Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Procedure for upgrading ReShade?

Procedure for upgrading ReShade? 8 months 5 days ago #1

• Psychor
  • Thank you received: 2
What is the best way to upgrade ReShade between releases without losing our game configurations? Do you just extract the latest version over the prior version?

Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Procedure for upgrading ReShade? 8 months 4 days ago #2

• JBeckman
  • Thank you received: 36
With 2.0 what I do when I manually install ReShade is that I copy over and replace the ReShade.fx file and the specific .dll the game requires (ReShade32 for 32-bit, ReShade64for 64-bit) overwriting the older version, for the ReShade folder itself I replace the keycodes.h file (Not really required.) and the Shaders folder.

Then for the profiles and presets folders I merge them together so you get Global.cfg and Global (2).cfg and so on and then I use a program called WinMerge to compare and merge any differences before removing the (2).cfg files. :)

I heard you can just use the included software to update your existing "symlinked" configs but I do not know how good it is at merging differences and retaining existing configs across the presets you've created with it, prefer to do it manually so I haven't used said software.

EDIT: Also while not required I do check the Github changes and merge in the latest commits from that, for this new 2.0.2f1 release that's not really required unless you want the histogram shader effect though and the current pending inclusion of a small optimization to the mouse driven depth of field focus effect.
Last Edit: 8 months 4 days ago by JBeckman.

Procedure for upgrading ReShade? 8 months 4 days ago #3

• crosire
  • Thank you received: 1385
If you want to update ReShade itself only and leave the shaders alone, just replace "ReShade32.dll", "ReShade64.dll" and the "ReShade Assistant" executables with the updated ones. Then open up the assistant and reload all profiles, so their binaries are updated as well.
If you want to update the shaders as well, copy over and overwrite the "ReShade\Shaders" folder and proceed as JBeckman said.

JBeckman wrote:
unless you want the histogram shader effect though and the current pending inclusion of a small optimization to the mouse driven depth of field focus effect.
They are not part of 2.0.2f1 yet.
Cheers, crosire =)
Last Edit: 8 months 4 days ago by crosire.

Procedure for upgrading ReShade? 8 months 4 days ago #4

• JBeckman
  • Thank you received: 36
Yeah that's true, I probably made it a bit overly complicated with my explanation as updating the binaries (The .dll files.) is usually enough if you want to keep it simple.

Also the ReShade.fx file might see some changes but that's as far as I know almost always part of shader pack changes and those tend to be posted together with the ReShade injector ones on these forums whenever there's a update for them so if you only see notes for the injector itself there's usually no changes to the shader pack. :)

(I tend to compare with the Github shader changes too as I said but it's not really necessary and depending on well a lot of factors I suppose those updates might even not be fully compatible with the current injector version.)
Last Edit: 8 months 4 days ago by JBeckman.

Procedure for upgrading ReShade? 8 months 4 days ago #5

• Psychor
  • Thank you received: 2
Thank you both for the detailed replies.