Forcing a color palette?

• Super Suit 12
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #1 by Super Suit 12 Forcing a color palette? was created by Super Suit 12
I updated my version of reshade a while ago, and I don't see TuningPalette for the latest version.
I tried using the LUT shader and just using Aseprite to force the LUT.png file to use only the colors in the palette, and while this does something similar to what I want, it does this to gradients:

Upper is what it looks like ingame, lower is the same screenshot with the palette forced on it by Aseprite.
There's only one shade of grey in the palette, but as the color gets darker it starts to mix the colors.
Is there any good alternative to TuningPalette for this version, or is it updated and I just failed to find it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Super Suit 12
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #2 by Super Suit 12 Replied by Super Suit 12 on topic Forcing a color palette?
ok for about the past hour and a half, i've been trying to get a LUT file that's got an exact color for every color... But if I put the tile number over a certain amount, it starts getting an error "2147942487" somewhere between 64 and 128.

• FierySwordswoman
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #3 by FierySwordswoman Replied by FierySwordswoman on topic Forcing a color palette?
uh

Just use GIMP or Photoshop or something to convert the png from RGB to Indexed.

LUT only using colors from the Solarized (link) color palette
Warning: Spoiler!

EDIT: Why are links the same color as plain text in this forum? And why can you not even color them manually...
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by FierySwordswoman.

• Super Suit 12
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #4 by Super Suit 12 Replied by Super Suit 12 on topic Forcing a color palette?
Ah, thanks! Odd that Aseprite wouldn't save it as indexed when it's set to indexed color mode.

• Super Suit 12
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #5 by Super Suit 12 Replied by Super Suit 12 on topic Forcing a color palette?
Bump. Probably should've actually tested what you said, but I lost interest in the game (I have an attention span of about five seconds :P )
Did what you said to index it through GIMP with only black and white, but I'm still getting some shades of grey inbetween.

EDIT: Looking at the Nostalgia shader, it seems like it would be a better idea to write some sort of program to pull colors out of an image and write up a new version of Nostalgia for each palette I want to use (this would also allow me to simply enable a different shader from my list, rather than swapping files around, and probably be faster anyways)
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Super Suit 12.

• matsilagi
More
6 years 1 month ago #6 by matsilagi Replied by matsilagi on topic Forcing a color palette?
What you need to do aside from using a palette, is to reduce the colors the game can reproduce.

What most classic games (and probably aseprite) does is tweak the image to only load 256 colors from a palette (reduce the channel to 8 bit then apply the palette)

• greenhand
More
5 years 9 months ago #7 by greenhand Replied by greenhand on topic Forcing a color palette?
I modified this version of the Nostalgia shader to fit the palette from Doom.
Enjoy!

Warning: Spoiler!

• minion4ever
More
1 year 10 months ago #8 by minion4ever Replied by minion4ever on topic Forcing a color palette?
Try using Photoshop to convert png to RGB, I think it will help. I also advise you to use the service<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--> create.vista.com/colors/palettes/peach/ to search for color palettes. There are a huge number of different types here, suitable for various tasks related to graphic design.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.