Open Source

• atom0s
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #1 by atom0s Open Source was created by atom0s
Are there any plans to make ReShade (or the previous projects by the developer team members such as SweetFX) open source? Some of my projects consist of hooking/wrapping Direct3D and exposing a handful of features to users. One of my recent projects implements an old version of SweetFX's source code to allow usage with my hook so that users do not have to choose between one or the other to use. Would love to implement some of the newer methods into some personal projects of mine (all credits are kept in tact of course to the original authors etc.)

Just sad to see all the projects of this nature always seem to be closed source for whatever reason.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• strelokgunslinger
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #2 by strelokgunslinger Replied by strelokgunslinger on topic Open Source
Patience and watch this space:
github.com/crosire/
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by strelokgunslinger.

• crosire
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Open Source
I know your feeling, felt exactly the same when I started the project myself. No information about it to be found anywhere whatsoever, so it required a lot of trial and error (that was before ReShade, in times of eFX 1.0 and 2.0).

EDITED:
I really like open source and I prefer to use it when appropiate. I'm mainly concerned that the code could be used by the wrong people for the wrong things, which would hurt the project a lot, in that it would disallow use in multiplayer games, which is why I don't yet want to open source core ReShade. This doesn't mean parts of it don't make it into open source, but not the whole software package.
I hope you understand. Feel free to discuss =)
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick

• 1Kebab
More
8 years 8 months ago #4 by 1Kebab Replied by 1Kebab on topic Open Source

crosire wrote: I know your feeling, felt exactly the same when I started the project myself. No information about it to be found anywhere whatsoever, so it required a lot of trial and error (that was before ReShade, in times of eFX 1.0 and 2.0).

EDITED:
I really like open source and I prefer to use it when appropiate. I'm mainly concerned that the code could be used by the wrong people for the wrong things, which would hurt the project a lot, in that it would disallow use in multiplayer games, which is why I don't yet want to open source core ReShade. This doesn't mean parts of it don't make it into open source, but not the whole software package.
I hope you understand. Feel free to discuss =)

I do wonder why is it that you are so afraid of people using your code? Like a ton of people everyday release cheats that are far more powerful than an injector that only provides depth buffer information don't you agree?

• Martigen
More
8 years 8 months ago #5 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Open Source

1Kebab wrote: I do wonder why is it that you are so afraid of people using your code? Like a ton of people everyday release cheats that are far more powerful than an injector that only provides depth buffer information don't you agree?

The problem is it only takes one modified form of Reshade that's used as an exploit for it be banned. Then news will spread that Reshade is a cheating tool. Once that cat is out of the bag, you can't take it back. More and more versions of that exploit will be made off that codebase, and Reshade will be perma-banned in any form, preventing the use of every *other* shader that isn't depth-based with online games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zomgerd

• 1Kebab
More
8 years 8 months ago #6 by 1Kebab Replied by 1Kebab on topic Open Source

Martigen wrote:

1Kebab wrote: I do wonder why is it that you are so afraid of people using your code? Like a ton of people everyday release cheats that are far more powerful than an injector that only provides depth buffer information don't you agree?

The problem is it only takes one modified form of Reshade that's used as an exploit for it be banned. Then news will spread that Reshade is a cheating tool. Once that cat is out of the bag, you can't take it back. More and more versions of that exploit will be made off that codebase, and Reshade will be perma-banned in any form, preventing the use of every *other* shader that isn't depth-based with online games.

So why can't we have another method of getting the depth buffer which has been used in several other cheating programs? The thing is that I think it's sad that other games have to suffer because of this. And if there would be some kinda way to still provide the depth buffer even if you'll get banned I would gladly take it. Cause frankly the games I do play have absolute no anti cheat system and a little tool providing the depth buffer wouldn't do any harm to it.

• Moonkey
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #7 by Moonkey Replied by Moonkey on topic Open Source

1Kebab wrote:

Martigen wrote:

So why can't we have another method of getting the depth buffer which has been used in several other cheating programs? The thing is that I think it's sad that other games have to suffer because of this. And if there would be some kinda way to still provide the depth buffer even if you'll get banned I would gladly take it. Cause frankly the games I do play have absolute no anti cheat system and a little tool providing the depth buffer wouldn't do any harm to it.

Other games have to suffer to keep this tool alive, viable, and working (at least in multiplayer games on some level). My best suggestion would to be... well, just get those cheating programs that you know about (If it has no anti-cheat and you already know there's other working programs out there, why do you want ReShade to be another one of those? :P). And ReShade doesn't want to be known for being that tool that lets you cheat. It wants to be known for graphical modifications and glorious screenshots.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Moonkey.

• 1Kebab
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #8 by 1Kebab Replied by 1Kebab on topic Open Source
Dank
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by 1Kebab.

• Wicked Sick
More
8 years 8 months ago #9 by Wicked Sick Replied by Wicked Sick on topic Open Source
Disgusting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1Kebab

• NoMansReshade
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #10 by NoMansReshade Replied by NoMansReshade on topic Open Source
Sorry to revive a dead topic. I have done some research and have found out that Crosire has been hired onto a well-paying job that takes up a large portion of his time, making it hard to work on reshade. With this in mind, wouldn't it make more sense to open-source reshade (even if it's proportional) and move to a contributer-driven development model? I understand that Crosire is afraid of people using reshade for bad, whether it's using the source to detect it with anti-cheats or use the hooks for game cheats. And while that is a very reasonable concern, it leads me to ask the question; Is it more important for the framework to be used for good, or for it to be used at all? While this is obviously an exaggerated question, I hope that it get's the point across.

Any reply is greatly appreciated!
Please and thank you,
NoMansReshade.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by NoMansReshade.

• crosire
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #11 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Open Source
Making ReShade open source will nullify the effect of the network block which is supposed to keep ReShade from being exploited in multiplayer games. Like I said, I'm just afraid of mis-use, wouldn't have much of an issue with putting it up otherwise. I'll post a poll and let it run for a while ...
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by crosire.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.