Tips for toning down bloom/harsh bright colours?

• SirArthurStreebGreebling
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #1 by SirArthurStreebGreebling Tips for toning down bloom/harsh bright colours? was created by SirArthurStreebGreebling
Hey everyone.

I'm currently trying to make a preset for supreme commander but the ingame bloom is really strong so its limiting what i can do. Any changes i make just seem to make it worse...while making everything else better. So I was wondering are there parameters to use just for this? Basically i want to be able to reduce just bright colours without altering the rest of the spectrum at all. I'm completely new to this side of things so I'm not sure if what I'm asking is silly or has an obvious answer.

I have a feeling its liftgammagain but anytime I've touched it I've made a mess since I don't understand it.

Maybe there should be an extended explanation of what exactly everything does in a seperate file in newer versions of Reshade sometime. Something like a pdf with useful techniques with images would be nice. I did kind of enjoy the trial and error of it all in the beginning but now that i want to do particular things I'm kind of stuck so something to explain some of the less obvious things would be useful.

Thanks.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by SirArthurStreebGreebling.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brussell
More
8 years 7 months ago #2 by brussell Replied by brussell on topic Tips for toning down bloom/harsh bright colours?
You can't really eliminate the bloom, but you can try to damp the highlights a little bit (while the image becomes more flat). Appropiate effects could be tonemap, filmic pass, reinhard, tuningpalette, lut.

Here is an example with Reinhard:
#define ReinhardLinearSlope 1.1 
#define ReinhardLinearWhitepoint 1.5  	#raising this value above 1damps the highlights
#define ReinhardLinearPoint 0.35

But maybe the better option is to tweak the bloom ingame. I've found some console commands:

ren_Bloom Render
ren_BloomBlurCount
ren_BloomBlurKernelScale
ren_BloomGlowCopyScale

If these work, you could disable the bloom ingame and add some subtle one via reshade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SirArthurStreebGreebling

• SirArthurStreebGreebling
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #3 by SirArthurStreebGreebling Replied by SirArthurStreebGreebling on topic Tips for toning down bloom/harsh bright colours?
Thanks ill give both those methods a go.

• RAmbO
More
8 years 7 months ago #4 by RAmbO Replied by RAmbO on topic Tips for toning down bloom/harsh bright colours?
Lift Gamma Gain Highlights. Best way IMO. Alternative is Exposure in Tonemap but that affects the midtones as well.

• vladstad
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #5 by vladstad Replied by vladstad on topic Tips for toning down bloom/harsh bright colours?

brussell wrote: You can't really eliminate the bloom, but you can try to damp the highlights a little bit (while the image becomes more flat). Appropiate effects could be tonemap, filmic pass, reinhard, tuningpalette, lut.

Here is an example with Reinhard:

#define ReinhardLinearSlope 1.1 
#define ReinhardLinearWhitepoint 1.5  	#raising this value above 1damps the highlights
#define ReinhardLinearPoint 0.35

But maybe the better option is to tweak the bloom ingame. I've found some console commands:

ren_Bloom Render
ren_BloomBlurCount
ren_BloomBlurKernelScale
ren_BloomGlowCopyScale

If these work, you could disable the bloom ingame and add some subtle one via reshade.

thank you, this has made a big difference in kingdoms of amular
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by vladstad.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.