Fake sub surface scattering?

• GrijzePilion
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #1 by GrijzePilion Fake sub surface scattering? was created by GrijzePilion
Is there any way to give certain reddish tones a slight glowing effect to create the impression of SSS? I'm trying this on a pretty old (albeit heavily modded) game, The Sims 3, where the colour palette is not entirely realistic. But if it were also possible to only apply the effect to objects close to the camera, I bet there wouldn't be much of a problem.

Speaking of which, what's an easy way to change certain specific colour tones instead of whole channels at once?
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by GrijzePilion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 5 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Fake sub surface scattering?
I have already tried that, it's not looking good, trust me.

• GrijzePilion
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #3 by GrijzePilion Replied by GrijzePilion on topic Fake sub surface scattering?
Not even when subtle? Subtlety is king. Like 95% of ReShade presets I see aren't subtle enough for me - and even some of the filters are too strong for me. What about bloom strength that can be configured per color channel + a threshold setting?
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by GrijzePilion.

• Marty McFly
More
7 years 5 months ago #4 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Fake sub surface scattering?

GrijzePilion wrote: Not even when subtle? Subtlety is king. Like 95% of ReShade presets I see aren't subtle enough for me - and even some of the filters are too strong for me. What about bloom strength that can be configured per color channel + a threshold setting?

To quote Boris Vorontsov: you should trust my expertise a bit more.

About bloom: adjusting the intensity of different channels is basically tinting bloom. And threw holding is generally bad, much better is smooth levels adjustment that applies on luma only. Even better is no thresholding at all, but we're on LDR so that won't work.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.