. Above the picture it says "Softening using an inverted High Pass filter" (at least I think it's above it, maybe I formatted it wrong). The high pass filter sharpens, if you invert it it does the opposite. It was an option that was easy to add so I added it. That picture is just to show what it looks like.

• Martigen
More
8 years 11 months ago #36 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic High Pass Sharpening

Ioxa wrote: Some pictures showing the difference between using the effects individually and together. The settings I used were pretty mild, if I get a chance I'll take some new ones with stronger settings so it's easier to spot the changes. The best way to view these would be to open them in individual tabs so you quickly switch between them.

This looks really good. I like the effect combined. Sharpening is always better is subtle and not over the top. Have to try this out :)

What settings did you use for those screenshots, or are they the defaults in the package?

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #37 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

Martigen wrote: This looks really good. I like the effect combined. Sharpening is always better is subtle and not over the top. Have to try this out :)

What settings did you use for those screenshots, or are they the defaults in the package?

I agree, subtlety is key when it comes to sharpening. I just wanted to use some higher settings for the screen shots so it was easy to see the difference between the two.
I'm pretty sure those were taken with the same settings I uploaded it with. If anything I may have changed the blend mode for the contrast enhancement, I either used 2 or 7.

• BeTa
More
8 years 11 months ago #38 by BeTa Replied by BeTa on topic High Pass Sharpening
wow, Ioxa your teh man, man....

didnt expect such an fast solution :)
awesome work mate.. gonna test it later on with gta5.

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #39 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

BeTa wrote: wow, Ioxa your teh man, man....

didnt expect such an fast solution :)
awesome work mate.. gonna test it later on with gta5.

I already had the framework there from my port of Boulotaur2024's gaussian shader, I just had to copy everything over and change a couple lines. I didn't test it nearly as much as I should have though so let me know if you run into any problems.

• F D B
More
8 years 11 months ago #40 by F D B Replied by F D B on topic High Pass Sharpening
Any chance of using this in MasterEffects?

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.