Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Open Source

Open Source 1 year 9 months ago #1

Are there any plans to make ReShade (or the previous projects by the developer team members such as SweetFX) open source? Some of my projects consist of hooking/wrapping Direct3D and exposing a handful of features to users. One of my recent projects implements an old version of SweetFX's source code to allow usage with my hook so that users do not have to choose between one or the other to use. Would love to implement some of the newer methods into some personal projects of mine (all credits are kept in tact of course to the original authors etc.)

Just sad to see all the projects of this nature always seem to be closed source for whatever reason.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Open Source 1 year 9 months ago #2

Patience and watch this space:
github.com/crosire/
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by strelokgunslinger.

Open Source 1 year 9 months ago #3

• crosire
  • Thank you received: 1391
I know your feeling, felt exactly the same when I started the project myself. No information about it to be found anywhere whatsoever, so it required a lot of trial and error (that was before ReShade, in times of eFX 1.0 and 2.0).

EDITED:
I really like open source and I prefer to use it when appropiate. I'm mainly concerned that the code could be used by the wrong people for the wrong things, which would hurt the project a lot, in that it would disallow use in multiplayer games, which is why I don't yet want to open source core ReShade. This doesn't mean parts of it don't make it into open source, but not the whole software package.
I hope you understand. Feel free to discuss =)
Cheers, crosire =)
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick

Open Source 1 year 4 months ago #4

crosire wrote:
I know your feeling, felt exactly the same when I started the project myself. No information about it to be found anywhere whatsoever, so it required a lot of trial and error (that was before ReShade, in times of eFX 1.0 and 2.0).

EDITED:
I really like open source and I prefer to use it when appropiate. I'm mainly concerned that the code could be used by the wrong people for the wrong things, which would hurt the project a lot, in that it would disallow use in multiplayer games, which is why I don't yet want to open source core ReShade. This doesn't mean parts of it don't make it into open source, but not the whole software package.
I hope you understand. Feel free to discuss =)

I do wonder why is it that you are so afraid of people using your code? Like a ton of people everyday release cheats that are far more powerful than an injector that only provides depth buffer information don't you agree?

Open Source 1 year 4 months ago #5

• Martigen
  • Thank you received: 35
1Kebab wrote:
I do wonder why is it that you are so afraid of people using your code? Like a ton of people everyday release cheats that are far more powerful than an injector that only provides depth buffer information don't you agree?
The problem is it only takes one modified form of Reshade that's used as an exploit for it be banned. Then news will spread that Reshade is a cheating tool. Once that cat is out of the bag, you can't take it back. More and more versions of that exploit will be made off that codebase, and Reshade will be perma-banned in any form, preventing the use of every *other* shader that isn't depth-based with online games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zomgerd

Open Source 1 year 4 months ago #6

Martigen wrote:
1Kebab wrote:
The problem is it only takes one modified form of Reshade that's used as an exploit for it be banned. Then news will spread that Reshade is a cheating tool. Once that cat is out of the bag, you can't take it back. More and more versions of that exploit will be made off that codebase, and Reshade will be perma-banned in any form, preventing the use of every *other* shader that isn't depth-based with online games.

So why can't we have another method of getting the depth buffer which has been used in several other cheating programs? The thing is that I think it's sad that other games have to suffer because of this. And if there would be some kinda way to still provide the depth buffer even if you'll get banned I would gladly take it. Cause frankly the games I do play have absolute no anti cheat system and a little tool providing the depth buffer wouldn't do any harm to it.

Open Source 1 year 4 months ago #7

• Moonkey
  • Thank you received: 13
1Kebab wrote:
Martigen wrote:
1Kebab wrote:

So why can't we have another method of getting the depth buffer which has been used in several other cheating programs? The thing is that I think it's sad that other games have to suffer because of this. And if there would be some kinda way to still provide the depth buffer even if you'll get banned I would gladly take it. Cause frankly the games I do play have absolute no anti cheat system and a little tool providing the depth buffer wouldn't do any harm to it.
Other games have to suffer to keep this tool alive, viable, and working (at least in multiplayer games on some level). My best suggestion would to be... well, just get those cheating programs that you know about (If it has no anti-cheat and you already know there's other working programs out there, why do you want ReShade to be another one of those? :P). And ReShade doesn't want to be known for being that tool that lets you cheat. It wants to be known for graphical modifications and glorious screenshots.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Moonkey.

Open Source 1 year 4 months ago #8

Dank
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by 1Kebab.

Open Source 1 year 4 months ago #9

• Wicked Sick
  • Die young or suffer (Forgive my poor English)
  • Thank you received: 105
Disgusting.
Finding relief somewhere between a tree's branch and its shade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1Kebab