Reshade License and Add-on's

• MajorPainTheCactus
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #1 by MajorPainTheCactus Reshade License and Add-on's was created by MajorPainTheCactus
Hi @Crosire I'm writing a much larger Reshade add-on (you've done an amazing job on add-on support by the way).

One thing I don't really need in my add-on is the main Reshade window/menu apart from setting it up in the first place.

Possibly I'll have an ImGui button to it some where but for the time being it diverts from the add-on's interface which has a different purpose to Reshade's main purpose i.e all the FX stuff.

So without the Reshade main menu the only thing signifying that this is an add-on for ReShade is the grey dialog that pops up the top on startup. Is that ok with you - I'd like to make sure the add-on promotes Reshade a bit more like a splash screen (it'd be ace if you could provide a logo/splash screen 'made with Reshade technology' 😉) or something but it says in your licence that's not allowed. At least without written consent but surely you want add-on authors to promote Reshade? It seems like a barrier to this? Am I misunderstanding what you want with this license?

Many thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
1 year 9 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Reshade License and Add-on's
I had chosen the BSD 3-clause license a very long time ago with the intention of protecting my name in case somebody uses the ReShade codebase to build nefarious software (due to hooking code, ImGui integration etc.). To that end I understand the third clause in the license as protecting the names of myself and contributors, but not really covering the name of the project ("ReShade"), though some do interpret it as doing the latter too. I just don't want my name on something I have no connection with.

But I have no problem with the project name "ReShade" being used to promote derivate work/add-ons in this case. I would infact very much encourage it.
Don't really have a logo/banner for this purpose though. The icon used for the setup tool is already a bit questionable, but is the only thing I have (other attempts at coming up with an alternative didn't really come to fruition).

• MajorPainTheCactus
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #3 by MajorPainTheCactus Replied by MajorPainTheCactus on topic Reshade License and Add-on's
Understood, well I'll post up my add-on here (probably in a month or so) and then work with you as to what we can do with respect to all this. Thanks again for an amazing framework.

• crosire
More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Reshade License and Add-on's
Happy to hear it proves useful!
Btw. if you have Discord I'd suggest to post your work in the addon-releases channel on the ReShade Discord server in addition to the forum here, since it might reach a wider audience (less users probably dwell these forums).
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by crosire.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.