Welcome, Guest.
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD

New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD 3 months 2 weeks ago #21

@Viper_Joe Thanks for sharing! Those shaders look really interesting.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD 3 months 2 weeks ago #22

Sorry for the delay in replying. I have been busy and just saw your post.
I created this video for AMD/Nvidia users wanting to try out CAS.fx and Smart_Sharp.fx with ReShade using Far Cry 5 as example.
I am not a professional Youtuber, not monetised.
I just use Youtube to help people / run test cases / discuss issues on AMD Community Forum.
It should have all of the information you need:

Hope it is o.k.
Bye.
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Marty McFly.

New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD 1 month 4 weeks ago #23

Is there any way to lower the minimum sharpening of the CAS.fx shader? According to the UI 0 should be off but it's still sharpening the image when I turn the effect off an on. Thanks!

New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD 1 month 4 weeks ago #24

0 is the default value from what I know and above that it strengthens the effect, ctrl or shift or how it was and entering a manual value or a negative value might be possible to lessen it a bit or use something like Smart Sharp or M Sharp that incorporate CAS with additional options. :)
(Earlier commits from AMD's repository for this effect didn't have a value at all thus 0 as the default but it still applies the effect it's not zeroed.)

Smart sharp and the recent M sharp can be found here:
github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D/tree/.../Image%20Enhancement
The following user(s) said Thank You: petr23

New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD 1 month 4 weeks ago #25

JBeckman wrote:
0 is the default value from what I know and above that it strengthens the effect, ctrl or shift or how it was and entering a manual value or a negative value might be possible to lessen it a bit or use something like Smart Sharp or M Sharp that incorporate CAS with additional options. :)
(Earlier commits from AMD's repository for this effect didn't have a value at all thus 0 as the default but it still applies the effect it's not zeroed.)

Which one is better in your opinion? Maybe placebo but Smart sharp seems better than M_Sharp... however m sharp is a lot less taxing... i mean S_Sharp can take 5-8% of gpu power while M_sharp 1-2%
Last Edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by Synoxia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlueSkyKnight

New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD 1 month 4 weeks ago #26

Synoxia wrote:
JBeckman wrote:

Which one is better in your opinion? Maybe placebo but Smart sharp seems better than M_Sharp... however m sharp is a lot less taxing... I mean S_Sharp can take 5-8% of gpu power while M_sharp 1-2%

Yes, Smart Sharp is a bit more taxing because it's doing little more work on creating the Unsharp mask for image sharping.
Basic it's blurring it in a smart way.

Smart Sharp Filtering is based on bilateral image filtering. Hears is an explanation.
saplin.blogspot.com/2012/01/bilateral-im...edge-preserving.html

Performance improvements will come in time. So far I have been trying to keep the quality of the Sharpen found in smart sharp Without too much of a performance penalty.

I love the look of smart sharp. This is why I am careful with it. I love reading good and bad feedback. In the hopes of improving it.

Ok now let me talk about M_Sharp.

M_Sharp is called this because it basically sharpens shader based on a 3x3 Median filter. I am also not too happy with the look of Median Sharp. Something about it feels wrong right?........ I knew it was not just me.

I will be making a total of 3 sharpen Filters.
web.stanford.edu/class/cs448f/lectures/2.1/Sharpening.pdf

Thank you for your feedback.
Synoxia
My GitHub page where you can get the Latest release of SuperDepth3D github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D

My PayPal Me Link If you like to donate paypal.me/BlueSkyDefender

Also my steam page steamcommunity.com/id/BlueSkyDefender

Discord Server discord.gg/W2f7YhX
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by BlueSkyKnight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wicked Sick, Aelius Maximus, JBeckman, Viper_Joe, Marty, Faustus86

New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD 1 month 3 weeks ago #27

Hello.

Is it just me or is the contrast part of this shader not working great? Maybe it's because I play a d3d9 game - SWTOR. Or is it just that this sharpener is supposed to be used with upscaling?

Sharpening with default value of 0 is very harsh already - and it seems to sharpen areas which I would consider high contrast already.

How to modify this shader so you can change what kind of contrast triggers sharpening(or rather disables)?
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Compact.

New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD 1 month 2 weeks ago #28

I am using smart sharp as well because it has very good looking result's.
If i remember correctly it has a checkbox to reduce oversharpening in bright areas.

New Contrast Adaptive Sharpening from AMD 1 month 2 weeks ago #29

BlueSkyKnight wrote:
M_Sharp is called this because it basically sharpens shader based on a 3x3 Median filter. I am also not too happy with the look of Median Sharp. Something about it feels wrong right?........ I knew it was not just me.

I actually enjoy using M_sharp. Good performance and pretty nice look with no halos. My only issue is that CAS boost is giving me almost no visible change to the image.
Right now I'm using a combo of deblur shader (from presentations section) and your M_sharp, so perhaps it could affect my results & opinion here. Maybe you could find a way to combine it with your shader for a little stronger/finer effect? If I'm right it could also work a little faster than running two separate effects (like in my case/for people that are using deblur shader with it).
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by jas01.
  • Page: