Better understanding the Advanced Motion Blur

• Constantine PC
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #1 by Constantine PC Better understanding the Advanced Motion Blur was created by Constantine PC
First of all I'd like to state i'm a big fan of the Advanced motion blur effect. I think it's really great.

Unfortunately I have very little understanding of how to properly use it. I've never tinkered with Gem FX effects before the Framework so I honestly have no clue what i'm doing.

Now the Settings for advanced motion blur are listed as follows, I'd like to ask questions about individual ones I don't quite understand fully:

#define ambDepth_Check - I think this one is pretty straight forward. So i'm good on this one.
#define ambDepthRatio - Not 100% sure on this one. Is this adding more blur based on the distance of the depth buffer?
#define ambRecall - I have no clue what this one is doing. It seems to greatly increase the motion blur effect.
#define ambPrecision - Again I have no clue.
#define ambSoftness - No clue. It's defined as softness of consequential streaks.
#define ambSmartMult - Seems to be straight forward as well. I'm good on this one too.
#define ambIntensity - Intensity is straight forward. But what is the Base motion blur effect?(exactly)
#define ambSmartInt - Same as Ambintensity but what is the Smart motion blur effect?(exactly)

Sorry for bugging you on this one but I think this would be a "win win" for a lot of people. If I don't quite get the settings i'm sure a few others don't as well :P
Also I thought this was the appropriate section for it since people can just check out this topic and get an understanding as well.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Constantine PC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fuze
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #2 by fuze Replied by fuze on topic Better understanding the Advanced Motion Blur
Yeah I would also want to know this too, becouse whatever I do with my config doesn't seem to look very good :P
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by fuze.

• Ganossa
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #3 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Better understanding the Advanced Motion Blur
#define ambDepthRatio => if Depth_Check is enabled, the blur effect will increase for closer "objects"

#define ambRecall => defines the likeliness of what is (initially) identified as a "moving object"

#define ambPrecision => defines the threshold that determines which of the identified "moving objects" are valid for the algorithm

#define ambSoftness => blur strenght of applied motion blur

#define ambIntensity => motion blur amount applied to anything (also non "moving objects")

#define ambSmartInt => motion blur amount applied to the valid "moving objects"

Hope that helps. :)

Initial values should already be pretty good but it can differ from game to game. Also notice that they are tweaked for using depth buffer information. Having no depth buffer access, you should definitely decrease ambIntensity.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Ganossa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPulowski, Ioxa, fuze, SpinelessJelly, Constantine PC, jas01, TinchO, Aelius Maximus, Solano

• TinchO
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #4 by TinchO Replied by TinchO on topic Better understanding the Advanced Motion Blur
Thanks Lucifer. This will be quite useful

• fuze
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #5 by fuze Replied by fuze on topic Better understanding the Advanced Motion Blur
Thanks for the info :) I also have 1 question regarding Motion Blur, is it possible to achieve this kind of motion blur with this shader? Or we would need an per pixel motion blur shader for that?

• Constantine PC
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #6 by Constantine PC Replied by Constantine PC on topic Better understanding the Advanced Motion Blur
That screenshot looks like rotational Blur and I'm pretty sure this is object based blur that estimates velocity.
But I know what you mean you mean like Crysis Motion Blur (which is amazing) and this post pretty much sums if that is possible or not:

Motion Blur?

Basically TL;DR not yet possible.

But I've been combining Rotational Blur with this motion blur for some pretty good effects.

This motion blur is kind of confusing but once you get good values it actually looks pretty damn good(the stock values are actually great but some games it might need a bit of tweaking). Also i'm finding Ambient Light seems to help the effect. Perhaps due to the way it adds bloom/light to everything. I don't really know.

Also about that post. I wonder how they got that motion blur in GTA 4 working. It's quite nice and was always my favorite thing about using an ENB with GTA 4 (it did a wonderful job of covering up the jumpy and erratic frame-rate of that "wonderful" pc port)
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Constantine PC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fuze

• fuze
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #7 by fuze Replied by fuze on topic Better understanding the Advanced Motion Blur
I like the "yet" :) And yeah, thats Crysis's stock motion blur :D and I am looking forward to your implementation with rotational blur :)

• Ganossa
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #8 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Better understanding the Advanced Motion Blur
Rotation (motion) blur shouldn't be to complicated as long as it is not directional (which would make it more performance heavy). However, the first thing I want to do at the weekend, is finishing an eye adaptation shader. Since this shouldn't take to long either, I might even have some time for some more motion blur options. :unsure: lets see
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Ganossa.

• Constantine PC
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 8 months ago #9 by Constantine PC Replied by Constantine PC on topic Better understanding the Advanced Motion Blur
I actually Re-visited the Advanced Motion Blur shader in a game with great Depth-Buffer Access (Arkham City) and I actually REALLY like the way it looks.

I found these settings pretty good for with depth-buffer access:
Warning: Spoiler!

I like the way 10.0 softness looks, It has some "streaky" issues with over-the-top strength settings but I think it really smooths out an image.
I find 3.5 Softness looks far too "ghosty" even lower is worse.

here is a video using the settings above:

Video Displaying Advanced MB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ganossa

• Ganossa
More
8 years 8 months ago #10 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Better understanding the Advanced Motion Blur
Overhauling motion blur is the next big project on my list (+ the motion effect for light which was proposed a while ago)

Hope you can profit from it ConstantinePC :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyAlt

• Solano
More
8 years 7 months ago #11 by Solano Replied by Solano on topic Better understanding the Advanced Motion Blur
Eye adaptation shader?!
Heck yes!
I am looking forward to this one LuciferHawk!

• Ganossa
More
8 years 7 months ago #12 by Ganossa Replied by Ganossa on topic Better understanding the Advanced Motion Blur
This is a very old post. The adaptation shader is already finshed for a long time.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.