Alien Isolation in-game Film Grain PP - bow to it

• MonarchX
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #1 by MonarchX Alien Isolation in-game Film Grain PP - bow to it was created by MonarchX
It oozes of supreme success. Check out how well it gets rid of banding and how FilmGrain + FilmGrain2 + DeBand + TriDither (all at default settings) fail to do the same. Is it possible to somehow reserve-engineer the post-processing shader the game uses?

In-game Film Grain disabled + all ReShade FX disabled:

FilmGrain + FilmGrain2 + DeBand + TriDither (all at default settings) + in-game Film Grain disabled:

In-game Film Grain enabled (about 33%) + all ReShade FX disabled:

The in-game Film Grain enabled + ReShade disabled image looks dirty, but only on static screenshots. In-game there is no dirt, there's just smooth gradation. Why can't FilmGrain + FilmGrain2 + DeBand + TriDither (all at default settings) together or by themselves achieve the same? Debanding can, but unlike AI's in-game Film Grain, it kills details. How can AI's Film Grain post-processing shader be extracted? It should be ported onto ReShade!
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by MonarchX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duran.te
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #2 by Duran.te Replied by Duran.te on topic Alien Isolation in-game Film Grain PP - bow to it
Reshade's Deband filter, by itself, can be very useful: it just needs to be adjusted properly.
Here you can see the comparison in Watch Dogs.
(click to enlarge)

Deband Off

Deband with default settings

Deband with tweaked settings

In this case I just did a fast tweak, but if you take your time you can get a nice looking banding-free effect without too much loss of details.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Duran.te.

• MonarchX
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #3 by MonarchX Replied by MonarchX on topic Alien Isolation in-game Film Grain PP - bow to it
I spent hours playing with Deband when making a ReShade preset for Resident Evil 2 Remake, but default setting or slightly stronger than default is as far as it went without reducing details. What worked best was a combination of shaders - Deband + TriDither + Film Grain + Film Grain 2. I know that madVR has this de-blocking that's supposed different than de-banding, but what it can do is apply different strengths of its "fade-in/out" time or not. I think it means that when the banding is in action/moving/fading in/out, it can be set (and is recommended) to de-band at higher strength, but when banding is static/not moving, a lowere-strength setting is applied. Can something similar be integrated into Deband?

AI is perfect for debanding, dithering, film grain and similar experimentation. Without it's native film grain, Alien Isolation is a banding-galore situation, you can/find it everywhere, even if you enable 10/12bit color option and play the game on 10/12bit display.

Its probably impossible to port AI's film grain because its a game-specific feature, but notice how it doesn't even look like film grain on my shot. It looks like a mix of blotchy marks with some grain when its static/still, but in action it looks like nothing like it. In action/movement it looks like film grain/dithering that eradicates banding, even at low values of 30% of so.

• Duran.te
More
5 years 2 months ago #4 by Duran.te Replied by Duran.te on topic Alien Isolation in-game Film Grain PP - bow to it
In this case, since current shaders can't get to achieve this result, the only thing I can suggest you is to open a new topic in "Requests & Ideas" section and ask for this specific implementation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.