GPU upscaling sharpener?

• RealNC
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #1 by RealNC GPU upscaling sharpener? was created by RealNC
Hello!

I'm using the Luma Sharpen shader to make 1080p less blurry on my 1440p monitor. But I wonder if there's some shader out there that was made specifically for de-blurring GPU upscaling?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Marty McFly
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #2 by Marty McFly Replied by Marty McFly on topic GPU upscaling sharpener?
ReShade only modifies the game output, upscaling happens after. So if you run a game in 1080p, ReShade will operate in this resolution and the output will then get upscaled to your screen size. So even though sharpening the 1080p result might make it look sharper on 1440p upscale, there are limits since ReShade doesn't operate on the upscaled output.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Marty McFly.

• RealNC
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #3 by RealNC Replied by RealNC on topic GPU upscaling sharpener?
It would seem to me that this actually favors ReShade. Since ReShade operates on the original pixels, it could in theory modify them in a way that makes the image look sharper after the upscaling. At least on NVidia, the GPU upscaler uses plain old bilinear filtering, which has predictable behavior. You can tell what the results are going to be. You cannot tell what the source was after the fact.

So it's better that ReShade doesn't operate on the upscaled image. If it would operate after the upscaling, it wouldn't know what the original pixels looked like. That information is lost forever.

• remzawi
More
5 years 7 months ago #4 by remzawi Replied by remzawi on topic GPU upscaling sharpener?
Doesn't enabling nvidia quality upscaling in nvidia inspector help reduce blur ?

• RealNC
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #5 by RealNC Replied by RealNC on topic GPU upscaling sharpener?

remzawi wrote: Doesn't enabling nvidia quality upscaling in nvidia inspector help reduce blur ?

Nope. I don't know what this setting does, but the upscaler on consumer NVidia cards is a fixed, non-programmable logic that does bilinear only. The Quadro cards can do better upscaling, so maybe that setting does something there.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.