Hi, I found a guy in YouTube who claims that TAA is possible with reshade

• Gonzito
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #1 by Gonzito Hi, I found a guy in YouTube who claims that TAA is possible with reshade was created by Gonzito
Hi guys, I just joined to this website to ask you about this finding. I was looking to get better AA with reshade and found this video. Apparently he, and others have created a TAA shader. I remember reading a long time ago that TAA wasn't possible with reshade.

This is the video and the shader is there. Is this true or is fake?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lowenz
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #2 by lowenz Replied by lowenz on topic Hi, I found a guy in YouTube who claims that TAA is possible with reshade
You can find the answer in the description

"TAA needs motion vectors to keep track of objects moving throughout the frames so it can blend them correcty. Unfortunately those motion vectors can only be revealed by Rockstar themselves, whom I believe would never care. So TAA without motion vectors acts as a "pixel based motion blur" with Reshade. Luckily, even that helps a lot."
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by lowenz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: canceralp

• canceralp
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #3 by canceralp Replied by canceralp on topic Hi, I found a guy in YouTube who claims that TAA is possible with reshade
[The page thinks my post is too long so it's a spam. So, I'll put it here in 3 parts]

Hey, that's my video. Just like lowenz said, it's not a fully-working TAA. The code belongs to Unreal Engine's latest TAA, though. BlueSkyDefender made the code available for Reshade and made his own improvements. I believe he made it usable in Reshade because he believed one day a game would expose it's motion vectors so we could use TAA easily. Alien Isolation is one lucky game, someone was able to reveal it's motion vectors. After that, applying TAA was super easy and the game got a real facelift.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by canceralp.

• canceralp
More
3 years 8 months ago #4 by canceralp Replied by canceralp on topic Hi, I found a guy in YouTube who claims that TAA is possible with reshade
I gave it a shot in GTA V for a couple reasons:
1) In Assassin's Creed 4, they forgot to extract motion vectors for clothes and the grass, yet TXAA was working good enough.
2) In Crysis 3, grass was also forgotten for SMAA Tx2, but the overall result was good enough.
3) When TAA is used on an object without motion vectors it does two things: a) it acts like a motion blur, b) it acts like a sub-pixel removal. So basically it acts like a filter to eliminate super tiny details. In a scenerio where these super tiny details are actually rendering artifacts, this is a good thing.

• canceralp
More
3 years 8 months ago #5 by canceralp Replied by canceralp on topic Hi, I found a guy in YouTube who claims that TAA is possible with reshade
GTA V uses a terrible rendering engine. It has negative LOD values crazy high. That results in lots of unwanted pixels. The developers wanted to force TXAA, and wanted to make other solutions look bad back in the day by forcing negative LOD in the whole game. Negative LOD gives sharp results in big and close-to-screen objects. However, if an object is small or far away from the camera, then what inegative LOD does is simply forcing tiny little details to be drawn on top of each other. Imagine trying to squeeze a full size flower picture into 30 pixel area. Some details will have to be lost but negative LOD will try to draw them forcibly on top of each other. When the camera moves, this will create inconsistency between frames. The flower will be drawn very differently in every frame and our eyes will see it pixel flickering/shimmering.

This squeezed data is called sub-pixel artifacts. In a normal scenerio, those details wouldn't be drawn and there would be no artifacts, because those details would be too small (sub-pixel sized) for a 30 pixel area thus would be eliminated by the renderer.

3 things eliminate these sub-pixel artifacts:
1) increasing the resolution.
2) FXAA by adding sub-pixel blurriness.
3) TAA (with or without motion vectors) because it checks neighbours pixels to understand if a pixel is relevant.

So I combined those 3 in my video. TAA creates a motion blur-like ghosting but it blends well with higher resolutions and helps a lot with pixel flickering. I do hope one day some modder will expose GTA V's motion vectors and Reshade or ENB will harvest them to be used properly with TAA. Hopefully before everyone in planet Earth finishes the story mode :)

• Deadfyre
More
3 years 5 months ago #6 by Deadfyre Replied by Deadfyre on topic Hi, I found a guy in YouTube who claims that TAA is possible with reshade
taa in reshade is an excellent shader for taking screen shots of water. it's an ideal thing for wave smoothing, provided your fps is 35 or 40 with taa active. since it operates on a more data is better scenario, using taa with low frame rates will hurt the end render.

you can tone the motion blur down some what to make it usable, but this actually adds to the noise it renders. how ever, if you run a really tight smaa fx at the tail end of your shader set, it can more than make up by removing the noise with its own aa

how ever, you'll be tuning it to the .006 margin

• knowom
More
3 years 3 months ago #7 by knowom Replied by knowom on topic Hi, I found a guy in YouTube who claims that TAA is possible with reshade
Negative LOD bias value set aggressively with high anistropic filtering exaggerates superellipse artifacts. For every -.375 to -0.1875 negative LOD bias value I suggest reducing AF by x1 ideally at -3.0 LOD bias I only use x2 AF personally since more objectively looks worse in practice. If the shimmer bothers forcing MFAA is your friend.

I'd like to add that certain post process techniques reduce shimmer a fair amount as well. If I'm not mistaken HQ4X helps quite a bit with it.

• canceralp
More
3 years 3 months ago #8 by canceralp Replied by canceralp on topic Hi, I found a guy in YouTube who claims that TAA is possible with reshade
The problem is, only certain Nvidia users have control over those features. They can clamp LOD, use MFAA, force driver AF and even use old school SSAA in GTA V. The game is compiled with Nvidia specific codes and many Nvidia driver features are working.

In AMD world, the most sold game of the history is completely out of control, unfortunately.

• cengizsur
More
2 years 3 months ago #9 by cengizsur Replied by cengizsur on topic Hi, I found a guy in YouTube who claims that TAA is possible with reshade
helped me with most aliasing issues and almost all of shimmering issues! Thanks! mcdvoice con tellculvers.com survey

• Daemonjax
More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #10 by Daemonjax Replied by Daemonjax on topic Hi, I found a guy in YouTube who claims that TAA is possible with reshade
Since someone else already necro'd this, I figured I'd pile it on and mention that some games (State of Decay 2 for example, since I'm currently playing it) have a really weird "strobing" effect on their depth buffer... and the only way to make depth buffer effect not look like complete shit is to implement something like TAA for it (like GloomAO does).
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Daemonjax.

• sardigarmi44
More
1 year 11 months ago #11 by sardigarmi44 Replied by sardigarmi44 on topic Hi, I found a guy in YouTube who claims that TAA is possible with reshade
I'd like to add that certain post process techniques reduce shimmer a fair amount as well. If I'm not mistaken HQ4X helps quite a bit with it.

• sardigarmi44
More
1 year 11 months ago #12 by sardigarmi44 Replied by sardigarmi44 on topic Hi, I found a guy in YouTube who claims that TAA is possible with reshade
I'm currently playing it) have a really weird "strobing" effect on their depth buffer...

mobdro apk

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.