Distribution Regulations Discussion

• crosire
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #1 by crosire Screenshot Thread was created by crosire

Elimina wrote: Download:
www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/176/ ?

Hate to be that guy, but: reshade.me/forum/general-discussion/771-...ribution-regulations . You even deleted the EULA which unfortunately breaks the right to use ReShade, quote:

Reproduction and Distribution. You may reproduce and distribute an unlimited number of copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT; provided that each copy shall be a true and complete copy, including all copyright and trademark notices, and shall be accompanied by a copy of this EULA.

If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, do not install or use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Elimina

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Elimina
More
8 years 5 months ago #2 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Screenshot Thread

crosire wrote:

Elimina wrote: Download:
www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/176/ ?

Hate to be that guy, but: reshade.me/forum/general-discussion/771-...ribution-regulations . You even deleted the EULA which unfortunately breaks the right to use ReShade, quote:

Reproduction and Distribution. You may reproduce and distribute an unlimited number of copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT; provided that each copy shall be a true and complete copy, including all copyright and trademark notices, and shall be accompanied by a copy of this EULA.

If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, do not install or use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

oops. I will include it right way. sorry, :(

• Elimina
More
8 years 5 months ago #3 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Screenshot Thread
should be fixed. I haven't uploaded any Reshade presets on any other sites before, so I'll make sure I do that if i ever upload another preset :D thanks for reminding me

• crosire
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Screenshot Thread

Elimina wrote: should be fixed. I haven't uploaded any Reshade presets on any other sites before, so I'll make sure I do that if i ever upload another preset :D thanks for reminding me

They still do contain the ReShade Framework shader files, which should not be the case according to the distribution regulations of the ReShade Framework I linked to. The shaders inside are not mine, so it is only fair to follow the request of their authors to not publish them anywhere else than on reshade.me: I'm sorry for the inconvenience because of this, I didn't make those rules, but rules are rules nevertheless. Personally I'm fine with the distribution of ReShade elsewhere.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by crosire.

• GERgta
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #5 by GERgta Replied by GERgta on topic Screenshot Thread

crosire wrote: I'm sorry for the inconvenience because of this, I didn't make those rules, but rules are rules nevertheless.

Giving the user ready-to-go reshade-profiles is kind of a huge inconvenience because of this right now.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by GERgta.

• Elimina
More
8 years 5 months ago #6 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Screenshot Thread

crosire wrote: They still do contain the ReShade Framework shader files, which should not be the case according to the distribution regulations of the ReShade Framework I linked to. The shaders inside are not mine, so it is only fair to follow the request of their authors to not publish them anywhere else than on reshade.me

So, I'm a little confused by your post. I took a look at other reshade presets for Fallout 4 and they seem to have the same folders as I. Are you saying that the shader files, which are included with the mediator of reshade, and gives the framework the ability to use the effects, are not to be included in the file? Isn't that the only way for reshade to work for personal distribution?

Am I misunderstanding your quote or is there something else that I have missed that shouldn't be inside of my personal distribution? I have read the EULA and the distribution regulations of the ReShade Framework that you linked me to, and it says that:
"Your personal distribution may only include
**A - your modified configuration files (.cfg in the \ReShade folder)"

and on the EULA it says:
"Reproduction and Distribution. You may reproduce and distribute an
unlimited number of copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT; provided that each copy
shall be a true and complete copy, including all copyright and trademark
notices, and shall be accompanied by a copy of this EULA.

The SOFTWARE PRODUCT may be included in any free or non-profit packages or
products as long as visible credits are given to the mentioned author(s) of
SOFTWARE PRODUCT."

and I have included the EULA and other license agreements with credits to you and the people that have made effects that I have enabled inside of the file. Do I have to include the people that have made shaders that I have not used? If I do not include these files, aren't I violating the terms by including a non-completed version of Reshade?

I feel like I am missing an obvious key part of this, but I am probably just misunderstanding you (I am keeping my file on private until I know that this is fixed)

To stay on topic:
Fallout 4:

• crosire
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Screenshot Thread
I took the liberty to move this in a separate thread so to not clutter the screenshot thread that much (I hope you don't mind).

The EULA only counts for ReShade itself, which is the ReShade32.dll and ReShade64.dll, nothing more. Those I am the author of and I grant everybody to distribute them as they wish, as long as credits are given.

However, the ReShade Framework needs separate handling because I'm not the author of any of the shader files it comes with. Those were written by CeeJay, Marty McFly, LuciferHawk, Ioxa, JPulowski and others. At least two of them asked to not reupload their work anywhere else. What this means is that one should only upload the .cfg files (the actual preset) to external sites and ask users to head over here to download the rest of the ReShade Framework. Similar to how it's handled for ENB presets, where you have to link to the ENB site for download too.

As said before I'm personally ok with the distribution of the ReShade binaries, but since the shaders are not mine, I have no right to allow that for them too, that's up to their authors.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ganossa, Elimina

• Ganossa
More
8 years 5 months ago #8 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Screenshot Thread
Just for clarification though there is already explanation given in the original post.

There are plenty of reasons and advantages to keep the core @ReShade.me or since a few days also GIT hub.
The most important one is transparency for the end user. Its in their best interest to get all information and possible files first hand.

Presets do not need to contain 22MB of redundant data from which most only needs to be downloaded once by each user. Redundancy further can cause inconsistencies among presets which the user ultimately has to resolve.

An automatic link back to the ReShade.me website for download has plenty more advantages:
There will be no more problem with credits or false information cause the user is getting the core from the source anyway.
Questions and troubleshooting can be done centralized to be answered by us developers (or helping users) but not necessarily second, or third hand.
The user will aways be aware of the latest releases and changes and can on top of that contribute to updates to the project with his own feedback, ideas and requests.
Many developers trust us to handle their/our code. It is essential to this project and to attract new developers that their work is handled with care and respect.

The ReShade.me website has no advertisements (which no developer would benefit from anyway) and does not require you to register to download the ReShade core, so please do not impute base motives to any of us.

Those regulations have not beend made to tease any of you but to keep and improve the quality and sustainability of this project. Please comply to this little bit of necessity out of respect for everyone's work that has and will be done here. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elimina

• Elimina
More
8 years 5 months ago #9 by Elimina Replied by Elimina on topic Screenshot Thread
I was over thinking it last night xD I look dim now.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.