For a n00b. How to get started?

• BrandonHortman
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #1 by BrandonHortman For a n00b. How to get started? was created by BrandonHortman
First and foremost thank you Crosire for scanning my brain while I slept to bring my dreams to life =D

I've got the basics covered I think.

I've got ReShade.
I've got the Master Effects shader pack.
I understand that you need to change the *.dll file to whatever version game you are using (opengl/DX8-11.2)
I understand that the *.FX file is what needs to be edited
I understand I need to install these files into the folder with the games *.exe file.

I tried it with Far Cry 4 last night. All I could ever think about while playing that game is WHERE IS MAH DOF!!! =D So I was psyched about reshade
I couldn't get it working, probably on my part having Sweetfx in the folder. It gave me three errors about SMAA that Sweetfx was giving me before with FC4 before I started using Radeonpro to inject sweetfx.

Am I missing anything?
Is there a way to edit in game?
If so then how can I be sure that the ReShade settings are applied, will they be apparent immediately, or do I need to press some sort of hotkey to re toggle?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JPulowski
More
9 years 2 months ago #2 by JPulowski Replied by JPulowski on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
If you want to use DoF in Far Cry 4, you should note that Far Cry 4 does not have a depth buffer output, therefore it is impossible to use DoF. ( reshade.me/compatibility )

But other effects should work fine. Can you post your .log file?
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrandonHortman

• BrandonHortman
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #3 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
Awwww sadness =/
Still I'm really psyched =D
Thanks for the reply and tip!

Oh wow. I think I was always looking at the wrong log file!! This one (dxdi.log) actually seems to have info in it lol

pastebin.com/GSPuwiz8

• crosire
More
9 years 2 months ago #4 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
Looks like you have an old SweetFX installation left and did not overwrite it with the SweetFX files that came with ReShade =).

• BrandonHortman
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #5 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
Thanks for the replies. :cheer:
I downloaded the developer version lol =D
ooops
I thought something wasn't adding up!!

I am really excited about this project. I can only donate a meek 10 euros, but I hope it helps. =D
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire, Omnipotus

• crosire
More
9 years 2 months ago #6 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
Thanks a bunch! =)
I asume things work the way they should work now then.

• BrandonHortman
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #7 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
Indeed it does!! I couldn't tell for two days because a lot of GA lost power for a while because of ice.
Got started with Witcher 2 today =D
Thanks a ton!

• Avitus
More
9 years 1 month ago #8 by Avitus Replied by Avitus on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
I have a noob question of my own:

I'm having a really hard time with DoF. I got it adjusted more or less to my liking in Dark Souls II, but it's been rough trying to find the right tweaks for Dragon Age: Inquisition. I've googled the hell out of this topic, but I can't find any guides to adjusting the DoF settings and despite hours of trial and error and study on camera aperatures, I'm still shaky on what the settings under Matso's DoF actually do, on an individual basis. I can tell that some of them interact with each other in varying ways depending on what the settings actually are, but I'm not having much luck on pinning down these relationships well enough to adjust the DoF properly.

Any advice, links, whathaveyou would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• BrandonHortman
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #9 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
Maybe my preset could be a good starting point?
www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/438/ ?

• CROcodile20
More
9 years 1 month ago #10 by CROcodile20 Replied by CROcodile20 on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
I dont want to open a new thread just for this, so I will post my question here. I`m using the latest sweetfx 2.0 + reshade 0.15. On some particular presets (like this one: sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/913/ ), it says that you need to use a particular version of sweetfx. My question is, can I normally use the older presets with sweetfx 2.0 ?

• crosire
More
9 years 1 month ago #11 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
SweetFX is backwards-compatible, so they should usually still work, yes.

• CROcodile20
More
9 years 1 month ago #12 by CROcodile20 Replied by CROcodile20 on topic For a n00b. How to get started?

crosire wrote: SweetFX is backwards-compatible, so they should usually still work, yes.

Tnx for the fast reply. Do you know maybe why sweetfx fails/stops to work in a game (AC rogue) when I raise SMAA value in the preset ?
For example, SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 12, I change it to 16.

• BrandonHortman
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #13 by BrandonHortman Replied by BrandonHortman on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
You could check your *.log file in your game folder that ReShade makes and updates each time you play.
Maybe it can give you some insight.

Example: if the game is Dxgi it will be dxgi.log ( or dxd9.log or opengl32.log ect)

• CROcodile20
More
9 years 1 month ago #14 by CROcodile20 Replied by CROcodile20 on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
Well, this is strange. I use this preset ( sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3139/ ) for AC Rogue. And in the link, it says that I have the choice of using either FXAA or SMAA. So I have enabled SMAA like in the instructions (USE_SMAA 1, USE_FXAA 0), but the sweefx fails everytime on startup. It does that whatever change I make to the preset file. Why ? I`m using the latest sweetfx 2.0 + reshade 0.15., Windows 8.1 Pro x64

• crosire
More
9 years 1 month ago #15 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic For a n00b. How to get started?

CROcodile20 wrote: but the sweefx fails everytime on startup.

Please be a bit more specific and as BrandonHortman said, attach a log file. It's hard to help without information =)

• CROcodile20
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #16 by CROcodile20 Replied by CROcodile20 on topic For a n00b. How to get started?

crosire wrote:

CROcodile20 wrote: but the sweefx fails everytime on startup.

Please be a bit more specific and as BrandonHortman said, attach a log file. It's hard to help without information =)

Nevermind, I solved my problem by changing the encoding in the SweetFX_settings.txt file from UTF-8 to ANSI.
Now everything works :)

@crosire, can you tell me, what would be the best (ultra) SMAA settings in sweetFX ?
Specifically, I`m talking about these settings --->

SMAA_THRESHOLD
SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS
SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG
SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
SMAA_EDGE_DETECTION
SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND

// -- SMAA Predication settings --

SMAA_PREDICATION
SMAA_PREDICATION_THRESHOLD
SMAA_PREDICATION_SCALE
SMAA_PREDICATION_STRENGTH
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by CROcodile20.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crosire

• crosire
More
9 years 1 month ago - 8 years 5 months ago #17 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic For a n00b. How to get started?

CROcodile20 wrote: can you tell me, what would be the best (ultra) SMAA settings in sweetFX ?

I'm no expert with that, but I'd suggest you check out these settings .
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by crosire. Reason: Fixed link

• tybalitea
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #18 by tybalitea Replied by tybalitea on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
General tips i gathered to make reshade work with depthbuffer (if that can help):

• disable in-game antialiasing/ or other shader effects (hdr,dof,bloom...)
  • disable steam/origin/GFWL overlay
  • Hide/disable in-game Ui, if the game permits
  • make sure the game is not hooked by nvinspector or other graphic tool
  • find some tweaks/unofficial patches for your game

Concerning unity engine games :

and the flipped depthbuffer , there's a solution that has worked for many unity games,
use this command line : "-force-opengl"
i can't garantee it will work with all of them, but with wasteland 2, satellite reign and some others, it worked just fine.

about unreal engine 3 games :

some of UE3 games can be launched with different devices with these command lines :
-d3d9
-d3d11
-opengl (generally bugged)

just keep in mind that the unreal engine 3 is a very reluctent engine for reshade, you will rarely
access the depthbuffer.

• jmp909
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #19 by jmp909 Replied by jmp909 on topic For a n00b. How to get started?
Ceejay would likely be the best person to ask about the SMAA predication settings etc. I've seen settings that look like they are meant to improve beyond that original Ultra setting.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.