Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DirectX 12

DirectX 12 8 months 3 weeks ago #1

Hi. I'm anticipating the imminent release of ReShade 2.0! As I'm sure everyone is. Just out of curiosity as i can't find any direct information or discussion on here (at a glance anyway) about the implementation of DirectX 12 into the latest ReShade release? Any pointers or redirection of previous discussions welcome. Thankyou B)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 3 weeks ago #2

  • crosire
  • crosire's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2437
  • Thank you received: 1384
It's on hold. I don't like Windows 10 and am still running Windows 7, which makes debugging DirectX 12 impossible. A Vulkan renderer is much more likely.
Cheers, crosire =)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kinjx11

DirectX 12 8 months 2 weeks ago #3

  • Qsimil
  • Qsimil's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 15
  • Thank you received: 2
What you don't like on Windows 10? that's little sad that one person who doesn't like something ... then affects thousands of people at least...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 2 weeks ago #4

  • MrBeer
  • MrBeer's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 25
  • Thank you received: 3
you know this isn't there full time jobs and they do it because they like doing it . It also take a lot of there time. I run win10 and there are problem like running win10 with nvidia sli. Nvidia still has alot of bug to work out.Also direct x 12 is still another 2-3 years out before you see alot of game with it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allisbuggy1

DirectX 12 8 months 2 weeks ago #5

  • Qsimil
  • Qsimil's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 15
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm just curious what exactly crosire finds so bad about Windows 10 that he is staying with Windows 7, that's all i'm asking for now :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01

DirectX 12 8 months 2 weeks ago #6

  • jas01
  • jas01's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 79
  • Thank you received: 10
Windows 10 - spyware garbage that updates non-stop.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 5 days ago #7

  • Kuniyo
  • Kuniyo's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 29
  • Thank you received: 11
You can disable to "spying" and also the updates, so that's not really it probably.
More likely to be buggy windows UI / start menu, and it's not all the stable all the time.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 5 days ago #8

  • crosire
  • crosire's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2437
  • Thank you received: 1384
The system is inconsistent (settings app and old control panel, who needs apps on a desktop, etc.) and the UI design is something that would take a really long time to get used to. Windows 10 has zero advantages for me personally, so I won't update in the near future.
I set up a bootable virtual installation though, so can do some DirectX 12 testing at some point. But I don't have the time for it right now.
Cheers, crosire =)
Last Edit: 8 months 5 days ago by crosire.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick

DirectX 12 8 months 4 days ago #9

  • klotim
  • klotim's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 66
  • Thank you received: 21
crosire wrote:
The system is inconsistent (settings app and old control panel, who needs apps on a desktop, etc.) and the UI design is something that would take a really long time to get used to. Windows 10 has zero advantages for me personally, so I won't update in the near future.
I set up a bootable virtual installation though, so can do some DirectX 12 testing at some point. But I don't have the time for it right now.

classic shell removes most of what windows 10 is and converts it to windows 7 type of navigation and so on.
The same windows 7 menu and removes windows 10 menu. Also same type of explorer navigation as on windows 7.

Try classic shell on your vmw and see what you think? I jumped from 7 to 10 myself. Can't live without 10 now, same as windows 7 but better optimizations.
Last Edit: 8 months 4 days ago by klotim.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 4 days ago #10

  • crosire
  • crosire's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2437
  • Thank you received: 1384
Classic Shell doesn't solve the inconsistency, just adds a few UI features (which don't look all that great to be honest). I worked with Windows 10 for 2 months on my desktop and it only brought me headaches, until one day a Windows 10 update destroyed the installation and made the system unbootable. That's when I installed Windows 7 again and haven't had a problem since.
Cheers, crosire =)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 4 days ago #11

  • klotim
  • klotim's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 66
  • Thank you received: 21
crosire wrote:
Classic Shell doesn't solve the inconsistency, just adds a few UI features (which don't look all that great to be honest). I worked with Windows 10 for 2 months on my desktop and it only brought me headaches, until one day a Windows 10 update destroyed the installation and made the system unbootable. That's when I installed Windows 7 again and haven't had a problem since.

update? must been an issue with your system then.As of everyone would have the same issue.
But I get your point, it's the same when people who were comfortable with xp and was later forced to adapt to a newer os
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 4 days ago #12

  • JBeckman
  • JBeckman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 162
  • Thank you received: 36
A while back Microsoft did indeed release a faulty update for Windows 10 which broke the boot procedure if the bios had secure boot enabled, it was fixed a few days later but it did affect a lot of users. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 4 days ago #13

  • Kleio420
  • Kleio420's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 213
  • Thank you received: 28
klotim wrote:
crosire wrote:
Classic Shell doesn't solve the inconsistency, just adds a few UI features (which don't look all that great to be honest). I worked with Windows 10 for 2 months on my desktop and it only brought me headaches, until one day a Windows 10 update destroyed the installation and made the system unbootable. That's when I installed Windows 7 again and haven't had a problem since.

update? must been an issue with your system then.As of everyone would have the same issue.
But I get your point, it's the same when people who were comfortable with xp and was later forced to adapt to a newer os
microsoft enabled debugging through windows 10 if allowed by the user this is mainly how they test for bugs now to track them down (easier to duplicate an issue if the computer having it debugs for its self) so yes microsoft could put out a update tomorrow and kill 1million computers just like that by mistake and only fix would be a os install << theyre not the only ones with bad updates lately.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 1 day ago #14

  • MonarchX
  • MonarchX's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 210
  • Thank you received: 15
crosire wrote:
Classic Shell doesn't solve the inconsistency, just adds a few UI features (which don't look all that great to be honest). I worked with Windows 10 for 2 months on my desktop and it only brought me headaches, until one day a Windows 10 update destroyed the installation and made the system unbootable. That's when I installed Windows 7 again and haven't had a problem since.

I'm sorry about your problems with Windows 10... However, one way or another, Windows 10 will be THE OS considering it higher adoption rate than Windows 7 did because of how it is. Change is always hard and people hate change, but once you get used to Windows 10, its impossible to go back to any previous version of Windows.

GUI:
After a fresh Windows 10 install, it only takes about 20 minutes to make Windows 10 do 2 things - look and function like Windows 7. You do have to use either Start10 (best IMHO, costs some $5) or Classic Shell or similar program and you have to CUSTOMIZE settings within the program to get get Windows 10 Start to look the way you want it to. Here's my Desktop:


You also have to go through many Windows 10 settings and apply several safe .reg tweak files to have that basic raw feel of Windows 7, but it is very VERY possible and not hard. Once you customize it, change many Windows 10 settings, apply quite a few safe tweaks, you can make your Windows 10 mirror Windows 7 in every way with one exception. That exception is having a classic-looking Control Panel and being forced to have and to use the new overall/general Settings panel. You can't tell me that the panel alone is hard to get used to. IMHO, you don't want to be bothered researching, reading, asking questions, etc. to get the right GUI-adjusting apps, tweaks, and utilities for Windows 10 to make it work for you.

Then you should follow my Guide on how to Tweak Windows 10 ONE TIME and never ever ever again. Here's my Guide - www.overclock.net/t/1596203/simple-windo...once-and-never-again . The tweaks and settings you want to change are entirely up to you. Some people do not mind Cortana running and I do. Some people do not mind the 10 built-in Windows Store apps that come with Windows 10, but I remove them. I remove a LOT of crap Windows 10 comes with down to bare-bones raw look and raw optimized high-performance snappy functioning. However, its all safe, never caused a problem and everything works because everything essential I leave alone. If you'd like I can tweak your Windows 10 remotely! I do not mind. I think you will lose the result!

As far as an update killing your OS install. You know you'll forever hate me, but IMO such things happen due to user error. For example, sometimes people think that if Windows says "Updating" for 15 minutes without anything moving on the screen, then it means the OS froze - not true at all!
- Have you installed Windows 10 on top of Windows 7? That is a NO-NO! Always make a fresh clean install of the latest OS version onto freshly formatted drive/partition.
- Which tweaks have you used? There are plenty of BAD irreversible tweaks that tend to get packed into a single CMD or BAT or REG file and in the end they may screw your system. It did take me about 3 fresh Windows 10 re-installs before I figured out which tweaks caused issues and all of them were the download-able ones, none were simply Windows 10 settings, which never caused a problem. I gathered extremely useful and extremely SAFE tweaks that make life much simpler! PM me and I will share them with you!
- Sometimes random software can cause a severe BSOD like that. I HATE Anti-Virus software and never use it because it overtakes your system, slows it down, bloats, sticks itself everywhere, runs in the background and can often cause drastic issues when Windows updates come out due to some incompatibility. AV software is only necessary if you don't know what you're doing or visiting some sketchy Warez or XXX sites or other crap. Only use portable AV and Anti-Spyware programs, like AdwCleaner, Hitman Pro, Rogue Killer and Malware Bytes as the last resort. Another example - earlier version of Acronis True Image 2016 had a super-bug that occurred when I simply disabled Acronis Update service, which caused BSOD upon every boot without any solution other than format and re-install. The problem was not Windows, but Acronis True Image 2016!

Here are the 3 important things you should do in this exact order every so often when you feel something about Windows 10 isn't working right or OS is hanging/freezing, etc (NEVER happens to me unless I overclock too high):
1. Run Chkdsk -f for all drives and partition
2. Open CMD as Admin, paste this line and press enter - DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (this repairs and cleans OS database and active files)
3. Open CMD as Admin, paste this line and press enter - SFC /ScanNow
DISM RestoreHealth detects the absence of Cortana as an error and re-enables it, so you have to disable it again once you run that command. You should also re-use Disable Mouse Acceleration .reg tweak after you run those 3 things and every time after you get Windows updates.

Sounds like a lot of work? Maybe, but again, you can do it ONE TIME per your life-time and never have to re-do it all again if you follow the guide I posted here - www.overclock.net/t/1596203/simple-windo...once-and-never-again .
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 1 day ago #15

  • Marty McFly
  • Marty McFly's Avatar
  • Offline
  • We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!
  • Posts: 609
  • Thank you received: 716
"Look and function like Windows 7". Try running older software. Or try running ENBSeries. Or try doing anything you are not supposed to. Microsoft doesn't seem to think that people actually do productive work with their OS'es. Every one of my father's clients where Windows 10 is in use it produces problems. Not crash related or anything but stupid things they just screwed up a lot under the hood. For anything that normal users do it may be fine but for professionals, it's a nightmare. Also, how Microsoft forces W10 just makes me dislike it more. Try a clean installation of WIndows 7 now. Suddently, there are huge problems. Same happened when 7 came out, for Windows XP.
Last Edit: 8 months 1 day ago by Marty McFly.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 2 days ago #16

  • MonarchX
  • MonarchX's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 210
  • Thank you received: 15
Marty McFly wrote:
"Look and function like Windows 7". Try running older software. Or try running ENBSeries. Or try doing anything you are not supposed to. Microsoft doesn't seem to think that people actually do productive work with their OS'es. Every one of my father's clients where Windows 10 is in use it produces problems. Not crash related or anything but stupid things they just screwed up a lot under the hood. For anything that normal users do it may be fine but for professionals, it's a nightmare. Also, how Microsoft forces W10 just makes me dislike it more. Try a clean installation of WIndows 7 now. Suddently, there are huge problems. Same happened when 7 came out, for Windows XP.

Yeah, but like you said - it happens from generation to generation and its not any particular OS fault. Change is hard, but everything changes (except for people who merely adapt). ENBSeries works great on Windows 10, at least for me. I use it Skyrim, Fallout 4, Black Mesa, Deus Ex - HR (DC), STALKER, Vampire - Bloodlines, and I think some other game I own.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 2 days ago #17

  • Zomgerd
  • Zomgerd's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 17
  • Thank you received: 2
MonarchX wrote:
crosire wrote:
Classic Shell doesn't solve the inconsistency, just adds a few UI features (which don't look all that great to be honest). I worked with Windows 10 for 2 months on my desktop and it only brought me headaches, until one day a Windows 10 update destroyed the installation and made the system unbootable. That's when I installed Windows 7 again and haven't had a problem since.

I'm sorry about your problems with Windows 10... However, one way or another, Windows 10 will be THE OS considering it higher adoption rate than Windows 7 did because of how it is. Change is always hard and people hate change, but once you get used to Windows 10, its impossible to go back to any previous version of Windows.

Yeah, no. The only reason Win10 has the adoption rate it does is because it was a free upgrade and I do mean the only reason, DX12 is new and not being used by enough games to warrant anyone buying the OS and there certainly isn't a reason for win7 users to upgrade to Win10. Microsoft's arrogance about how many installs they have is mind-blowing, like no body would jump at the chance to try out the new OS for free and most consumers don't even realize that if they didn't like it they could revert back to their previous Windows within 30 days. Change is inevitable and we all know that but Microsoft is changing in an effort to become Apple and they are doing a terrible job of it, not that anyone asked or wanted them to do it.

There actually is a lot to dislike about Win10 if you're consumer who actually cares about privacy or control over your system, for instance for me; Forced updates which was and is never a good idea to begin with plus MS has been awful at updates in the past few years, no ability to choose what updates get installed (again because MS is awful at updates), zero ability to turn off telemetry (you know part of that whole spying thing) even if you set it to be off [MS has said this several times by the way], the UI [an improvement over win8/8.1 in literally one respect] is still dreadful, why must we have mobile interfaces on a desktop? It's dumb and it makes the whole system look and feel like a crappy knockoff and lastly, backwards compatibility is once again an issue for a new version of windows but that comes with the territory for Windows at this point, which is still sad to this day.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 2 days ago #18

  • Elimina
  • Elimina's Avatar
  • Offline
  • ΞLIMINΛ
  • Posts: 329
  • Thank you received: 356
Zomgerd wrote:
MonarchX wrote:
crosire wrote:
Classic Shell doesn't solve the inconsistency, just adds a few UI features (which don't look all that great to be honest). I worked with Windows 10 for 2 months on my desktop and it only brought me headaches, until one day a Windows 10 update destroyed the installation and made the system unbootable. That's when I installed Windows 7 again and haven't had a problem since.

I'm sorry about your problems with Windows 10... However, one way or another, Windows 10 will be THE OS considering it higher adoption rate than Windows 7 did because of how it is. Change is always hard and people hate change, but once you get used to Windows 10, its impossible to go back to any previous version of Windows.

Yeah, no. The only reason Win10 has the adoption rate it does is because it was a free upgrade and I do mean the only reason, DX12 is new and not being used by enough games to warrant anyone buying the OS and there certainly isn't a reason for win7 users to upgrade to Win10. Microsoft's arrogance about how many installs they have is mind-blowing, like no body would jump at the chance to try out the new OS for free and most consumers don't even realize that if they didn't like it they could revert back to their previous Windows within 30 days. Change is inevitable and we all know that but Microsoft is changing in an effort to become Apple and they are doing a terrible job of it, not that anyone asked or wanted them to do it.

There actually is a lot to dislike about Win10 if you're consumer who actually cares about privacy or control over your system, for instance for me; Forced updates which was and is never a good idea to begin with plus MS has been awful at updates in the past few years, no ability to choose what updates get installed (again because MS is awful at updates), zero ability to turn off telemetry (you know part of that whole spying thing) even if you set it to be off [MS has said this several times by the way], the UI [an improvement over win8/8.1 in literally one respect] is still dreadful, why must we have mobile interfaces on a desktop? It's dumb and it makes the whole system look and feel like a crappy knockoff and lastly, backwards compatibility is once again an issue for a new version of windows but that comes with the territory for Windows at this point, which is still sad to this day.

Please take off your tin foil hat for a moment. Microsoft does not use Windows 10 to spy on you, and it has been proven as a fact from many of their license agreements. There are hundreds of articles that also gather quotes and facts that contribute to the arguement against these absurd ideals that windows 10 is a Cold War spy device used to steal your information. Although what I just said is an exaggeration, that is basically what people think windows 10 does, which is untrue. About updates: Microsoft has been constantly releasing updates which has added new features, and fixed almost all of the problems that I had with the OS. It is a very reliable OS, but I would never suggest updating from a previous OS, unless you buy a new computer or you completely wipe yours. I just got lucky when installing it, since I had little to no problems.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 1 day ago #19

  • crosire
  • crosire's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2437
  • Thank you received: 1384
Btw, this is a fun read, at least for developers: i.imgur.com/y6clspP.jpg (I don't know if it's legit or not, but it could very well be judging from my own experience and explains a lot why Windows 10 is what it is).
Cheers, crosire =)
Last Edit: 8 months 1 day ago by crosire.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirectX 12 8 months 1 day ago #20

  • Marty McFly
  • Marty McFly's Avatar
  • Offline
  • We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!
  • Posts: 609
  • Thank you received: 716
You didn't get the point, Microsoft makes mistakes every few months and releases a flawed update which destroys the whole system. While this may happen, they are people after all, the automatic updates result in a lot more people suffering from the consequences than before. You have the logical fallacy that just because nothing bad did happen to you, nothing bad happens at all. For my Windows 7, I update once a month and managed to dodge every flawed update with this but on my laptop I can't do this anymore hence I do backup over backup of my study files.

@MonarchX: Different versions, different versions. Try running GTASA ENB on anything newer than Windows 7, you will habe extreme issues. That is no dumb user issue, these versions run for less than 10 percent of the people on Windows 8+ and none of the fixes that solve issues on other versions work, or any fix, for that matter.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2