Bloom.fx and AnamFlare

• LeeThompson
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #1 by LeeThompson Bloom.fx and AnamFlare was created by LeeThompson
I was working on updating some profiles and I noticed that AnamFlame is NOT obeying fAnamFlareThreshold. In fact, you can change fAnamFlareThreshold to pretty much any number you want and there will not be any differences in what happens. The other variables do things but not that one. (Also there really should be an intensity variable as well.)

I haven't ever seen ReShade 3.x's AnamFlare work. I used to use Ganossa's all the time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
6 years 2 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Bloom.fx and AnamFlare
Bloom and anamflare haven't seen any updates since ReShade 2.0 migration, I've been wanting to rewrite it for quite a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Koubarov

• Koubarov
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #3 by Koubarov Replied by Koubarov on topic Bloom.fx and AnamFlare
Marty first of all thanks for all the great fx you’ ve added to ReShade.

Since you are in a process of rewriting / evaluating Bloom I would like to ask if it’s possible to somehow tame the flare effects with a parameter other than threshold and intensity.

I've been experimenting with Godrays on Borderlands and generally I am pretty satisfied with the result with minor annoyances like the effect triggering on various small UI parts at times or on rather odd moments.

I wonder if there could be a parameter like say a radius above from which the effect would trigger. Like bright constant areas with bigger radius that the setting would get the flare but smaller than the setting bright areas will not get the flare.

What I am trying to say is that with this radius parameter, big bright objects like say the sun on a game would get the effect but small bright objects like say a white dot in a dark map would not.

Of course I don’t know if this kind of prediction is possible in ReShade or if it needs information that just isn’t there.

The logic is that somehow the shader could make a distinction between constant larger bright areas (a big white light) and smaller ones (the tip of shiny metal gun in a dark environment).
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Koubarov.

• Marty McFly
More
6 years 1 month ago #4 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Bloom.fx and AnamFlare
Something exactly like this isn't possible but what is possible to use a lower resolution image as source for the flare - so very tiny details will lost in the process. I have to tangle this with the full resolution image somehow as just plainly using a lower resolution image as base for the (horizontally blurred) anamorphic flare will make it inconsistent and muddy, and I personally like them sharp and precise. It's all down to personal choice however.

The biggest problem when creating anamorphic flares is that they basically need the same processing as bloom - they are bloom, so to speak, just only horizontally blurred and not bilateral. But running the bloom blur sequence twice would be highly inefficient - in the [strike]ancient[/strike] old bloom code I put anamflares in alpha channel of bloom and made them skip the vertical blur part. But in this case I need a blurred image before I can start creating the flares - which I only get after the bloom...there isn't a single good way of doing this, hence I am quite hesitant to do something about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Koubarov

• Koubarov
More
6 years 1 month ago - 5 years 11 months ago #5 by Koubarov Replied by Koubarov on topic Bloom.fx and AnamFlare
Thanks for the reply Marty.

The lower resolution image seems like a good idea to stop triggering the effect from tiny details but as you said there are technicalities.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Koubarov.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.