Why not use symbolic links?

• Chaython
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #1 by Chaython Why not use symbolic links? was created by Chaython
Why not use symbolic links? Rather than having Reshade files in every game folder? Should make updating shaders/ reshade much easier as you can do it in bulk rather than per game... Also makes adding custom shaders much easier... Reshade d3d9.dll with all default shaders is 10.8 MB (11,390,976 bytes). I have 785 games installed. So having reshade on symbolic link rather than per game would save me ~8.4gb....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Why not use symbolic links?
Nothing stops you from using links. It is unnecessary because ReShade uses the concept of search paths though. Just put your shaders in one place and edit the search paths in the settings to point to that place.
The default installs shaders to every game because that is what people are used to, but it is in no way a requirement for ReShade. You can organize it however you want.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by crosire.

• seri14
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #3 by seri14 Replied by seri14 on topic Why not use symbolic links?
It seems works for me, but I am wondering because I guess it was not tested.

Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by seri14.

• Chaython
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #4 by Chaython Replied by Chaython on topic Why not use symbolic links?
I wish there was context menu support and I could just right click to add a reshade symbolic link, can you write me a script ^-^

• Martigen
More
4 years 11 months ago #5 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic Why not use symbolic links?

Chaython wrote: I wish there was context menu support and I could just right click to add a reshade symbolic link, can you write me a script ^-^

You don't need symbolic links. Just set up Reshade with relative paths, as Crosire explained above. I have a quick guide/post on this here:

reshade.me/forum/releases/4380-3-4?start=80#29566

• Chaython
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #6 by Chaython Replied by Chaython on topic Why not use symbolic links?
symbolic link = 0 bytes
in your case still need a DLL / game
2.2mb x 1236 games = 1.359GB

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.