Some concerns about ReShade 5.0 extended functionality.

• NotSoSweet
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #1 by NotSoSweet Some concerns about ReShade 5.0 extended functionality. was created by NotSoSweet
I saw this reddit post about ReShade 5.0 development and it gave me some concerns...

Currently ReShade is widely accepted by game devs and/or anti-cheat vendors i.e. they do not actively block it or even approve it.

But if ReShade 5.0 is no longer just (an extended) a post-processing filter but shader and especially texture replacer (or who knows what can else addons do? replace models?)... Then could this lead to a stricter policy towards it, especially in online games?

I don't want ReShade to become mostly related to single-player games if something like Easy Anti-Cheat (EAC) or XIGNCODE3 will start to consider it as hostile entity and will go against it, like BattlEye is doing already...

Any thoughts?
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by NotSoSweet. Reason: spell checking

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
2 years 5 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Some concerns about ReShade 5.0 extended functionality.
I had put a lot of thought into this and my current solution, which I believe addresses potential concerns, is as follows.
The official, signed, ReShade 5 will not load add-ons itself. It still exposes the add-on API to add-ons already inside the game process, but you need some other means of actually loading add-ons into that (injector, ASI loader, ...). This should make it fairly trivial to detect for anti-cheat tools, since that is how cheats need to be loaded as well and thus they are monitoring that anyway (technically they should do that for stuff ReShade loads too, but better safe than sorry).
In addition, ReShade completely disables its add-on capabilities when it detects network traffic (similar to how that currently works for depth buffer access). Any loaded add-ons will no longer receive event callbacks as long as network traffic occurs and thus cannot modify the render pipeline while that is the case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlucardDH

• MonarchX
More
2 years 4 months ago #3 by MonarchX Replied by MonarchX on topic Some concerns about ReShade 5.0 extended functionality.
BattleEye already blocks ReShade newer than 4.2.1. I wouldn't want ReShade development to prioritize compatibility with Anti-Cheating software over other great features it can offer.

A bit off-topic, but how can I disable ReShade update checks and stop it from using the internet? It injects itself into games and blocking ReShade DLL files in Windows Firewall has no effect.

• lordbean
More
2 years 4 months ago #4 by lordbean Replied by lordbean on topic Some concerns about ReShade 5.0 extended functionality.
You'd need to block the game's executable from accessing the internet since the game is technically the executable that spawned the network traffic from the OS' point of view. This could clearly have other downsides though.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.