Procedure for upgrading ReShade?

• Psychor
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #1 by Psychor Procedure for upgrading ReShade? was created by Psychor
What is the best way to upgrade ReShade between releases without losing our game configurations? Do you just extract the latest version over the prior version?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JBeckman
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #2 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Procedure for upgrading ReShade?
With 2.0 what I do when I manually install ReShade is that I copy over and replace the ReShade.fx file and the specific .dll the game requires (ReShade32 for 32-bit, ReShade64for 64-bit) overwriting the older version, for the ReShade folder itself I replace the keycodes.h file (Not really required.) and the Shaders folder.

Then for the profiles and presets folders I merge them together so you get Global.cfg and Global (2).cfg and so on and then I use a program called WinMerge to compare and merge any differences before removing the (2).cfg files. :)

I heard you can just use the included software to update your existing "symlinked" configs but I do not know how good it is at merging differences and retaining existing configs across the presets you've created with it, prefer to do it manually so I haven't used said software.

EDIT: Also while not required I do check the Github changes and merge in the latest commits from that, for this new 2.0.2f1 release that's not really required unless you want the histogram shader effect though and the current pending inclusion of a small optimization to the mouse driven depth of field focus effect.
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by JBeckman.

• crosire
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Procedure for upgrading ReShade?
If you want to update ReShade itself only and leave the shaders alone, just replace "ReShade32.dll", "ReShade64.dll" and the "ReShade Assistant" executables with the updated ones. Then open up the assistant and reload all profiles, so their binaries are updated as well.
If you want to update the shaders as well, copy over and overwrite the "ReShade\Shaders" folder and proceed as JBeckman said.

JBeckman wrote: unless you want the histogram shader effect though and the current pending inclusion of a small optimization to the mouse driven depth of field focus effect.

They are not part of 2.0.2f1 yet.
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by crosire.

• JBeckman
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #4 by JBeckman Replied by JBeckman on topic Procedure for upgrading ReShade?
Yeah that's true, I probably made it a bit overly complicated with my explanation as updating the binaries (The .dll files.) is usually enough if you want to keep it simple.

Also the ReShade.fx file might see some changes but that's as far as I know almost always part of shader pack changes and those tend to be posted together with the ReShade injector ones on these forums whenever there's a update for them so if you only see notes for the injector itself there's usually no changes to the shader pack. :)

(I tend to compare with the Github shader changes too as I said but it's not really necessary and depending on well a lot of factors I suppose those updates might even not be fully compatible with the current injector version.)
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by JBeckman.

• Psychor
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 weeks ago #5 by Psychor Replied by Psychor on topic Procedure for upgrading ReShade?
Thank you both for the detailed replies.

• brazzjazz
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #6 by brazzjazz Replied by brazzjazz on topic Procedure for upgrading ReShade?

JBeckman wrote: With 2.0 what I do when I manually install ReShade is that I copy over and replace the ReShade.fx file and the specific .dll the game requires (ReShade32 for 32-bit, ReShade64for 64-bit) overwriting the older version, for the ReShade folder itself I replace the keycodes.h file (Not really required.) and the Shaders folder. [...]

Hi, I'm currently using ReShade 1.1.0 with SweetFX 2.0.7. So far I've only edited SweetFX_settings.txt files in the corresponding game folders. Can I do a clean new install of the latest ReShade and just re-use those txt files? I have only cursory knowledge of how ReShade actually works and the difference between ReShade and SweetFX actually so I'm careful about changing anything about my configuration.

• brazzjazz
More
6 years 10 months ago #7 by brazzjazz Replied by brazzjazz on topic Procedure for upgrading ReShade?
bump

• FierySwordswoman
More
6 years 10 months ago #8 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic Procedure for upgrading ReShade?
Just do a clean install and use the same settings from the SweetFX configuration file in the ReShade 3 shaders.

• brazzjazz
More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #9 by brazzjazz Replied by brazzjazz on topic Procedure for upgrading ReShade?

FierySwordswoman wrote: Just do a clean install and use the same settings from the SweetFX configuration file in the ReShade 3 shaders.

Thanks, fiery swordswoman! :)

For other people upgrading from earlier versions: you have to manually remove any old ReShade / SweetFX files from the game folder before running the new ReShade assistant. See the accompanying thread: How do I uninstall SweetFX
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by brazzjazz.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.