How can I force Reshade to output an HDR signal?

• aaronth07
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 week ago #1 by aaronth07 How can I force Reshade to output an HDR signal? was created by aaronth07
It already outputs HDR with an HDR input, is there a way to use Reshade to force an HDR output, but with an SDR input? And yes I am aware that the data still is not there, but it could be useful for many things, including just reverse tone mapping SDR to an HDR luminance range.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tojkar
More
4 years 1 week ago #2 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic How can I force Reshade to output an HDR signal?
Even if ReShade had any capabilities to process HDR signal, you have no way of "reverse tonemapping" SDR since the information is already lost. In theory you could be able to stretch the histogram wider, but it would not actually change the picture at all, giving you absolutely zero benefits.

• Martigen
More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #3 by Martigen Replied by Martigen on topic How can I force Reshade to output an HDR signal?

Tojkar wrote: Even if ReShade had any capabilities to process HDR signal, you have no way of "reverse tonemapping" SDR since the information is already lost. In theory you could be able to stretch the histogram wider, but it would not actually change the picture at all, giving you absolutely zero benefits.

Mmm, maybe not :)

aaronth07 -- check out SpecialK, the latest version is adding SDR->HDR to a lot of games.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2040175626

Check recent posts for links:
steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/...3570700856110421443/
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Martigen.

• Tojkar
More
4 years 1 week ago #4 by Tojkar Replied by Tojkar on topic How can I force Reshade to output an HDR signal?

Martigen wrote: Mmm, maybe not :)

Thanks for pointing out. Learnin new and upgrading old never stops.

• aaronth07
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 week ago #5 by aaronth07 Replied by aaronth07 on topic How can I force Reshade to output an HDR signal?
Crosire and some others have already explained why this unfortunately is not possible with Reshade, since it sends the backbuffer back to the game.

• aaronth07
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 week ago #6 by aaronth07 Replied by aaronth07 on topic How can I force Reshade to output an HDR signal?

Martigen wrote:

Tojkar wrote: Even if ReShade had any capabilities to process HDR signal, you have no way of "reverse tonemapping" SDR since the information is already lost. In theory you could be able to stretch the histogram wider, but it would not actually change the picture at all, giving you absolutely zero benefits.

Mmm, maybe not :)

aaronth07 -- check out SpecialK, the latest version is adding SDR->HDR to a lot of games.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2040175626

Check recent posts for links:
steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/...3570700856110421443/

Unfortunately it doesn't work with most games.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.