Will advanced techniques be supported?

• luluco250
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #1 by luluco250 Will advanced techniques be supported? was created by luluco250
Excuse me in advance for possible lack of technical knowledge, but when programming/scripting shaders in Unity you can do neat stuff like loops for passes, change texture sizes, get rid of textures altogether when not necessary anymore, would this be supported in any way in the future?

Let's say you want to do a simple multi-pass blur filter and don't want to be forced to write multiple passes, could one do a loop of passes instead?
Also the whole temporary textures concept would be great for things like brightpass/threshold, ping-pong etc.
Maybe a small scripting API could help achieve this?

A bit offtopic so I'll spoiler it:
Warning: Spoiler!

By the way, great work on the in-game UI!
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by luluco250.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Will advanced techniques be supported?
Sure. Possible in theory. Just needs a nice syntax. That is, pass loops etc. The texture size is fixed for performance reasons.

As for HDR: This is not likely to happen. Not every game has a HDR intermediate step and there is no standardized way of doing it, so it would be very hard to detect. You can create HDR target textures with ReShade during post-processing, but the game input is always LDR (because the final output buffer is LDR, since drivers usually don't support anything higher).
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: luluco250

• luluco250
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #3 by luluco250 Replied by luluco250 on topic Will advanced techniques be supported?
Alright, I guess I'll mess around with creating HDR using Bloom and other effects and tonemap it, but it can be a bit complicated due to not being able to read/write from the same texture unless it's the backbuffer, but that can be fixed with ping-ponging.

Thanks for the feedback!

• luluco250
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago #4 by luluco250 Replied by luluco250 on topic Will advanced techniques be supported?
Hey, sorry for necroing this thread but I just wanted to show I managed to implement HDR on ReShade!

gfycat.com/MerryDecimalCarpenterant

• crosire
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Will advanced techniques be supported?
Nice job. Although technically that's lighting adaption, not HDR. HDR isn't an effect, but a way to render scenes with more precise lighting information in a larger range, so details are preserved better and effects like adaption etc. have more information to work with.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by crosire.

• luluco250
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #6 by luluco250 Replied by luluco250 on topic Will advanced techniques be supported?
I know what real HDR is (I have worked this bloom shader on Unity with real HDR), I made a shader that curves up the LDR backbuffer into an HDR texture using lerp and smoothstep, essentially thresholding.

It's not real HDR but it does what I need it to nicely.

Edit, here's how it works:

2 RGBA16F textures are created, one main and another for read/write.

Fake HDR shader writes to the main texture by thresholding the backbuffer, anything above that threshold is multiplied by a configurable value, using smoothstep this threshold is, obviously, smooth.

Any shader that requires read/write of HDR in the same pass can simply make use of a pre-created "CopyHDRtoTex" function and copy the current HDR to the second texture.

At the end of the pipeline before LDR shaders a tonemapping shader works on the main texture and writes to the backbuffer.

So it both is and isn't real HDR.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by luluco250.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jas01

• crosire
More
7 years 9 months ago #7 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Will advanced techniques be supported?
I see =). Interesting approach!

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.