Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Revisiting Optimal Effect Ordering - Discussion

Revisiting Optimal Effect Ordering - Discussion 1 month 4 weeks ago #1

• Martigen
  • Thank you received: 35
So, one of the wonderful things we can do now thanks to Reshade 3.0 is seeing the effect in real-time of effect ordering.

Does effect ordering matter? Oh yes. Yes indeedy.

I hope this thread serves as a starting point, where we can combine the knowledge of everyone testing Reshade to work out a Grand Agreed Optimal Effect Ordering (GAOEO -- Ok we need another acronym, that one sucks)

Anyway, you get the idea. There is the old 'pipeline.cfg', but a chunk of SweetFX's shaders were bundled together in 'Shared', Ioxa's shaders like Clarity and Highpass weren't included, and others (in my experience) might be better ordered differently (like HQ4X further down the chain, back when I was using it)

A good example of breaking down the old Shared shaders are Curves and Vibrance, which I think work better at the end of the chain, but in the old pipeline.cfg were much higher up due to the other shaders bundled into Shared. DPX, when it gets added, will definitely benefit by being able to move more independently than it was when bundled up in Shared.

So post your testing/experience or, if you're a genius like Marty or Ganossa or Ceejay, your knowledge on which order effects should be processed and perhaps we can build a definitive recommended guide -- possibly also, I presume, something that Reshade can later use to automatically order for 'best case' if such a feature comes along.

In my testing tonight with Firewatch and a selection of effects -- and after much, much dragging effects around to see the impact in real-time -- this is I think a good starting point:
  • MXAO
  • Deband
  • Lumasharpen
  • Highpass Sharpen
  • Adaptive Sharpen
  • Colourfulness
  • SMAA/FXAA
  • Bloom
  • Clarity
  • Ambient Light
  • Curves
  • Vibrance
Some of these are surprising, like Colourfulness, but I was getting artifacts when this was placed after either of SMAA or FXAA. Similarly, it took some experimentation to find (what I think) was the best ordering of Bloom, Clarity and Ambient Light since they all had an effect on each other.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Genrix, CrazyCat, Sunesha, master2g

Revisiting Optimal Effect Ordering - Discussion 1 month 3 weeks ago #2

• Sunesha
  • Thank you received: 6
I gonna experiment tomorrow. Especially that you pointed out that Colorfulnes may give artifacts. I experienced some artifacts with MXAO. I thought the effects was still working with the pipeline.cfg

So if understand this correctly, I just drag and drop the shaders and they will layered in this order?

Revisiting Optimal Effect Ordering - Discussion 1 month 3 weeks ago #3

• lowenz
  • Thank you received: 15
My 2 cents about :D
See the fonts.

Revisiting Optimal Effect Ordering - Discussion 1 month 3 weeks ago #4

• Martigen
  • Thank you received: 35
Yeah that's pretty clear @lowenz :)

I did some more testing on Firewatch, and it's definitely better in the load order I had above. I think FW has some AA on by default (and can't be changed) so perhaps that has something to do with it. I am however currently testing in XCOM2 and again sharpening before AA creates cleaner lines, but it's marginally different compared to FW. I'll get around to uploading some screen shots later.

And that's the thing, the more input the better we can determine optimal orderings (thought of course it may also be game dependent... )

Revisiting Optimal Effect Ordering - Discussion 1 month 3 weeks ago #5

• Sunesha
  • Thank you received: 6
I got curious about putting sharpness before AA. I did not really like it. I think the details look weird. Especially in spots with high frequency of detail. I suspect both taste and settings in the sharpening matter. I usually set my sharpening down to you don't notice that been processed.

Also in this cases, What looks good on screen may not do so on another. As size and color changes a lot.