where is complete explanation of effects ?

• empleat
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #1 by empleat where is complete explanation of effects ? was created by empleat
I don't know what and how to set up to make game look good. I know there are some presets available, but that requires sweetfx yet and i don't like any for game i am playing currently. I was trying some effects, which are supposed to be good. Not bad so far, but i don't know what to change to get desired results and there is much settings, which doesn't do much like: dof - games already has it, vibrance and colorfullness, which are basically the same etc. Problem is to know what to change and what it exactly does and googling sepratedlly effects and finding some scraps of what it does it exhausting. I visited reshade sites in past and never find complete list of effect and thorough explanation, if it exists.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by empleat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Faustus86
More
4 years 5 months ago #2 by Faustus86 Replied by Faustus86 on topic where is complete explanation of effects ?
The simple answer to your request is experience.
There is no such thing as a tutorial that explains every single effect and straight up tell's you wich one you have to use. This is not how reshade or the community behind it work's. There is a ton of different games and a lot of different effect's that can look absolutely gorgeous is one title and utterly obsolete in another. Not to mention the individual taste of every single person. Individual customization for your personal taste ... yeah, good luck writing a tutorial for that.

What you can do is to scan the Nexus for ReShade preset's and use them on other games. But it is very likely that you have to re-adjust many values.

For the start, just use your eye's and see what each individual shader does and if you like it or not.
Not being willing to do this in the first place is not the best start to go on this professionally but i would start with color grading. If the games color's are fine to you go ahead with the curve's and the tone mapping. This adjust the overall contrast and brightness. After this go thru the sharpening shader's and look for whatever suit's you best. Personally i prefer CAS.fx for most preset's but other sharpening method's have their own advantages as well. At last you can add effect's shader's like bloom or DOF. With color grading, curves and tonemapping in place you don't run into the issue that you use effect's like bloom just to make your game brighter. So you can work here a little more decent without ending with a smudgy image. Unless that's the look you go for that is.

There is also a ton of other effect's i wont go into detail. There are also some multi-purpose shader's as well but the essential's are above.

• lordbean
More
4 years 5 months ago #3 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic where is complete explanation of effects ?

Faustus86 wrote: The simple answer to your request is experience.
There is no such thing as a tutorial that explains every single effect and straight up tell's you wich one you have to use. This is not how reshade or the community behind it work's. There is a ton of different games and a lot of different effect's that can look absolutely gorgeous is one title and utterly obsolete in another. Not to mention the individual taste of every single person. Individual customization for your personal taste ... yeah, good luck writing a tutorial for that.

What you can do is to scan the Nexus for ReShade preset's and use them on other games. But it is very likely that you have to re-adjust many values.

For the start, just use your eye's and see what each individual shader does and if you like it or not.
Not being willing to do this in the first place is not the best start to go on this professionally but i would start with color grading. If the games color's are fine to you go ahead with the curve's and the tone mapping. This adjust the overall contrast and brightness. After this go thru the sharpening shader's and look for whatever suit's you best. Personally i prefer CAS.fx for most preset's but other sharpening method's have their own advantages as well. At last you can add effect's shader's like bloom or DOF. With color grading, curves and tonemapping in place you don't run into the issue that you use effect's like bloom just to make your game brighter. So you can work here a little more decent without ending with a smudgy image. Unless that's the look you go for that is.

There is also a ton of other effect's i wont go into detail. There are also some multi-purpose shader's as well but the essential's are above.

To expand a bit on this, I find that presets are often portable between games using the same engine once you find a set you like (examples: Dishonored 2 / Death of the Outsider, Far Cry 5 / Far Cry New Dawn, Far Cry 4 / Far Cry Primal), but it's still a matter of personal taste getting the shaders configured to a way you think looks good.

Finding out what the shaders do is actually not too hard, the shader names are very accurate to what they do, so you generally only need to google the name of the shader and read up on what the technique does (example: google "image debanding" if curious what Deband.fx does).

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.