Radeon Image Sharpening equivalent?

• colesdav
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #1 by colesdav Radeon Image Sharpening equivalent? was created by colesdav
Hello,

I run a RX Vega 64 Liquid GPU.
I would like to run games at 2K and then use GPU upscaling on a new 4K monitor.
However the image quality is not that great on a 4K monitor when I run at 2K and then upscale.
I see the new RX5700XT cards from AMD will support "Image Sharpening" which looks like it allow the user to run a game at 2K, sharpen the image, and then allow use of GPU upscaling to 4K resolution.

It uses a "Contrast Adaptive Sharpening" algorithm.
My guess is this algorithm will attempt to identify edges in an image at 2K and then make those edges thinner before the image is upscaled to 4K?

Does anyone have any advice if it is possible to achieve a similar result to Radeon Image Sharpening using
Reshade and which sharpening filter I should try? I am running Adrenalin 19.6.2 on my GPU's.

Here is an article about the new feature in RX5700/XT GPU from AMD:
www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-rade...ray-tracing-e3-2019/

Thanks.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by colesdav.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BlueSkyKnight
More
4 years 9 months ago #2 by BlueSkyKnight Replied by BlueSkyKnight on topic Radeon Image Sharpening equivalent?
"Contrast Adaptive Sharpening" algorithm can be added to any sharpening shader we have here. It basically looks for areas in the image that already has High Contrasts and does not shapen that area.

I even added it to my sharpening shaders. I thought it was a good idea.

Pay attention to the areas of high contrast like the Tv's speaker grill.

CA Off

CA On

I think the difference is where they inject the sharpening. I speculate it is done after the GPU Has already done it's scaling. Whereas ReShade will do this before so, in the end, it will not look the same.

But, ReShade shader repository already amazing shapen shaders that will help anyways.
The following user(s) said Thank You: colesdav

• colesdav
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #3 by colesdav Replied by colesdav on topic Radeon Image Sharpening equivalent?
Thank you for replying.
I will try out your sharpening shaders "contrast aware" option on a few new AAA titles.

RE: I think the difference is where they inject the sharpening. I speculate it is done after the GPU Has already done it's scaling. Whereas ReShade will do this before so, in the end, it will not look the same.

According to this:

(Please go to 5:03 /16:04 on the video if the link at time=303 does not work on your browser).

AMD run the Contrast Adaptive Sharpening before image upscaling.
So in the demo in the video, render at 2K, sharpen the image (I guess to make any edges / outlines look sharper (and maybe thinner?) before upscaling to 4K.
I think they are using a new GPU Upscaling feature due in a new release of Adrenalin Drivers called "GPU Integer scaling support" mentioned here: www.feedback.amd.com/se/5A1E27D211FADB79/lang/en-us

I think there is a discussion about that "GPU Integer scaling support" feature here:
www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/55hb0u/let...eighbor_gpu_scaling/

So it seems to me that I should be able to a achieve similar effect to Radeon Image Sharpening on the RX5700XT on my RX Vega 64 Liquid GPU using Reshade and your filters. That will depend on the new "GPU Integer scaling support" feature being implemented for RX Vega 64 GPUs in future Adrenalin 2019 Driver.

Thank you again for responding to my question.
I really appreciate your help and advice.
Bye.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by colesdav.

• colesdav
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago #4 by colesdav Replied by colesdav on topic Radeon Image Sharpening equivalent?
Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks.

I tested Smart_Sharp.fx and compared it to "Radeon Image Sharpening (CAS.fx) here:

I prefer your sharpening algorithm.

Bye.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.