whats the "typical" frames per second drop Reshade

• master2g
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #1 by master2g whats the "typical" frames per second drop Reshade was created by master2g
So i have Need For Speed 2015 running with Reshade 3.0. Not running to many effects i dont think. I have these effects running in this load order....
1-Adaptive Sharpening
2-Lumasharpening
3-Clarity
4-ColorMatrix
5-Tonemap
6-Curves
7-Vibrance
8-Vignette
I have remove the other FX files to speed up load times at game start. With these effects on I see a 7 to 8 fps drop in game .
My system consists of a Intel 4770k oc,ed @ 4.2 - gtx 780ti oc,ed @ 1100 and 3600 memory with MSI Afterburner ( no over lay with msi used) - 16gb of 1866 ram
Windows 7 home 64 bit . Game and Reshade are on a WD Black edition 7400rpm hard drive . drive is only a year old 2 max. No back round processes running to decrease performance. So with all that i was wondering is it common to see that amount of FPS drop when using the reshade ? . Some times jumping back and forth from map to in game with NFS 2015 creates a slow down briefly as well. Kind of acts like each time i change the screen reshade reloads the effects but im not seeing the top grey bar stating this. Im a new comer to reshade so maybe im missing some thing to improve the performance of it ?. Open to any lessons at all my friends. Thanks in advance.

Gary~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• moriz1
More
7 years 6 months ago #2 by moriz1 Replied by moriz1 on topic whats the "typical" frames per second drop Reshade
the FPS cost of reshade depends on your current (without reshade) fps, and the amount of frame-time cost associated with reshade.

you can see the frame-time cost of reshade 3.0 in the ingame configuration menu, under the "Statistics" tab. it's called "Post-Processing".

for example, if your game runs at 60 fps (16.666667 ms frame-time), and your reshade frame-time is 0.04 ms, the FPS cost is 60-1/(1/60 + 0.00004) = ~0.143 FPS.

you can also see the exact frame-time impact of every shader in the same statistics tab.
The following user(s) said Thank You: master2g

• master2g
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #3 by master2g Replied by master2g on topic whats the "typical" frames per second drop Reshade
@moriz1 , your knowledge is gold my friend .Thanks for sharing. Im gonna fire up the game and check that out in five minutes. LOL reading those numbers and understanding them in my head almost blew a brain fuse . Carry the what and divide by the who ?????. I kid , :P
Thanks for the reply. Or as we say here in Canada , 'thanks for the help eh" :lol:

I am also wondering were on the forum can a person find a really detailed how to for 3.0 ? I would like to understand the utility as much as possible to be able to use it to its fullest. Alot of "trial and error" takes place when you are not fully familiar with everything in reshade.

Oh and what about that load order ? good as is ? or is there a better order to be had ? Thanks.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by master2g.

• moriz1
More
7 years 6 months ago #4 by moriz1 Replied by moriz1 on topic whats the "typical" frames per second drop Reshade
your load order looks good to me, though i'd run clarity after curves. here's a thread that discusses this: reshade.me/forum/general-discussion/2387...-ordering-discussion

as for the best way to use reshade:

you seem to have the basics down already. AFAIK, it's all trial and error from here, since effect usage is all personal preference. the 7-8 fps drop that you're seeing is a little worrying, since reshade shaders should have very little frame-time impact, unless your default frame-time is already ludicrously short (or in other words, you already have extremely high FPS).

• master2g
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #5 by master2g Replied by master2g on topic whats the "typical" frames per second drop Reshade
Cool, seeing you have more know how on reshade then me i will swap the load order as you suggest.

Excellent thanks for the link, Much beef jerky and beer will be consumed whilst i read up. I will read slow :P

Well when i toggle reshade on and off i see the fps counter in reshade go up 7 fps when off and then it drops back 7 fps when i toggle it on.
I run Adaptive Sharpening pretty high at 1.400 . Normally the is excessive I would think ( Batman Arkham Orgins 0.500 ) but the TAA in NFS 2015 is horribly dulling and requires that much just to be sharp again and thats on my 2560x1600 res as well ! :ohmy:

Average fps in the game with everything maxed except SSAO instead of HSAO and shadows on high instead of ultra.is,
reshade off - 38 to 58 and about 47 on average. I have a spot where i stop , then toggle 3.0 on and off and i go from 47 to 40 .
Any spot i try it will do the same fps drop .Now NFS is the only game that i use that many shaders at once. Its a filtered blurry mess with out them. Maybe that many is taxing ? I am new to it like i say so im learning as we speak bit by bit.

• Golgotha
More
7 years 6 months ago #6 by Golgotha Replied by Golgotha on topic whats the "typical" frames per second drop Reshade
First off, welcome to ReshadeLand! You picked a good time to get into it, used to be a lot of tedious alt-tabbing and txt file editing.

Anyway just to add to what Moriz suggested: Make sure you switch to performance mode in settings. (most basic but I managed to fail at this for a day or 2). As I'm sure you've seen if you followed Moriz advice is that clarity is giving you the biggest performance hit followed by adaptive sharpening. Personally I prefer adaptive over lumasharpening but only slightly, and adaptive will cost a few frames whereas luma is negligible. Having both is overkill IMHO and I think you could get by with just luma if you play around with the offset and clamp.

Reshade can actually save you frames in some cases if you disable in-game settings that reshade makes redundant. For example you can disable ingame AA and use smaa, fxaa or both. Also you might want to try disabling ssao and play around with mxao which has a good quality to performance ratio.

• master2g
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #7 by master2g Replied by master2g on topic whats the "typical" frames per second drop Reshade
This is great. I agree Golgotha i have been using 2.0 for about a month and it was adjust a value, apply and update even for a .05 value adjustment every single time :p. So i can only imagine what you experienced ones must have been dealing with when creating your presets. I mean dont get me wrong it still was a amazing tool but 3.0 s real time adjusting among other things makes it a whole lot better.

Ok i have switched to performance mode that was done already so im good there . Now i will try luma on its own and experiment with the settings. I find that NFS 2015 with out its in game taa is just awful. Every thing sparkles like it has diamonds attached to it. Not a good deal at all. Yet when you apply TAA the game blurs so badly it is crazy. Plus i will give reshade AA types a try and see if it corrects it .As well i will give MXAO a go to. Thanks to all for offering up some expert advice earned from many hours of trail and error. I like to learn. Keep you posted on my results. BTW if any one would like to add in on creating a super clear and crisp profile settings for NFS 2015 im all ears :) . The yellowish and green filters and dullness is just not acceptable to my eyes ugh hence reshade time :)
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by master2g.

• master2g
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #8 by master2g Replied by master2g on topic whats the "typical" frames per second drop Reshade
Golgotha , ok so i turned off Adaptive Sharpening and experimented with just Luma and indeed found a good setting that gives a crisp sharpening with out over doing it . It is "possibly "set high but i like fine details and there is no ringing as such thus i will leave it at that level . I tried all of the reshade AA effects and it just doesn't cure the massive amount of "shimmering " that takes place in NFS 2015 when FXAA or TAA is off. I hav eto leave TAA on or it just shimmers way to much. I turned off SSAO and tried MXAO but it never did much for this game and was oddly a massive FPS hit. Im still tweaking and have gotten the FPS drop down to 5 with less effects. The tweaking and learning has netted the same looks with less effects. Im still going to try others and as i said before if any one has info or better idea,s for this game by all means post them up. I am always looking to learn from others. Thanks .

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.