People selling Reshade presets with RT

• Bubuyaka
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 8 months ago #1 by Bubuyaka People selling Reshade presets with RT was created by Bubuyaka
People selling Reshade presets for 5$ to 12$ (Ray Tracing version) via patreon now?. Is this even legal and approved by Crosire? 

www.patreon.com/DubstepZz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lordbean
More
2 years 8 months ago #2 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic People selling Reshade presets with RT
The way Patreon works, he's not actually selling the presets. He's asking you to donate money to him, and in exchange, he will give you access to the presets he's working on. It doesn't sound much different, but in the eyes of the law it's very much not the same thing.

Whether it's ethical for him to be doing it? Dealer's call.

• crosire
More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #3 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic People selling Reshade presets with RT

He's asking you to donate money to him, and in exchange, he will give you access to the presets he's working on. It doesn't sound much different, but in the eyes of the law it's very much not the same thing.

In most countries that does count as a transaction, rather than a donation (since you are getting something material in return for paying). So it is the same really. You'll notice Patreon purposefully does not use the term donation anywhere.
Do I approve? Not really. The time and work spent by all the shader authors to write their shaders and by myself to make ReShade is considerably higher than the effort needed to create a preset, so I don't consider it particularly fair to build upon all that work from others and still take money without giving back. But yeah, it's still perfectively legal (ReShade is permissively licensed after all and does not restrict usage in any way).
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by crosire.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.