Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Question: SMAA explained?

Question: SMAA explained? 1 year 8 months ago #1

Hi guys,

Could someone point me out the related tutorial for the settings for SMAA please? Can't find it on the forum. Just don't understand the numbers on the config, I mean I don't really see difference when I change them so I can't really figure out how they relate to each other, etc.
Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Question: SMAA explained? 1 year 8 months ago #2

I think you might need to reload the shader after switching the number (There's a button for that in the ReShade GUI too.) but yeah the only way I can really see a difference now that we can directly compare within the game is to use the depth-buffer debug settings that the SMAA shader has.
(Meaning you likely don't really need very high values for samples and that edge thing though corner rounding even at low values do affect UI elements pretty noticeably making text and the like very smudged or how to say.)

Question: SMAA explained? 1 year 8 months ago #3

I honestly don't see any difference. I change the numbers drastically, to minimum or maximum and no change. I'm looking at a line in game (example Warframe) and it doesn't get uglier nor nicer looking. Is this working at all?

Question: SMAA explained? 1 year 8 months ago #4

I can't say for sure since I don't understand the underlying shader file and it's code all too well but yeah toggling the shader off by unticking it's check-box certainly shows more aliasing but as far as the settings go even using the minimum supported values shows no noticeable difference over using the highest supported values.
(Can't say anything about performance changes either, enabling or disabling SMAA doesn't really change overall framerate in the games I've tested it with.)

Question: SMAA explained? 1 year 8 months ago #5

H0PE wrote:
I honestly don't see any difference. I change the numbers drastically, to minimum or maximum and no change. I'm looking at a line in game (example Warframe) and it doesn't get uglier nor nicer looking. Is this working at all?
its not very effective imo vs just using driver fxaa in my experience actually looks better and less blurry then injected post aa current smaa seems to mess with a lot of games idk if its fully working correctly