Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cinematic DOF mouse focus + SWRE

Cinematic DOF mouse focus + SWRE 1 month 12 hours ago #1

Hi! I'm using the new cinematic DOF from the latest version. I set everything up the way I want using the mouse focus. But then, I switch to SWRE to resize the window and the pointer position gets lost. Of course it is possible to use the centering buttons on SWRE to look for my subject and try to focus again, but sometimes even that isn't possible.
Can the focus be locked somehow once it's where we want?
Thanks for your help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cinematic DOF mouse focus + SWRE 1 month 11 hours ago #2

Disable autofocus and mousefocus and then set the focus distance manually.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RakkhiveFace

Cinematic DOF mouse focus + SWRE 1 month 9 hours ago #3

Thanks for your answer.
So, there's no way to use both mouse focus and window resizing. Mouse focus is so practical nexto to manually setting focus position and distance the old fashioned way...
It seems the shader keeps tracking mouse position even if the game's window isn't active anymore. Maybe there's a way to circumvent this.

Thanks again
Last Edit: 1 month 9 hours ago by RakkhiveFace.

Cinematic DOF mouse focus + SWRE 1 month 1 hour ago #4

RakkhiveFace wrote:
Thanks for your answer.
So, there's no way to use both mouse focus and window resizing. Mouse focus is so practical nexto to manually setting focus position and distance the old fashioned way...
It seems the shader keeps tracking mouse position even if the game's window isn't active anymore. Maybe there's a way to circumvent this.

Thanks again
I wrote the shader, no there's no way to circumvent it, sadly, as all that's done is the mouse coords being send to the shader with ever frame by reshade. I hear you regarding the mouse tracking for autofocus. It doesn't work in all situations, like the one you refer to: you want to switch to srwe to scale the resolution, and you then have to move the mouse, which likely is picked up by the game window (it might not, though, but it likely will) which in turn is then intercepted by reshade and passed on by the shader, ruining the setup focus.

So in that case, use manual focus, or autofocus through the usage of the crosshair and the autofocus point. I personally mostly use manual focus. Switch on the setting to show the focus planes when mouse button is down and use e.g. shift + mouse drag on the manual focus textbox to quickly move the focus plane to the spot you want it to be, then release the shift key and use mouse drag to position the focus point precisely. Switch off the setting to visualize the focus planes on mouse down and tweak the blur / highlights. :)

Mouse-driven autofocus works best if you are using a DSR resolution and thus not SRWE. You can then quickly set the focus, hide reshade menu and take the shot. In situations where you e.g. want to tweak the settings after you've set up the focus aren't situations where mouse-driven autofocus is the best option, you then better use one of the other options to set the focus point :)
Last Edit: 1 month 1 hour ago by OtisInf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RakkhiveFace

Cinematic DOF mouse focus + SWRE 4 weeks 2 days ago #5

Wow... this is a luxury. Thank you for your thorough answer!
So, it seems I got so excited about how easy the mouse focus system was that I never actually explored the manual options, assuming manually setting things up would be like in DOF.fx.
After reading your post I worked on the focus planes bar until i got it right. And it turned out to be almost as easy as using the mouse focus.
Well... I got a lot to have fun with now :)

Thank you again for your time and all these wonderful things you created.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OtisInf