Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?

• brother_david
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 weeks ago - 6 years 4 weeks ago #1 by brother_david BeamNG Reflective Bump Mapping Fresnel was created by brother_david
Ive been playing with Reshade presets a while now though i barely know what im doing. Impressed by what Reshade and the community built shaders can do!
BeamNG lacks fresnel so the paint looks kind of dull. Im using RBM to try and get a fresnel look. So far its working quite well but im having a few issues.

To stop RBM from giving everything no matter depth a reflection ive set the preprocessor RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE=50 instead of the default 1000.
This however effects other shaders such as MXAO and DOF. Im not good at all with coding but looking at the RBM code i kind of get what some of it does. Is there a way to set the RBM depth to a fixed 50, or adjustable depth for that matter, in the code, instead of it reading RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE?

Also, if a vehicle has a paint color other than greyscale, the fresnel effect gets toned the opposite color, if a car is yellow then the fresnel has a blue'ish tone, if the car is red then the fresnel gets a green tone. Is there a way to bring the tone down ord esaturate it completely (other than the existing color settings which removes the effect instead)?

Theres a few other small issues but these are my main concern atm :)

My Reshade preset with fresnel:
https://beamng.com/attachments/screenshot_00097-png.393600/

Without:
https://beamng.com/attachments/screenshot_00097-png.393601/
Last edit: 6 years 4 weeks ago by brother_david.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brother_david
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 weeks ago #2 by brother_david Replied by brother_david on topic BeamNG Reflective Bump Mapping Fresnel
Maybe a dirty fix would be to change this row:

float EyeDepth = GetLinearDepth(coords.xy)*RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE;

To:

float EyeDepth = GetLinearDepth(coords.xy)*(RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE*0.2);

What do you think?

• brother_david
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 weeks ago #3 by brother_david Replied by brother_david on topic BeamNG Reflective Bump Mapping Fresnel
The weird coloring of the fresnel effect is gone, my fault it was there.

I tried changing theline above to acouple of different version but none seemed to make any difference. Kind of stuck on how to make RBM use a individual _FAR_PLANE instead of changing the whole Reshade one.

• brother_david
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 weeks ago - 6 years 4 weeks ago #4 by brother_david Replied by brother_david on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?
Ive lately been trying to add a Fresnel effect in Beamng, using RBM (Reflective Bump Mapping) and have got a quite good result:

Compared to this, which uses my every shader (Depth Haze creates the blurry background, not DOF since it doesnt work) but RBM:

My problem is that every building and road in the background gets quite an obvious RBM effect unless i lower RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE=1000 down to say 50.
Having it at 50 lets me have a good fresnel effect (still wih flaws that ive yet to solve) on the cars paint but that also effects DOF and MXAO in a negative way. MXAO is gone and DOF is to unless i increase the amount bu then it looks off.

My question is, is there a way to make the shader have a own "..._FAR_PLANE='-value? Or multiply the _FAR_PLANE with 0.2 to get 50 as a value? In that way i can use MXAO and DOF as usual but also have the fresnel effect.

Last, i dont know my way around coding shaders but im eager to learn enough to get by.
Last edit: 6 years 4 weeks ago by brother_david.

• crosire
More
6 years 4 weeks ago #5 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?
Sure. Open "ReflectiveBumpMapping.fx" and search for the following code:
float GetLinearDepth(float2 coords)
{
	return ReShade::GetLinearizedDepth(coords);
}
Replace that with the following:
{
#if RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_UPSIDE_DOWN
	texcoord.y = 1.0 - texcoord.y;
#endif
	float depth = tex2Dlod(DepthBuffer, float4(texcoord, 0, 0)).x;

#if RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_LOGARITHMIC
	const float C = 0.01;
	depth = (exp(depth * log(C + 1.0)) - 1.0) / C;
#endif
#if RESHADE_DEPTH_INPUT_IS_REVERSED
	depth = 1.0 - depth;
#endif
	const float N = 1.0;
	depth /= RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE_2 - depth * (RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE_2 - N);

return depth;
}
Now it will use the value of a RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE_2 define instead of RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Insomnia, AssassinsDecree, brother_david

• Marty McFly
More
6 years 4 weeks ago #6 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?
The far plane is the wrong value to tweak. It's used to convert raw depth buffer to linear (as in: proportional to distance to camera) one, so position calculations can be made. While changing it to a (false) value might distort the depth buffer data so it happens to create the desired result somewhat, it's still not viable to modify it.
What your changes do is merely screwing up the depth values so after a certain distance the calculated positions of objects are so off that the shader won't create any reflections anymore.
So what I've got from your text is that you want a fade out option, correct?
The following user(s) said Thank You: brother_david

• brother_david
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 weeks ago #7 by brother_david Replied by brother_david on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?
Thank you Crosire and thank you Marty!

Im definitely with you on that its the wrong way to do it since it alteres the funtamental value that the FAR_PLANE gives but im simply bad at this (for now).
Yes that would be what im looking for, maybe something similar to the MXAO UI MXAO_FADE_DEPTH_START and MXAO_FADE_DEPTH_END (which is really nice btw).

• brother_david
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #8 by brother_david Replied by brother_david on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?

crosire wrote: Sure. Open "ReflectiveBumpMapping.fx" and search for the following code:

{
}
{
#endif

const float C = 0.01;
#endif
	depth = 1.0 - depth;
#endif
	const float N = 1.0;
	depth /= RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE_2 - depth * (RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE_2 - N);

return depth;
}
Now it will use the value of a RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE_2 define instead of RESHADE_DEPTH_LINEARIZATION_FAR_PLANE.

Tried to replace that piece of code with the one you gave me, unfortunatly it hands me a shader compiling error. Ive added ..._FAR_PLANE_2=40 to dxgi.ini, also tried adding it to Reshade.fxh if that matters but no luck.

• brother_david
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #9 by brother_david Replied by brother_david on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?
Heres how the different combinations look for comparison, as stated by Marty, changing the _FAR_PLANE is the wrong way but ill take what i get :) Its quite obvious that alot gets messed up when i change that to 40, although my issue with RBM is toned way down.

My current preset with:

_FAR_PLANE=1000, RBM

_FAR_PLANE=1000, No RBM

_FAR_PLANE=40, RBM

_FAR_PLANE=40 No RBM
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by brother_david.

• brother_david
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #10 by brother_david Replied by brother_david on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?
Im very much stuck unfortunatly.
Tried to figure out how to get the code you posted Crosire, to work but no luck.
Also tried to make it the RBM settings distance adjustable but no luck with that either :pinch:

• brother_david
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago #11 by brother_david Replied by brother_david on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?

crosire wrote: Sure. Open "ReflectiveBumpMapping.fx" and search for the following code:

{
}
{
#endif

const float C = 0.01;
#endif
	depth = 1.0 - depth;
#endif
	const float N = 1.0;

return depth;
}

I must be stupid, i cannot get this to work. I dont know if i need to add lines to other files too? Reshade.fx for example?

• TheBlueOne
More
5 years 10 months ago #12 by TheBlueOne Replied by TheBlueOne on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?
I'm not very familiar with HLSL or coding in reshade but "GetLinearDepth()" is a function that can be called by other code in the file. If you replace that with the function crosire wrote, the code that calls that function will get other data from it. So basically replace the whole function with the new function and you should not need to edit anything else.

• brother_david
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago #13 by brother_david Replied by brother_david on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?
I think thats what ive done. I replaced the part above with his code. The original function returns ReShade::GetLinearizedDepth(coords), Crosires function returns 'depth'. Can that have something to do with it? Code later in the shader calls for the GetLinearizedDepth if i understand it right.

• crosire
More
5 years 10 months ago #14 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?
It would be useful to specify what "I cannot get this to work" means. Btw. "DepthBuffer" should be "ReShade::DepthBuffer" in that code, small syntax mistake I made when I wrote it up.

• brother_david
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #15 by brother_david Replied by brother_david on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?
Not very explainative of me but what i mean is that ive tried replacing the GetLinearized...-code with yours, which btw looks like the one in the Reshade.fxh?. Also added FAR_PLANE_2=40 as a preprocessor definition. I have tried replacing every FAR_PLANE in the rbm shader with FAR_PLANE_2. Also tried fiddeling with the Reshade.fxh.
Now ive tried replacing Depthbuffer with what you rote just now, so now the code looks like this:

{
#endif
float depth = tex2Dlod(ReShade::DepthBuffer, float4(texcoord, 0, 0)).x;

const float C = 0.01;
#endif
depth = 1.0 - depth;
#endif
const float N = 1.0;

return depth;
}

Trying to find a typo in the code cause RBM wont show up in the shaders list but i get no error loading Reshade. Im guessing there is some coding error. Do i need to do something with the 'return depth;' code?

I highly appreciate all the help ive got so far, i am as you probably can see, a real newb when it comes to coding, so i understand if you get frustrated.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by brother_david.

• crosire
More
5 years 10 months ago #16 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?
"float GetLinearDepth(float2 coords)" should be "float GetLinearDepth(float2 texcoords)". You can check errors on the log tab.

• brother_david
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago #17 by brother_david Replied by brother_david on topic Possible to have shader use own ..._FAR_PLANE?
Checked errros log, it mentions texcoords as and undeclared identifier. Changed all texcoord to coords instead and it loads. Dont know if thats wrong. I do see now that the code says both texcoord and texcoord(s) so might try using texcoords everywhere instead when i get back.
Shader looks off at the moment so if changing all to texcoords doesnt change much of the look then its a dead end unfortunatly.Getting that damn fresnel look for BeamNG is hard but might have tracked down another way to do it, that uses Torque 3Ds attributes dirct on the materials instead of an overlay on the screen.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.