Dithering - how can it be checked?

• MonarchX
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #1 by MonarchX Dithering - how can it be checked? was created by MonarchX
Dithering can be quite important to image quality, especially if the game's graphics produces banding, not necessarily one caused Vignette effect. I set Dithering method 2 in my profiles, but I've yet to notice a difference. In other applications, such as madVR, I can definitely see dithering working and doing its thing, but never in games. In fact, Film Grain has a better effect than Dithering in SweetFX 2.0/ReShade... Is it working? Or maybe only method 1 works properly? AFAIK, method 2 is Random dithering, while method 1 is Ordered dithering. Random dithering is supposed to be higher quality.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by MonarchX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crosire
More
8 years 11 months ago #2 by crosire Replied by crosire on topic Dithering - how can it be checked?
Dithering only really makes sense if the input format is in HDR. The color buffer ReShade can grab is usually LDR though, so the difference is marginal. It's only noticable if the game uses a backbuffer format with more than 8bit per color channel and only a very small amount of games do that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We use cookies
We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the forum. You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.