Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can we rename the d3d9, dxgi, etc files?

Can we rename the d3d9, dxgi, etc files? 4 months 1 week ago #1

• Irkie500
  • Thank you received: 4
The reason I ask is because while trying to use ENB with reshade 2.0 every time I rename the reshade file to something like other_d3d9.dll to not conflict with the enb d3d9.dll reshade does not load. I set enable proxy libraries in the enblocal.ini for those who are familiar.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can we rename the d3d9, dxgi, etc files? 4 months 1 week ago #2

• JBeckman
  • Thank you received: 36
It should theoretically hook via any .dll the exe loads but I don't know if it's a good idea to force it via e.g dsound.dll or one of the core Windows OS files.

EDIT:

D3D9, D3D10, D3D11 and DXGI .dll should be the main ones and some games do load files despite not using that specific API, D3D12.dll will probably also work once ReShade supports DX12 and of course OpenGL32.dll
(ddraw.dll, dinput.dll and xinput1_3.dll and xaudio2_7.dll might be viable and of course the earlier dsound.dll if ReShade can be loaded by any .dll name without messing up things with the loading of the real .dll file usually in the Windows folder.)
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by JBeckman.

Can we rename the d3d9, dxgi, etc files? 4 months 1 week ago #3

• crosire
  • Thank you received: 1387
ReShade has wrapping support for d3d9.dll, d3d10.dll, d3d11.dll, dxgi.dll and opengl32.dll (as JBeckman wrote), meaning it exports the same functions and can be used as an in-place replacement. If your game loads one of those, that that's how you get ReShade to load. You can inject ReShade via other methods as well (i.e. ENBInjector), but wrapping only works with those 5 names. Any other name, like dsound.dll is not supported, since ReShade does not export DirectSound etc. functions.
Cheers, crosire =)
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by crosire.

Can we rename the d3d9, dxgi, etc files? 4 months 1 week ago #4

• ShoterXX
  • Thank you received: 9
What about DirectDraw (ddraw.dll)? It seems to work most of the time.

Can we rename the d3d9, dxgi, etc files? 4 months 1 week ago #5

• JBeckman
  • Thank you received: 36
It's part of DirectX (Direct2D I believe?) but I completely forgot about what Crosire mentioned above with how a .dll might not be supported because the ReShade .dll doesn't have the functionality from it. :)

Thus I assume it would be pretty bad to try and force it to load via unsupported files although from your post it seems the 2D / Direct Draw one apparently worked.

EDIT: Alternatively the way ENB's injector work and say GeDoSaTo would be to use a exe to inject a .dll that way but it has other issues in turn.
(GeDoSaTo has issues with SecureBoot enabled systems via this method for example as it's considered unsafe and not entirely supported.)

Although if ENB takes D3D9.dll or D3D11.dll that should still leave a few supported .dll files for ReShade even without going through the proxy functionality in ENB to load a secondary .dll file.
(That could be more compatible though but yeah I usually also have problems getting ENB to load in ReShade via Proxy, takes some tinkering with the proxy settings as some games want different ones for it to work without crashing on start.)

(For Fallout 4 for example ENB uses D3D11.dll and a modified and renamed d3dcompiler_46.dll leaving dxgi.dll for ReShade, not quite sure how well this works with D3D9 however if said exe doesn't initialize D3D10 or above or OpenGL.)
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by JBeckman.

Can we rename the d3d9, dxgi, etc files? 4 months 1 week ago #6

• crosire
  • Thank you received: 1387
ShoterXX wrote:
What about DirectDraw (ddraw.dll)? It seems to work most of the time.
Not supported. You may get lucky if the game loads the DLL, but doesn't actually use DirectDraw. Windows will complain if it does.
Cheers, crosire =)
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by crosire.