Possible? virtual extrawide Resolution for shader

• Barduk
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #1 by Barduk Possible? virtual extrawide Resolution for shader was created by Barduk
So I'm messing around with perfect perspective which is a great shader that makes playing at high fov a lot more fun.

Now because of how the shader works the image gets stretched in the middle so zooming out helps with that. Because of this however there will empty parts on the sides of the screen.

Because of this I would like to get the Game to render at a resolution my monitor wouldn't be able to display normally in order for additional Information to be created that then becomes visible after the zoom.

Some pictures that illustrate what I want to do: (at a resolution I can actually use currently)
Disregard that I didn't change the fov so you don't actually see more of the world at the wider resolution

1. What using it at my current Resolution looks like

2. What it would theoretically look like on a slightly wider screen (the wanted virtual resolution)

3. What it will look like in the end. The black bars on the side represent where the monitor ends.

Does anyone know of a way I could trick my GPU/system to render the Desktop/Game at a higher Resolution than can be displayed in this way?
Thanks for your help!
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Barduk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Barduk
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #2 by Barduk Replied by Barduk on topic Possible? virtual extrawide Resolution for shader
A short update I was able to achieve the effect I wanted in at least one Game: For Honor by setting the borderless Fullscreen Resolution at 1.1x width with borderless gaming(and offsetting it so the window is centered) and then wrapping the inivisble part off the sides of the screen into the visible part.

This doesnt work on all games I'd imagine depending on how the Engine reacts to this change in resolution. A lot of the time it just gets stretched.

These screenshots are in roughly 23:9 My monitor is 21:9 so in practice i cant see the borders on the sides with shaders active.
AlI in all I increased my fov without loss in Resolution and no weird stretching on the periphery.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Barduk.

• Fu-Bama
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #3 by Fu-Bama Replied by Fu-Bama on topic Possible? virtual extrawide Resolution for shader
Try maybe Nvidia Control Panel > Adjust desktop size and scaling > Size (tab) > Change size will do the trick. Some GPUs can go beyond-native resolution.

Great to hear you enjoy perfect perspective ^^
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Fu-Bama.

• Barduk
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago #4 by Barduk Replied by Barduk on topic Possible? virtual extrawide Resolution for shader
Thanks for your help and yeah I'd actually put what I'm trying to do as another selling point for your shader. The borderless windo solution actually seems much easier than anything else I tried and could be recommended as a relatively simple way of achieving higher fov than would be possible on your monitor while also looking good.

The Settings you showed me achieve the same things as custom resolutions i was trying. it just allows smaller Resolutions with black bars.
What would be needed are 2 virtual screens left and right of the main screen that are then used for a virtual eyefinity or what its called with nvidia setup, that could then be compressed onto the real Screen. But there doesnt seem to be an easy way to create virtual screens like that so I'm happy with my solution for now.
Even works with the new gsync on normal VRR monitors in windowed mode.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.