High Pass Sharpening / Contrast Enhancement

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #41 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

F D B wrote: Any chance of using this in MasterEffects?

Yeah, use this one. Rename the MasterEffect ReShade.fx file to ReShadeME.fx before copying this stuff over.

Download for ReShade + SweetFX Version

Install Instructions for ReShade + SweetFX

1. Copy ReShade.fx and the SweetFX folder to the same folder that ReShade was installed to.
Overwrite the existing ReShade.fx and merge the SweetFX folder with the existing SweetFX folder.

2. Open the SweetFX folder and find HighPass_settings.h.
Open the file and scroll down to the line that says "#define Compatibility".
Set it to 1 to use in combination with SweetFX or 2 to use in combination with MasterEffect.
*If using with MasterEffect rename MasterEffects ReShade.fx file to ReShadeME.fx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BrandonHortman
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #42 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic High Pass Sharpening
I love this, but is it costing anyone else about 10fps?

I have crossfired watercooled 290X's and an 8370 at 4.8 ghz.

:cheers:

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #43 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

BrandonHortman wrote: I love this, but is it costing anyone else about 10fps?

I have crossfired watercooled 290X's and an 8370 at 4.8 ghz.

:cheers:

It's the blur passes. I started working on the performance in the last update but mainly for the contrast enhancement. I think the next step is gonna be to remove the quality option from sharpening, you shouldn't need anything beyond 0 for it anyway. Eventually I want to replace the blur passes with something more efficient but that may take awhile.

• v00d00m4n
More
9 years 1 week ago #44 by v00d00m4n Replied by v00d00m4n on topic High Pass Sharpening

Ioxa wrote:

v00d00m4n wrote:

Warning: Spoiler!

whats the point of this shader if final image looks way more blury than original? It supposed to make it sharper, isn't it?

You caught me! I was trying pull a fast one, almost got away with it!

Just kidding. Above the picture it says "Softening using an inverted High Pass filter" (at least I think it's above it, maybe I formatted it wrong). The high pass filter sharpens, if you invert it it does the opposite. It was an option that was easy to add so I added it. That picture is just to show what it looks like.

Well, source might include sharpening, but result is opposite and name is misleading, anyone reading sharpening expects to get sharper results, and high pass tells nothing to most of people, maybe you need to rename it to more informing one like Inveted sharpening (bluring). And I still don't get the point of this shader, how does such bluring improves anything except for unfiltered pixel art games ?

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #45 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

v00d00m4n wrote:

Well, source might include sharpening, but result is opposite and name is misleading, anyone reading sharpening expects to get sharper results, and high pass tells nothing to most of people, maybe you need to rename it to more informing one like Inveted sharpening (bluring). And I still don't get the point of this shader, how does such bluring improves anything except for unfiltered pixel art games ?

I don't know why you are so fixated on the 1 picture showing the softening OPTION when there are 4 others right above it that show the sharpening. The name of the shader is accurate, maybe you should try it before telling me I should rename it. What would someone use the softening for? I don't know, maybe pixel art, I haven't tried it. Give it a shot and see how it looks. But don't forget to change the settings so it softens instead of sharpens!
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Ioxa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire, Constantine PC, BrandonHortman, jas01

• jas01
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #46 by jas01 Replied by jas01 on topic High Pass Sharpening
Hello Loxa
/Edit: Hello Ioxa. ;)

I really like this shader. :) I have small question for you - Can I use this in my graphical modification ? I mean: Is it okay for you, if I'll upload your shader on nexus? (together with my modification)

Sorry if my grammar is poor.

Best wishes,
jas01
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by jas01.

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago #47 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

jas01 wrote: Hello Loxa

I really like this shader. :) I have small question for you - Can I use this in my graphical modification ? I mean: Is it okay for you, if I'll upload your shader on nexus? (together with my modification)

Sorry if my grammar is poor.

Best wishes,
jas01

Sure man, go for it! And it's ioxa, I know that I looks like an L, damn fonts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01

• jas01
More
9 years 1 week ago #48 by jas01 Replied by jas01 on topic High Pass Sharpening
Thank you very much! (and sorry - I'm soo tired... :) )

I've already written (In description) that you are The Creator of this effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ioxa

• Martigen
More
9 years 1 week ago #49 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic High Pass Sharpening
Hey Ioxa, this is fantastic :) Spent a couple hours playing with it, and mixing Contrast with Lumarsharpen for a slightly different effect.

Anyway, I noticed on the contrast mask that setting the high quality setting as expected provided a more accurate contrast mask, and then I noticed that the default scaled down mode was inverting bright areas... kinda like a photo negative, and looking completely different to the unscaled mask. Looking at the code I changed the following:
	#define ceSCALEw BUFFER_WIDTH/4
	#define ceSCALEh BUFFER_HEIGHT/4
	#define cePX_SIZE float2(1.0f/ceSCALEw, 1.0f/ceSCALEh)
to
	#define cePX_SIZE (float2(1.0f/ceSCALEw, 1.0f/ceSCALEh)*4)
And now the scaled mask is as accurate as the unscaled. Same visuals, more performance! But, I also don't know what they heck I'm doing, so let me know if this is intended or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ioxa

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago #50 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

Martigen wrote: Hey Ioxa, this is fantastic :) Spent a couple hours playing with it, and mixing Contrast with Lumarsharpen for a slightly different effect.

Anyway, I noticed on the contrast mask that setting the high quality setting as expected provided a more accurate contrast mask, and then I noticed that the default scaled down mode was inverting bright areas... kinda like a photo negative, and looking completely different to the unscaled mask. Looking at the code I changed the following:

#define cePX_SIZE float2(1.0f/ceSCALEw, 1.0f/ceSCALEh)
to
	#define cePX_SIZE (float2(1.0f/ceSCALEw, 1.0f/ceSCALEh)*4)
And now the scaled mask is as accurate as the unscaled. Same visuals, more performance! But, I also don't know what they heck I'm doing, so let me know if this is intended or not.

I don't know what I'm doing either, I'm pretty much monkey see monkey do when it comes to this stuff. I think by multiplying the pixel size by 4 it puts it back at the pixel size of the original texture instead of the scaled down texture, which makes sense why it look better because the way I had it was throwing off all the other settings. I'll fix this the next time I update it, Thanks!

• Ganossa
More
8 years 11 months ago #51 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic High Pass Sharpening
Hey loxa, is there a good way to contact your. I would like to get some information so I can start working on the framework configurator :side:

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #52 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

LuciferHawk wrote: Hey loxa, is there a good way to contact your. I would like to get some information so I can start working on the framework configurator :side:

Yeah, add me on steam, ioxa53.

• Ganossa
More
8 years 11 months ago #53 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic High Pass Sharpening

Ioxa wrote:

LuciferHawk wrote: Hey loxa, is there a good way to contact your. I would like to get some information so I can start working on the framework configurator :side:

Yeah, add me on steam, ioxa53.

I honestly tried [ioxa (tried all profiles), ioxa53, ioxa35, loxa53, loxa35] but to no avail :silly:
Anyway, "최정장군 - General Choi Jeong" is mine unless you know why I could not find you .oO

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #54 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening
My bad! It's just Ioxa. Ioxa53 is my origin id. Sent you an add request.

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #55 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening
I made a small update to this, mainly to fix the problem Martigen pointed out.

I also added options for midtone sharpening and midtone contrast enhancement. By limiting the sharpening and contrast enhancement to the midtones you can get away with stronger settings without looking over sharpened. It also helps reduce noise that might show up in brighter areas.

Download

And I've been working on something to reduce color banding. Some pics to show where I'm at with it right now, it's not perfect but its an improvement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeTa, BillyAlt, BrandonHortman, Aelius Maximus, Apocalypso

• Martigen
More
8 years 11 months ago #56 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic High Pass Sharpening
Thanks for this!

Will you also upload a version just for SweetFX (like on page 1)?

Mart

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #57 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

Martigen wrote: Thanks for this!

Will you also upload a version just for SweetFX (like on page 1)?

Mart

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I'll try to get to it tonight. I'll edit this post when I update it.
EDIT: Updated the version for SweetFX and Master Effect.
Download High Pass Sharpening / Contrast Enhancement For SWFX and ME
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Ioxa.

• Marty McFly
More
8 years 11 months ago #58 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic High Pass Sharpening
I would like to implement this in MasterEffect, can I get your clearance for that?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cloudbill

• Ioxa
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #59 by Ioxa Replied by Ioxa on topic High Pass Sharpening

Marty McFly wrote: I would like to implement this in MasterEffect, can I get your clearance for that?

Yeah, go ahead!
I'm actually putting what I think will be the finishing touches on this right now, there are just a couple things I want to experiment with first, but otherwise I think I'm done. I'll probably get it uploaded sometime in the next 24hrs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marty McFly, jas01

• throumbas
More
8 years 11 months ago #60 by throumbas Replied by throumbas on topic High Pass Sharpening
I love this, i use it to sharpen Witcher3 while im playing it at a lower res than my native and this does some work!

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.