Enabling Shader by holding button

4 months 2 weeks ago #1 by demolisher
There is option to toggle shader by pressing picked button, but is it possible to enable shader when you hold certain button and disable when it's unclicked?
Example: Game with TAA is blurrier in motion, so when you press movement key, it enables sharpen effect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 2 weeks ago #2 by crosire
It's possible, but only in shader code. It cannot be done from the GUI.

Example of a modification to LumaSharpen to make this work:
uniform bool movement_key_down < source = "key"; keycode = 80; >; // Get keycode from e.g. https://keycode.info, in this case it is "W"
float3 LumaSharpenPass(float4 position : SV_Position, float2 tex : TEXCOORD) : SV_Target
{
    float3 ori = tex2D(ReShade::BackBuffer, tex).rgb; // ori = original pixel

// Add the following so effect is not applied while the key is not down:
    if (!movement_key_down)
        return ori;
}
The following user(s) said Thank You: demolisher

4 months 2 weeks ago #3 by demolisher
Thanks, this works. Honestly, this is even better since you can tweak specific values by holding button.

4 months 1 week ago #4 by brussell
Unfortunately this became far less convenient with the keypress timeout you introduced recently, crosire. Would you consider giving us the possibility to override the default 5 seconds with a pragma or sth ?

4 months 1 week ago #5 by crosire
I don't see why. The OS will resend the key down event repeatedly after about one second, so the timeout is never triggered when you keep holding down the key (and yes, I verified that this works).

4 months 1 week ago #6 by brussell

crosire wrote: I don't see why. The OS will resend the key down event repeatedly after about one second, so the timeout is never triggered when you keep holding down the key (and yes, I verified that this works).

Well, for me it only works if I hold ONLY the specified key (in your example W). If I press some other key while holding down W, reshade doesn't recognise the keypress anymore after short time (the 5 second intervall I guess).
Since one rarely presses only one key, this clearly doesn't work as intended (and it shouldn't work conveniently for the op's case either).
I'm using windows 7 x64 by the way.
Could it be related to keyboard ghosting or sth?