Question: Shader compatibility with video players

• Alo81
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #1 by Alo81 Question: Shader compatibility with video players was created by Alo81
I was reading a comment recently on a very large bluray file size with an extremely high bitrate. People were complaining that the high bitrate was necessary because the video was intentionally very grainy and it added a particular character to the work, and even with the high bitrate it still didn't perfectly transfer the nature of the grain.

This had me thinking that with something like Martin's Film Grain shader , you could have considerably lower bitrate, denoised video then add film grain as a post effect for a very similar result at a MUCH smaller file size.

I know that the Reshade tool has an option to open a screenshot and apply shaders to it, is there any way of this possibly working with a video player?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Question: Shader compatibility with video players
Yes. The really good Media Player Classic ( mpc-hc.org/ ) works with ReShade. You need some tool to inject the ReShade DLL into the process at startup though. If you use the 32-bit version, ENBInjector works well, for 64-bit you'd have to do a Google search for a 64-bit DLL injector.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by crosire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kuniyo

• Alo81
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #3 by Alo81 Replied by Alo81 on topic Question: Shader compatibility with video players
That's awesome to hear. I'll look into settings something like this up. Thanks.

• sneezes
More
7 years 4 months ago #4 by sneezes Replied by sneezes on topic Question: Shader compatibility with video players
Could you explain how to do this?

• Aelius Maximus
More
6 years 3 months ago #5 by Aelius Maximus Replied by Aelius Maximus on topic Question: Shader compatibility with video players
No longer works since Reshade had a UI, even with injector

• greenhand
More
5 years 8 months ago #6 by greenhand Replied by greenhand on topic Question: Shader compatibility with video players
It'd me far easier to just use mpv player and install it the way you would with any game. it uses the DirectX11 API.

• knowom
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #7 by knowom Replied by knowom on topic Question: Shader compatibility with video players
This is a interesting topic. So does this mean I can stream from a PC to a GTX960 that can post process the stream itself? I mean if that's the case couldn't I render a game on GTX980 and within the same PC stream it with a video player to the GTX960 and ReShade post process it on the GTX960 w/o it impacting the GPU resources of the GTX980?

Seems a lot like a free and better alternative to a mCable at that point if you've got two discrete GPU's and just want to use a second one to post process a stream within the same PC via a localhost video stream. Also that's basically in essence what LucidHydra was aiming towards in terms of mGPU though never quite achieved doing very well at.

If that actually works that would be a great way to take advantage of that new post process path tracing ReShade enables and obviously many others like sharpeners, AA, color correction, and more.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by knowom.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.