Question about render api selection.

• Nehvar
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 days ago #1 by Nehvar Question about render api selection. was created by Nehvar
I installed the OpenGL version of ReShade on a couple games a while back not knowing, at the time, what render api the games used. ReShade functioned in both instances but I later found out that the games use DX11. So I deleted everything OpenGL ReShade from the game dir and reinstalled with D3D10+ selected...and it worked...with no detectable difference from the OpenGL install. I now have a couple questions.

1.) Does the installer auto-detect the best render api option for games that are not already on the compatibility list?
2.) In a situation where both the DX11 and OpenGL versions of ReShade work with a game, which is best to use?

Thanks in advance for any answers that you can provide.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AssassinsDecree

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
5 years 2 days ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Question about render api selection.
ReShade is designed in a way that allows having support for all render APIs in a single DLL. The only thing necessary for ReShade to work is for the game to load that DLL somehow and the easiest way to do that is to have ReShade to prentend being the DX/OGL driver by installing it as "d3d9.dll"/"dxgi.dll"/"opengl32.dll" in the gane directory. The game will think this is the driver, load it and ReShade is able to do its magic. But most DX games will obviously only load DirectX and not OpenGL, so you have to decide how to name the ReShade DLL for each game individually (depending on what API it uses, which determines which DLL it will load). That is what you do when you select the API in the setup tool. The installed DLL is the same, the only thing that differs is how it is renamed (to one of the three names mentioned above).

The setup will attempt to detect which API the game loads. This is not necessarily correct, it is just a hint that most likely will work. There is no need to change it if it works, the end result will be the same regardless. As such, choose the one that works, there is no "better" option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AssassinsDecree

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.