HowTo: Uninstall Reshade

• Mobeeuz
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #1 by Mobeeuz HowTo: Uninstall Reshade was created by Mobeeuz
This solution is for people who have installed ReShade using the installer from this site. If you have downloaded a mod somewhere, seek help from its creator - this is not their support forum. If that's not possible, see solution 1.

1) The "Do it for me / I don't wanna read" solution:
a) Delete the entire game folder and re-download the game. No, just uninstalling the game will not work.

2) The "But I don't wanna re-download my game and still don't wanna read" solution:
a) Go to the game's executable folder and delete any of the following files you see:
D3D8.DLL
D3D9.DLL
D3D10.DLL
D3D11.DLL
OPENGL.DLL
DXGI.DLL
3) The "Okay, fine, I'll read" solution:
Follow the solution to question 2, then delete any of these additional files:
D3D9.INI
D3D10.INI
D3D11.INI
OPENGL.INI
DXGI.INI
Along with the following folder:
reshade-shaders
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Mobeeuz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Howard
More
5 years 8 months ago #2 by Howard Replied by Howard on topic HowTo: Uninstall Reshade
Re Uninstall Re-Shade NOT WORKING. :angry:

I have followed the instructions above & deleted just two files plus the ReShade Folder.
But I still get a message advising of a ReShade update every time I start my Lockhead Martin P3D flight simulator.

When I press SHIFT+F2 I still get the ReShade menu though none of the links work.
I really do not wish to uninstall/reInstall P3D because it's a very complicated simulator & i have many hardware addons calibrated to P3D.

There must be files located somewhere.

Why does this program not have an Uninstall option? Beats me!
Please can someone help me to remove this ReShade software from my P3D installation.

Thanks,
Howard.

• Mobeeuz
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago #3 by Mobeeuz Replied by Mobeeuz on topic HowTo: Uninstall Reshade
What game, is it just that game, and did you delete the game folder completely and reinstall it?

• Evan20xx
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #4 by Evan20xx Replied by Evan20xx on topic HowTo: Uninstall Reshade

Howard wrote: Re Uninstall Re-Shade NOT WORKING. :angry:

I have followed the instructions above & deleted just two files plus the ReShade Folder.
But I still get a message advising of a ReShade update every time I start my Lockhead Martin P3D flight simulator.

When I press SHIFT+F2 I still get the ReShade menu though none of the links work.
I really do not wish to uninstall/reInstall P3D because it's a very complicated simulator & i have many hardware addons calibrated to P3D.

There must be files located somewhere.

Why does this program not have an Uninstall option? Beats me!
Please can someone help me to remove this ReShade software from my P3D installation.

Thanks,
Howard.

Run said game
now execute this command on your keyboard
CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE
This will open Task Manager

now under the Processes or Details tab find the games .exe file
now right click on the games .exe file and click Open File Location

Delete the files mentioned in the OP.

Best of luck!
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Evan20xx.

• user
More
5 years 4 months ago #5 by user Replied by user on topic HowTo: Uninstall Reshade
There are log files as well, for instance d3d9.log. Should follow the same naming syntax.

• indyx55x
More
3 years 10 months ago #6 by indyx55x Replied by indyx55x on topic HowTo: Uninstall Reshade
Good afternoon, it appears to me whenever I open FiveM the following message, "Unable to save current preset. Make sure you have write permissions to C: Users \ User \ AppData \ Local \ FiveM \ FiveM.app \ cache \ subprocess \ DefaultPreset. ini. " can you explain to me how do I make the message disappear? Thank you.

• Echon
More
3 years 8 months ago #7 by Echon Replied by Echon on topic HowTo: Uninstall Reshade
I had ReShade installed about 2 years ago on Minecraft. I feel like I've deleted every folder with anything to do with ReShade. I can go to the MinecraftLauncher.exe folder as much as I want and I can't find any of those folders. If anyone knows where they're located it would be a big help.

• Zaerin
More
3 years 2 months ago #8 by Zaerin Replied by Zaerin on topic HowTo: Uninstall Reshade
I've recently downloaded and installed a wholly new game on my system (Red Dead Redemption 2). I have NEVER used Reshade with this title, ever. There are no Reshade DLLs or Shaders in the game directory.

Yet EVERY time I boot RDR2 I get the "Reshade is now installed succesfully! Press Home to..." popup.

I don't want reshade to be running. This game crashes for me constantly and I have a suspicion that Reshade has something to do with it, as I've exhausted all other options. It even pops up when I run the game in DX12 mode, when supposedly I've only installed Reshade for Vulkan games. And yes, before anyone asks, I did run the installer again and unchecked the option that enables Reshade globally in all Vulkan games. But the message still pops up regardless of whether I boot RDR2 in Vulkan or in DX12 mode.

I used the 4.9.1 installer to get reshade working on CEMU for Breath of The Wild while using the Vulkan renderer. But that's been quite a while ago, and that's no reason for it to show in games that have absolutely nothing to do with my CEMU install.

It is absolutely bonkers that an installer can apparently place files in my system and no one seems to be aware of the fact that this is happening, and the installer program doesn't allow for an "uninstall" option. So now I'm stuck with this mess with no way to remove it.

I'd like to ask the creator of Reshade to include a full uninstall option in the installer, or at the very least to divulge what type of files the installer creates so they can be manually removed. Because apparently the "toggle on/off" button isn't working, and the installer isn't divulging any information on what changes it makes when you toggle options or install files.

Thanks in advance for the help!

• crosire
More
3 years 2 months ago #9 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic HowTo: Uninstall Reshade
Unticking the checkbox does a full uninstall (it deletes all files ReShade created in C:\ProgramData\ReShade + the relevant Vulkan layer registry keys), there is no other option to include. Latest ReShade setup also clearly warns you about what is happening before you can tick that checkbox on.
You can also open up "Log" tab in the UI and check the first log message. It will tell you where ReShade got loaded from ("Initializing [...] loaded from "<path>" [...]"). My guess is that you did in fact install ReShade multiple times (once globally, which was disabled again and once locally to RDR2) and have not uninstalled the local installation again.

• Froz3nShogun
More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #10 by Froz3nShogun Replied by Froz3nShogun on topic HowTo: Uninstall Reshade

Zaerin wrote: I've recently downloaded and installed a wholly new game on my system (Red Dead Redemption 2). I have NEVER used Reshade with this title, ever. There are no Reshade DLLs or Shaders in the game directory.

Yet EVERY time I boot RDR2 I get the "Reshade is now installed succesfully! Press Home to..." popup.

I don't want reshade to be running. This game crashes for me constantly and I have a suspicion that Reshade has something to do with it, as I've exhausted all other options. It even pops up when I run the game in DX12 mode, when supposedly I've only installed Reshade for Vulkan games. And yes, before anyone asks, I did run the installer again and unchecked the option that enables Reshade globally in all Vulkan games. But the message still pops up regardless of whether I boot RDR2 in Vulkan or in DX12 mode.

I used the 4.9.1 installer to get reshade working on CEMU for Breath of The Wild while using the Vulkan renderer. But that's been quite a while ago, and that's no reason for it to show in games that have absolutely nothing to do with my CEMU install.

It is absolutely bonkers that an installer can apparently place files in my system and no one seems to be aware of the fact that this is happening, and the installer program doesn't allow for an "uninstall" option. So now I'm stuck with this mess with no way to remove it.

I'd like to ask the creator of Reshade to include a full uninstall option in the installer, or at the very least to divulge what type of files the installer creates so they can be manually removed. Because apparently the "toggle on/off" button isn't working, and the installer isn't divulging any information on what changes it makes when you toggle options or install files.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I agree, I installed reshade to mess around with it on World of Warcraft : Classic. It dropped my frames so much and wasn't worth the time to adjust fliters to make it look good and all the community presets suck. 

That aside, You are right! I tried to uninstall by manually deleting all the directx DLL's it installed but that didn't work, Tried the "Uninstaller" that comes with reshade, nope ...

Funny thing is , It even shows " Reshade 4.0.2 " on every applcation that uses direct x ... 

Heres a screenshot of an application i use called ajour to update my addons which is in a complete diffrent drive than any of my reshade files :

[img

So i know for a fact reshade imbed's itself system-wide.... And I modify my nvidia driver's and update and remove video drivers alteast once every month so uninstalling my nvidia drivers and reinstalling them doesn't work either.

Maybe uninstalling direct X and reinstalling it? Ill write back after I give it a try.

*****EDIT*****
It's the vulkan counterpart of Reshade.. It is a system wide runtime which I knew might be the issue.

Okay, the soulution I found to work for me.

Download the latest Reshade Installer EXE , Right click it and " Apply to all users " then click run as administrator. Exit out of this tab.

Run reshade, click " Enable reshade in Vulkan Globally " , then select the game you installed reshade on originally or a random game.

Pick whatever direct x implementation the game uses and uncheck all shaders and hit ok and once you get to the " Edit Reshade Settings " Close the window.

Re Run Reshade Installer , UNSELECT " Enable reshade in Vulkan Globally " * This is our issue with reshade still enabled system wide after uninstalling * and go through the same previous steps in my guide. 

Select the same game you selected earlier and the same direct x method and uninstall again.

I know it doesn't make much sense to reinstall reshade eventhough it's obviously still in our system's but this is the onlyway I found to easily uninstall the vulken reshade runtime.

I hope this worked for all that come here in the future such as I did.

Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Froz3nShogun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FabulousFab

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.